Carbon Fiber Interior?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2002, 03:12 PM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Carbon Fiber Interior?

....this morning I was trolling the Internet looking at Porsche parts and gizmos that my ever-loving and oh-so inquisitive wife would no doubt object to. "Do you really need a carbon fiber dash kit?" Need is relative, but they sure look cool.

<a href="http://www.billetdesign.com/p_inter.htm" target="_blank">Billet Designs Carbon Fiber Kits</a>

Any 964 owners out there put one of these kits in their cars? If so, please share your photos!

Terry
'90 C4 Cabriolet
<a href="http://www.p-caronline.com/directory/c4_guy/" target="_blank">http://www.p-caronline.com/directory/c4_guy/</A>
Old 08-25-2002, 05:01 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts
Although I have a 993 the design is the same and I have installed the genuine Porsche carbon kit. His prices are not bad at all.

You can see pics through the link at the bottom of my signature. I really love how my car looks with the carbon interior.
Old 08-25-2002, 10:56 AM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

Talking

Danny,

That looks pretty sweet!
I'm sure a genuine Porsche interior must have cost a bundle. At least when you buy from the factory you don't worry about fit or finish - you know it's going to be right. Did you install the kit yourself or have Porsche install it?

Terry
'90 C4 Cabriolet
<a href="http://www.p-caronline.com/directory/c4_guy/" target="_blank">http://www.p-caronline.com/directory/c4_guy/</A>
Old 08-25-2002, 02:36 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Terry i had seen previously non factory carbon and it does not compare. I bought the factory set used from an auction as well as the silver gauges. They did not cost as much as new factory items but you cannot tell the difference. As far as i could see your site sell the factory carbon kit and the price is not bad at all.
Installation was pretty much done by my mechanic ( I helped during the install) not Porsche and you cannot tell the difference. The install is a DIY project but you have to be patient!
You will need to remove the steering wheel (easy)
gauges(easy), unscrew the top of the dash ( easy) the bottom part (easy) and unglue the factory parts. The airbag portion of the dash is a bit tricky as the two pieces are not glued but connected with a rail together. In general though not a difficult DYI, you will just need patience. When you are ready to do it email me and I will give you some more detailed pointers.
The steering wheel cost a pretty penny but it is worth it and the carbon/alu brake handle was the only PITA to install.
Old 08-25-2002, 07:14 PM
SonnyV
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Terry,

I have a Carbon fiber trim kit from MA Shaw, that is a 3M adhesive stick on. It looks great and a lot cheaper than Porsche factory item.

Picture can be seen at link below.

Sonny
Old 08-25-2002, 08:53 PM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

Thanks Sonny - your car looks great. I took the liberty of posting your cars interior shot (hope you don't mind!) for convenience of others who are following this thread.

I'm curious, how's the fit & finish of an adhesive product?
Old 08-25-2002, 10:57 PM
GeoC2cab
Racer

High,
In my 1991 cab, I use the factory tequipment(very high quality, no other aftermarket compares), it is quite expensive however, I didnt do the whole dash like Sonny , just used the drivers side door handle, the gauge surround, the shifter and e-brake, and the passenger door handle. Nice dose of carbon fibre w/o overdosing. I have checked on Billet(got the door handles form them), and service was good as well as prices. Just a satisfied customer. Inject the venom.....
Old 08-26-2002, 12:56 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Sonny I really like the silver on your car. I saw a Turbo like yours in Victoria BC and i must have been staring at it for a good 5 minutes. Its a shame the colour did not carry over. I'm not really hot on the present silver.
Your interior does look good but I would agree with GEO as to the quality of the factory items. Especially when it comes to the dash piece around the instruments, i see the stick on does not cover the entire area.
In any case your car looks really good. A definate keeper!
Old 08-26-2002, 03:17 AM
SonnyV
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Hi all,

I agree that the factory items are great and the best choice. But I don't have (didn't have) a lot of money to spend on something like that.

I opted for the MA Shaw kit and I like it very much. This kit can be removed without damage to the original trims below. I installed the kit myself. It was not too difficult to install. It was kind of nervous to stick trim pieces in a car that used to cost over 100k. But it is my and I get to do what I want with it, :-).

Some have ask for information on the kit. It can be found at <a href="http://www.mashaw.com" target="_blank">www.mashaw.com</a> or just call Mike, the owner ans ask for it.

If you need information on installation, please let me know. Although I have to say that the two pieces on the lower dash near the steering column did not fit perfectly. I had to file them down to get them to fit, trial and error style. Other than that, all you need is some patience and a hair dryer to heat up some pieces.

Regards,

Sonny
Old 08-26-2002, 04:19 AM
SonnyV
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Hi Danny,

Thanks for the comment about the color. I've only seen or known 2 other Turbos with this color. One is a '91 C2 Turbo of Kevin Ross, and the other is a '94 Turbo 3.6 somewhere here is southern california that I saw that a local Porsche car show. My car's silver was the Audis silver of the 80s I believe. At first when I saw the car, I thought it looked just like the gold/silver of my sister's camry... :-). Thank god it was not. The color was a special ordered color that cost over $3k. I am very thankful that someone got the money to ordered it way back in '92.

Speaking of silver, I don't like the current Artic silver at all. It is just too flat and does not bring all out all the curves of car. This is just my opinion, please don't flame me. I read somewhere that about %45 of all Porsches sold are in some sort of shades of silver. I really like Polar silver, with some blues in the tint. It is a classic color.

Regards,

Sonny

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Interior?