Sponsored by:

What does your wife / Husband / Girlfriend / Boyfriend think about your Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 09:52 PM
Sultan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cam Arnott
she can shop like no other woman I know!
You haven't met my wife, her logic..."who cares if you don't need it, just buy it cuz its on sale, you'll never know when you'll need 5 magic bullets"....WTF !!! LOL
Old 10-07-2010, 10:18 PM
mac109
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

I too contemplated and procrastinated looking for the perfect car....after showing my wife a nice one, she went out and test drove it and started the buying process "forcing" me to move on it. She is not a car person but now loves the car...it's been a great experience for us....thanks to all who share on this forum...its priceless.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:11 AM
AlexBurke
Intermediate

My wife hates it! Big bone of contention for us. I think she's just jealous.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:37 AM
nirich
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

This has been a fascinating read………….from way back in 2003.

Now, my contribution.

I purchased my 964 just on five years ago, my very first Porsche. Something I never thought I would ever own.

The day I brought it home my wife made the comment “why on earth would you spend THAT much on a Porsche?”
The following day she made the comment “I guess I would never be allowed to drive it”………I gave her the keys and she drove the 964 to work all that week. She thought the car was cool and enjoyed driving it. Over the next 2 years she probably only drove it about 3 times and then we purchased MB SLK230, which she loves. She never drove my 964 at all for the next 3 years.

We then purchased a 964 Targa about 6 months ago; she rarely drove it preferring her MB. Then a few weeks ago, some flying debris damaged her MB during a week of strong winds. Broken rear windscreen, some panel damage on the trunk, tail light and rear quarter. This meant the MB was off the road until a new windscreen could be found and fitted (2 weeks) and will be off the road for a further two weeks until the body shop gets the panel and paint sorted.

This meant she has been driving the Targa…………..a lot. We did a Porsche run with ten other 911’s one Sunday, she drove the Targa and I took mine, plus she has been commuting to work and using the Targa as the grocery getter.

Her comment yesterday, completely out of the blue: “I now get it”
Old 10-08-2010, 08:55 AM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

My wife doesn´t like fast,noisy and low sport cars, so she almost never rides with me in the 964.
Regarding the expenses involved in having a Porsche she spends more money than me in her hobby (saving and feeding stray cats and dogs) so we are even
Old 10-08-2010, 04:14 PM
eman123
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My wife had absolutely zero interest in it when I bought my GP 964 C4 a year ago. (Just another toy for her juvie husband During which new wheels , Exhaust bypass and new clutch added for $$$$!!

About 3 months ago we went for a drive during which I pulled over, got out and asked her to get in the drivers seat. She did and drove home. She then proclaimed after ~15 milest hat SHE LOVES IT!!..saying it was very fast (which is odd considering she drives my M5 from time to time ..and it's much faster)

I think she digs the cool, retro look.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:28 PM
alex973
Instructor

pusing my luck, she don't get it.

she just can't understand why am i sitting in the car
with my helmet on mid January. i tell her i am planing
on plowing the snow outside
Old 11-09-2010, 07:30 PM
ian89C4
Pro

Since I met my wife, there has always been a Porsche in the relationship, actually, I think it would be weird with out one. She likes going to track events, even though she does not get to drive (although I am trying to get her to do a DE, but for some reason she thinks she will break the car). I actually spun out in the Boxster one day on a back road with her in the car, ended up very deep into a ditch, and she was completely focused on getting the car out and on the road, heck of a (girlfriend at the time) woman if you ask me, being that she didn't leave me for the fact that I love driving fast on twisty roads. I actually think that the pic below says it all
Attached Images  
Old 11-09-2010, 08:07 PM
Moffman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 964 Bob
I guess I am lucky. My wife isn'r really interested in cars. That is until I mentioned that instead of buying a new Jappanneese car I could also buy a Porsche 911. I happened to have my eye on a beautifull yellow 911 cabrio. To my surpise she reacted very positive (so even after 15 years of marriage you can still be surprised).

It even gets better! The car wasn't very well maintainted and converted from a coupe. Blinded as I was I saw only the looks. My wife however said "If you want to buy a Porsch spend more and buy a good one."

Which I did. I now own a near perfect 964 midnight metallic blue C4 coupe. So for me she's the #1 (closely followed by the porsche of course).
I'm sorry but I can't understand how someone accidentally buys a coupe converted to cab, you didn't check the vin or anything before buying the car?
Old 11-09-2010, 08:10 PM
Moffman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Devia
Sonny - get her some Dramanine, I have to use that when I go out on boats, or am a passenger with a lively driver!

