Sponsored by:

Can I/Should I do this?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2001, 01:30 PM
Thom Fitzpatrick
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Can I/Should I do this?

I have a 3.6 with a broken head stud. There's a track event @ Thunderhill on December 3rd. Should I send the car to get fixed, first, risking that it won't be done it time, or could I run it like that?
Old 10-31-2001, 02:54 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 212 Posts
Thom;

What you would be risking is $$$$. If the head loosens up, you are likely to warp the cylinder and pound out the head sealing surface. What happens if the added stress causes another stud to break. It's only money. If you start to hear the typical exhaust clacking sound, its to late.
Old 11-01-2001, 12:15 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Thom, without a doubt, I would get this fixed...especially before attending a track event!

Kevin is absolutely correct in detailing the chain of events that follow if you continue to drive the car with a broken head stud. Major $$$$.
Old 11-01-2001, 01:55 AM
Thom Fitzpatrick
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I talked to the shop today, and I'm going take it in next week. The new studs and nuts should arrive tomorrow.

Tonight, I put the other PowerHaus intake valve cover on. When I went to put the plug wires back on, one wouldn't go. Hmm. I stick my finger down the hole and... yup, another broken stud (not on the same side though)

Quick Reply: Can I/Should I do this?