Porsche wet sump, Corvette dry sump

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 02:59 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TaylorSea4
Hey, Indy, you don't need to stuff a V8 in whatever it is you drive, man; just rock the NAWS, baby!! Your silly little passive-aggressive trip only proves my point even more. Why am I not on Bush's team? Cuz I told him I wouldn't suffer silly little liberal fools and their little sideways smart-*** remarks. You wanna stand up and potty like a big boy, ya better bring it a LOT stronger than that, bub.
TaylorSea4, I haven't laughed out loud at a post in a while, thanks I think it's safe to say we're in agreement on pcars AND politics. However, I was trying to hold myself back and be the "bigger man" with Indy, but you took the words right out of my head.

That being said, I think despite our obvious differences of opinion, we can all agree that these cars mean something special to all of us (even if some of us fell that way for the wrong reasons )

I'm writing a letter to Porsche AG, and I'm hoping I can get a lot of Rennlisters to sign it (by sending me an email with your name and approval) - hopefully with our voices we can force Porsche to start moving back in the right direction with their products, in a deeper way than just going back to round headlights

And Indy, I hope you'll add your name to that list - after all, when Porsche concentrates on producing the quality we're accustomed to, we ALL benefit.

Greg
Old 01-29-2005, 03:29 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Wow, remember when this forum was about talking about Porsches? We seem to be a little off track now... Didn't we say that this forum was better than the other marques' because we didn't have this kind of nonsense? Let's knock it off, eh?
Brian
Old 01-29-2005, 03:37 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

Indycam-

The problem is you are driving a real Porsche, and the letter you would write is based on that. You have a car that was built by a company that really doesn't exist anymore, so thanking them for a car they built in 1989 is not meaningful.

We are talking about cars they are building today by the company as it is today.

I don't think we feel we are smart enough to run the company, but we appreciate what Porsche was in the past and what the company is now and realize something has been taken away.

We also are sad enough to see the change that we just can't not comment on it.

I think you need some experience with the new, non GT engined stuff (normal 996,997 and Boxster) to see what we are talking about.
Old 01-29-2005, 04:21 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Cupcar
Indycam-

The problem is you are driving a real Porsche, and the letter you would write is based on that. You have a car that was built by a company that really doesn't exist anymore, so thanking them for a car they built in 1989 is not meaningful.

We are talking about cars they are building today by the company as it is today.

I don't think we feel we are smart enough to run the company, but we appreciate what Porsche was in the past and what the company is now and realize something has been taken away.

We also are sad enough to see the change that we just can't not comment on it.

I think you need some experience with the new, non GT engined stuff (normal 996,997 and Boxster) to see what we are talking about.

Exactly.

And Indycam, I think you're just trying to keep an argument going, which is not what this board is for - we're raising concerns over the direction Porsche is going, obviously you have a problem with that. I'm done arguing.

Greg
Old 01-30-2005, 03:09 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Indycam,

I am at a loss, what are you trying to prove with those three quotes?
Old 01-30-2005, 12:12 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Indy,
What happened? You have deleted all your posts and now you post again as a new user.
I think you are taking all of this far too seriously.
Remember this is just a car and a car company we are discussing here.
The Porsche badge is a mark of an auto company, not a religious icon.
Porsche Enthusiasts reserve the right to criticise Porsche when they feel the need which can be anytime anywhere. Porsche does not run our lives or controlour thoughts.
You are not being disloyal criticising Porsche because it is only a business.
Porsche does not care what you or I think.
Porsche does not care too much about its' previous series (few car companies do) or the people who own them. Second hand purchases of Porsche cars do not show on their books unless purchased from a factory owned dealership.
Porsche goes on regardless because it has one job to do; Make money for the shareholders!
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 01-30-2005, 03:56 PM
kris
Skippy
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

Amen
Old 03-22-2005, 04:33 PM
agentpennypacker
Pro

Porsche is lossing more and more enthusiasts....when will they learn.

A good driver will destroy a 996/997 on the track. I'd say eat some of the money Porsche and make it a true dry sump again....

A little more bhp would be nice for that kind of money also...
Old 03-24-2005, 12:46 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

As Adrian said, they don't care about enthusiasts because they're not making money off them. They will go in whatever direction will sell more new cars. I don't like it but that's economics 101. Think of it this way; your air-cooled 911 is getting more special every day!

c
Old 08-12-2008, 02:51 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...p_test_feature

Click on the video , see a wild test .
Old 08-12-2008, 04:39 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

The Car and Driver statement:"Porsche 911 engines have always had dry-sump lubrication systems, meaning engine oil wasn’t stored in a bowl hanging below the engine but rather was sucked out of the crankcase with a scavenge pump and stored in a separate tank. From there, a pressure pump circulated the oil through the engine" is not true for the the normal "integrated dry-sump" 996 engine, only those of the Turbo, GT2 and GT3 which have the dry-sump Metzger engine based on the air-cooled crankcase.

I wonder if the new A91 type engine is a true dry sump or not.

The test rig shown in the video is impressive, but can't simulate much more than 1 G of cornering force, by tossing the engine they can use the inertia of the oil to simulate a touch more than 1 G I figure.

Aero loading and slicks will generate more than 1 G of cornering force in a racing Porsche- I say test it at the track and I will be convinced.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:13 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

That looks like a good, pragmatic way for a 98-percentile effective test (for 1% of the cost of track days' excursion.) A quick and dirty way to proof test concepts.

The engineering side of me marvels at the test's cleverness.
The guy side of me could watch and listen to that, endlessly fascinated!
Very cool.
Thanks for posting.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:34 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

So lets say in real life the car goes two Gs , the oil runs over to one side .
On the test rig they hold the motor over on its side and , the oil runs over to one side .
The fact that they oil does not run away but is held in , negates the problem you imagine this test rig has .

And then I'll gladly bet you any amount , that this test is rerun on the real track .
Old 08-12-2008, 08:29 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Indycam
So lets say in real life the car goes two Gs , the oil runs over to one side .
On the test rig they hold the motor over on its side and , the oil runs over to one side .
The fact that they oil does not run away but is held in , negates the problem you imagine this test rig has .

And then I'll gladly bet you any amount , that this test is rerun on the real track .
I agree with you, if the engine is tilted for a longer time on its side more G is simulated, but you couldn't simulate a lap time in real time like they are doing on the test rig.

You mean "pumped away", not "held in" don't you?

I still wonder if the engine shown on the test stand is a dry sump or not, it would be cool if it were. The pump looks like an Aviad pump used by V8 hot rodders.

I am hopeful a racing track will be kinder to the new engine than to its predecessor integrated dry sump engines
Old 08-12-2008, 10:20 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Held in = Held in .

Quick Reply: Porsche wet sump, Corvette dry sump