Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check strap removal/replacement guide

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 06:13 PM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 103 Posts

This what I did to my 964 turbo straps, I shaved a little off the rubber parts, the tension on the metal it will break with new straps , see link below, 993 and 964 is the same

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...rap_detent.htm
Old 04-22-2019, 09:19 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Infinite1
Thanks for the reply. I removed that clip and it still wouldn't move i sprayed it down with penetrating fluid so hopefully that may loosen it up by the time I get home.
Got it, try using a socket with a small c-clamp to gently pop off the pin.
Old 04-11-2023, 12:29 PM
Litho
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
Insert new check-strap through speaker hole and bolt in place using supplier bolts and 10 mm wrench. Insert new pin and tap in place with hammer and then clip circlip onto pin again. Slather on lots of grease and you're done!

If reinforcement plates are used, follow instructions in kit. Basically put plate with curved edge inside door with curved part inward and forward with check-strap through centre hole. Tie string to other piece (so you don't drop it down inside the door!) and put outside door but inside of outer metal skin to sandwich metal of door between plates. Secure plates and check-strap with supplied longer bolts/washers and secure with 5 mm allen key. Just be careful that outerplate is as far towards inner part of door as possible and centred around check-strap or it'll foul on the check-strap tongue as the door closes.

Adding the reinforcement plates does add to the complexity and time required to do it (once you see it, it makes more sense as it is hard to describe but the
instructions that come with the plates are very good). In the book "101 Projects for your Porsche 911" he highly recommends these plates and they really seem to beef up the door. If the metal inside the door breaks or tears, you'll likely need a new door as welding inside the door is almost impossible. The a-pillar is also weak but can be fixed.

I felt it was worth the extra effort to install the reinforcement plates (and extra money as those plates are not cheap) and I'm happy I did it as I know my doors are safe from damage.
It's been a while i know, but did you have to remove some pieces on the inside of the door?
The following users liked this post:
Turbo Jonny (04-12-2023)

Quick Reply: Check strap removal/replacement guide