Sponsored by:

Interesting Article on Polishing Your Car

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 02:03 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Interesting Article on Polishing Your Car

I was poking around the Internet looking for any new products for auto detailing and I ran across this article.

Polishing Article

While a lot of what it says is a "no-brainer"... There are several interesting things pointed out about polishing your baby. What to use, when to use, how to use and why to use.

Just FYI...

Rick
Old 04-04-2005, 02:55 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 64 Posts

That is a good article Rick.

I have long been a Griotts Garage disciple, and I see a lot of what Griotts advocates in this article. In fact, I have succumbed to the hype, and bought the Random Orbital from Griotts (a modified Porter Cable).

Have not tried it yet, but as I have a black car, there are lots of very fine scratches (spider webs I would say) visible in the paint. I look forward to seeing what the polisher can do about that.

BGL
Old 04-04-2005, 03:33 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

I can recommend the Porter Cable Random Orbital.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:13 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

The problem with a power buffer is that you can cut or burn the paint after only a moment's inattention. Corners and edges are easiest to damage. Look at almost any car that has been through a used car mill, and you will find damaged paint where the buffer stayed one second too long.

Power buffers are for big panels, and work well only for people that have experience and quite a bit of skill. A 964 has very few big panels, and there are corners and edges on all of them. The write up makes the point that it is very tricky to polish without damaging the finish.

I have a random orbital polisher, but the 964 is small enough that I hand polish it. 3M makes a very good polish system for hand polishing. Meguires has a 3-step clean, polish, and wax system that will take care of most problems. Even if you power buff, you still need to hand polish near the any corner, edge, door handle, etc. It takes very little time to hand polish a car this small.

An airplane .... definitely need the 2 HP Porter Cable. A 964 - save your money. Hand polishing gives a better result, and removes less paint.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:24 PM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Me, I find it all therapeutic......all by hand.

kevin
Old 04-04-2005, 06:02 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've read a bunch of articles over the years about polishing cars. Almost all always start out with "Anything you can do with a power tool, you can do by hand". Then, most go right into full swing about the PC tool...

So, I've always done my polishing on the 911 (and other cars I value) by hand. I have gotten a few (small) trophies from local concours events, so some judges must have liked my finish on my car... I've seen way too many cars with massive swirl marks and damage from power buffers. Like Springer says, these are really quite small cars and they clean up pretty quickly.

But, I guess if you know what you are doing, a power buffer can work well.

Just my $.02...

Jay
90 964
Old 04-04-2005, 10:42 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

I agree that hand polishing is the way to go. Zymol recommends a back and forth motion to put on the wax and a back and forth motion to take it off. You should work in straight lines front to back instead of a circular motion, which helps to increase the swirl marks! I just spent 6 hours cleaning my queen today. I started with a nice bath. I took a trip to Auto Zone and stocked up on a few detail items I needed and several more micro fiber towels. I found a brush that can clean the inside of the rims without having to take them off. I think it spoils the look of a detailed car to see shiny outer rims but brake dust all over the inside of the rim. The brush I found works great. I did have to move forward a little to be able to get all the inner front rims.

Here's a few pics taken today...

It really shined up. After the wash I clay-barred all the horizontal surfaces and then applied Zymol to the whole car. Looks as good as the day I got it... If not better!

Adrian's book was delivered today mid way through my work on the car. It was tempting to stop detailing and start reading but I decided to finish the job. I am impressed with the size of the book. It's going to take me a while to get through it... But it looks like it gives you all the answers.

Last edited by Smokin; 04-04-2005 at 11:32 PM.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:17 AM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the words of Paris Hilton...
"That's hot".
Brian
Old 04-05-2005, 03:35 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Man, that car red 964 is "Smokin". Very nice.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:52 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys... I appreciate the kind words...
Old 04-05-2005, 05:04 PM
Christer
Race Car

Actually.....my car looked almost as good as that once....then I got into mods and the cosmetics took a bit of a back seat... nice job!
Old 04-05-2005, 05:07 PM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll prep your car for a set of calipers ;-))

kevin
Old 04-05-2005, 07:13 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Car looks wonderful. Can't wait to get at mine; all the polishing will be by hand, even if it is a PITA.

Nice tail- looks kinda like mine....
Old 04-05-2005, 07:18 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by hawk911
Car looks wonderful. Can't wait to get at mine; all the polishing will be by hand, even if it is a PITA.

Nice tail- looks kinda like mine....
Hey, that cheating! That's the shot you already showed us.....

We are all like junkes, need a constant fix of new P-car photos.

When do you go get the new beauty?

Marc
Old 04-05-2005, 07:23 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
Hey, that cheating! That's the shot you already showed us.....

We are all like junkes, need a constant fix of new P-car photos.

When do you go get the new beauty?

Marc
We pick her up Friday. I'll post probably Sunday night when we get home - look for new pix. I'm a picture junkie too, so I'll flood the scene with pix. Are there size limits here; I can't tell based on how large some shots are...

Quick Reply: Interesting Article on Polishing Your Car