Since I didn't see any women posting, I just had to toss in my .02. I personally prefer to drive, that way I never get the motion sickness. But if a woman or a man that you are dating cannot stand your car, then that's a relationship breaker...how do I know? You can hunt down a thread where we gave stories on our Porsches. I lost my 1st Porsche due to an exfiance who traded it in on a lease on a Ford Explorer to cover the hot check he had written the dealership!

That traumatized me so much I moved out within the year, and left a 7 year relationship. He had other issues (bad check writing) and I just couldn't live my life that way. I have to do it honestly, or no dice.

So here I am 5 years after losing the first and have acquired another. Now I have the opposite problem you guys have, my boyfriend hates driving a stick! So he never asks to drive her. I wouldn't let him until I get the clutch replaced, he would mess up the gears.

But now I know where you guys are coming from on the cars: He's SICK of hearing about Porsches from me, and freaked when I told him I have to get my old one back, or a 951. But I found his weakness - 928s. He'd be happy with one in an automatic, but I warned him about the upkeep.

So, we have an agreement, and since I'm the one that takes care of the cars anyway, well he can't complain too much to me. At least the deal we have is that I get to spend the same amount of money as we did on buying and fixing his Eagle Talon...he just forgot how much I personally put into it, and had to remind him, ie, alarm, good stereo with removeable faceplate, tires, new timing belts, etc. He's actually happy with the car, so I'm focusing on my car now.

So if any of you have a girlfriend that wants you to get rid of your Porsche, RUN! Run away! I was sorry for a long time.

But I am heartened to hear so many that have wives and girlfriends that have joined in racing and such. So heartwarming!

I'm sure you'll hear from Pat and Michelle on this, and maybe Slinky - they are a few of the other gals on the board with me.

= Julie
Will you marry me? I come with a 964.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:55 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 576 Likes on 365 Posts

Bumping a old thread.

Last weekend we were driving home from lunch and my wife asked to take some pictures with the car. She really liked our 993 but she seems to have taken a new liking to the 964.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:59 AM
mnmlod
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

What a fun thread! My wife, in the beginning knew I loved these cars but always said that they " weren't practical ". One day, a few weeks before my 40 th, I was talking to her cousin on the computer before work. He owned a beautiful 964 that I had admired for years. He said he was selling his car to buy a new 997 convertible. As I was leaving the house, I mentioned that I talked to Greg... Blah, blah, blah...the family is good, he's selling his car...blah, blah, blah. She said, " you should get that car ". I was totally floored. Needless to say, I called him from work and bought a plane ticket to L.A. for the next day, in case she changed her mind. I've had it for 10 wonderful years.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:30 AM
fluxdon
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Generally my wife is not too pleased with the car.
First of all through my history of cars, I can understand her sceptic about “old” cars. Way back I had an old 79´ Ford Escord which couldn´t idle and one time she had to drive it herself in heavy traffic :-/. After that I had a Toyota GT Coupe and a Celica which all of them had to have a new cylinder head gasket replaced, costly, and not very popular. Since then I have been driving brand new Audi´s without any complications and very easy to drive (boring) which she very much enjoyed.
From her point of view buying the porker meant being expensive and unreliable. Even though it had been expensive it has not unreliable and at some point I think she at least can understand why I like it especially because the leather and slight smell of oil is something that reminds her of her father and grandfarthers car. She is a very good driver but does not appreciate the bottom hinced clutch, so she only drives it when I cannot *cheers*, and then she does not like the attention the car brings and that “people look”.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:34 AM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My Girlfriend loves my car. We go on short trips with it and explore country back roads. She even helped me put a ducktail on this weekend.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:14 PM
Sleepy996
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 56 Posts

Me in the RS and wife in the 964. I restored the original D90 wheels and put some new rubber on so my wife wouldn't have to worry about bending the Rotiforms I had on the car previously. She calls the 964 Bruce and loves the thing. I love seeing peoples reaction of her getting out of a caged 964 with bypass pipes its priceless. My wife knew what a big part of my life these cars mean to me when we first started dating and she does nothing but support the habit but you have to have balance in life. I support her in her own hobbies as well.

Quick Reply: What does your wife / Husband / Girlfriend / Boyfriend think about your Porsche