Recall WM02?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 12:59 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Question Recall WM02?

Recently called Porsche NA (1-800-PORSCHE) to check that all the recalls on my car have been done (you just need your VIN and they were very nice, even though my car is 14 years old).

The only outstanding one the girl said was "WM02 - fuel level guage sender".

I plan to go to the dealer to get it done free, but I am curious as to what this is. I searched here and www.alldatadiy.com and can't find any more details about this recall (the service rep. had no idea what it was about).

Anyone know what this one is about?

Thanks......Marc

Last edited by Marc Shaw; 04-07-2005 at 08:12 PM. Reason: lousy mental math
Old 04-07-2005, 01:02 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had it done on mine in 2001 IIRC. Didn't really ask - just let them do it.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:41 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Marc,

Thanks for the info! I just got off the phone with Porsche... I have two open recalls. The person said that they were fairly recent recalls and he didn't have the info about what they were about. He gave me the "part numbers" of WM03 and WM04. He said that I would have to call or visit the dealer to find out what these were all about.

Has anyone here heard of these recalls? If not... I'll call the dealer tomorrow and find out and then post back.

Rick
Old 04-07-2005, 08:12 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Rick - even if it does not apply to yours, please ask what WM02 is for me.

Thanks.......Marc
Old 04-07-2005, 08:28 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Marc,

Will do.

Rick
Old 04-08-2005, 09:26 AM
Jeremy Pinsly
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark,
Just called Porsche NA and I, too, had open "campaigns" for WM03 and WM04.....The service rep at P-NA didn't know what they were......told me to contact the dealer.....I have a 90 C2 Cab.......
Old 04-08-2005, 09:27 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

On my old C4, I had a couple outstanding. Went to the dealer & whilst the codes came up on the computer, they couldn't even find out what 2 of them were!!

Good luck!
Old 04-08-2005, 09:42 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey maybe we will get lucky and one will be to replace the cab locking motors like they are doing on the 993. Probably not but can always hope!
Old 04-08-2005, 09:47 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Maybe one of them is a flywheel recall! I'll call in a few and try to find out...
Old 04-08-2005, 11:26 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

I just got off the phone with three of the dealers in my area. (Now I remember why I hate servicing at the dealer!) I called each dealer 2 times. I was "disconnected" by 2 of the dealers twice. I finally got through to the service GM of the 1st store. He said that it would take him several hours to track down what the recall numbers were. I left my name and number for him to call me back. We'll see what happens. I'll post back if and when he calls back. It irks me that Porsche doesn't know what these numbers mean... Telling us something is wrong but not WHAT!
Old 04-08-2005, 11:31 AM
Dave R.
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Marc, I believe that recall replaces the sender with a new one that reads more conservatively than the original. Supposedly some folks ran out of fuel and blamed the gauge system so Porsche recalibrated the sender. If your current sender seems pretty accurate you might want to leave it alone.

The original owner of my car ('90 C2) had the sender replaced years ago under a recall, and then wished he'd stayed with the original sender.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:44 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Dont know if our senders are mechanical in the tank or not but it might not be to bad to get a new one if offered since these are almost 15 years old and maybe a bit gunked up by now and bound to crap out sooner or later.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:54 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

I just remembered that a buddy of mine works at a Porsche dealership that is out of state. He is on his way to work now but said he will look up the 3 recalls and get back to me today.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:17 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Okay... I spoke with Richard (Supposedly the GM of Service) at Len Stoler Porsche here in Maryland. After waiting on hold while he made phone calls and spoke to his service techs... He came back with the following...

WM03 - Recall having to do with the steering wheel lock.

WM04 - Recall having to do with the fuel level gauge.

I think he was guessing... He said the recall numbers didn't match exactly with his recall notices... But that is what his techs told him.

I asked him about WM02... He said that recall, per Porsche, didn't pertain to my car so, "He didn't care about that one." I told him that I was still curious as I wanted to pass along the info to the other Porsche owners on this board. He seemed unwilling or unable to help. Saying, "It doesn't affect your car!" He was rather rude in my opinion... Then said that I would have to schedule an appointment to bring the car in to have the work done... That they would not give me the parts to do it myself.

I am having problems with my low fuel warning lamp blinking every now and then... This could be the culprit... If he is correct. The fuel level gauge works.. Just the lamps blinks erratically.

I am going to follow-up with my friend to double check these recalls and also find out more about WM02. I'll keep everyone posted.

Rick
Old 04-08-2005, 05:11 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks for your effort - I'm surprised that they are so difficult about it!

Marc

Quick Reply: Recall WM02?