Sponsored by:

Dash top removal and antenna booster location 101

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 02:49 AM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dash top removal and antenna booster location 101

For the benefit of anyone trouble-shooting a radio reception problem, this may help. I just got finished getting deep into the dash to figure out why my reception was so bad. Turns out some dumb-_ss cut the window wire to the booster and cut the antenna lead too! I'm second owner. Had to repair it.

Anyway, Here's how to do it (sorry I dont have photos, but I'm pretty good at descriptions)

1. Atop the dash, adjacent to the windshield you will see a black diffuser that sends ventilation to the inside windshild(defroster). There are five (5) phillip screws. Remove them. Now, remove this diffuser.

2. Now you will see two more phillip screws that were previously covered by the diffuser you just removed, unscrew both of them. These two screws attach two strips of metal that are contiguous with the dashboard.

3. Pull out the analog clock (just pulls out, it's set in the hole purely by pressure, carfully wedge a standard screw driver behind the rubber gasket and pry out enough edge to get your finger nails behind the gasket and pull it out-not a big deal, really!). Look into the clock hole, at 3:00 o clock position on the inside there is a nut holding the face of the dash secure. It's located between the clock hole and the center vents. Remove this nut.

4. On both ends of the dash you will see a recessed flat plastic cover that conceals itself when the door is in the closed position. Take a flat screw driver and gently pry out this cover. It has plastic screws that don't screw, they are pressure inserted and so just pry out. there are two of these pressure screws on each cover-one on top and one on bottom. Once you have removed this cover, look in the center-inside the hole there is another screw to remove. Do this on both sides of dash. Now your done....just pull the dash out.

Now, on the passenger side on top of the metal dash base you can see a black box that's about 3inchX3inchX1inch high. This is the antenna booster/amplifier. Notice it has three attachments. One black leade/wire about 4mm that gets lost under the rubber seal of the adjacent windshield, one antenna lead, and one small 2mm wire that are both in a rubber sleeve. The smaller 2mm wire is the power to the antenna-it should be connected to a 12V supply. The other antenna lead abviously to the back of the unit.

If you are adding XM, and your XM antenna is the flat box-type (the size of two stacked hamburger patties), notice you can place it right ontop of the metal vent, so it's sandwiched between the metal vent and the dash you removed. This is where I found mine. Great place as it's protected and has a clear view of the sky and is centrally located.

Good luck

Jaime
Old 01-20-2005, 10:43 AM
KB964Cabrio
Rennlist Member

Location: Grantham, UK. My Whippets have wee'd up this many Telephone
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds interesting... I'll have a look at mine as the radio reception is very poor, so someone has probably done the same to my car!

Thanks for the tip!
Old 01-20-2005, 10:51 AM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My reception is also poor but I've already checked the booster connections and they're fine. I was thinking of adding a new booster. Does anyone have suggestiond on a good brand or type?

Duncan
Old 01-20-2005, 05:32 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the thorough write-up, Jaime!
Brian
Old 01-20-2005, 08:41 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

Hi Duncan. Are you sure your booster is OK? Reason I ask is if it's working properly you should get good reception without a question unless you live in the desert (then you should probably get XM). Then again, what are you calling bad reception? Somebody whom can only tune in 1 station at best definately has an antenna system problem. If you can get various stations and is adequate, but not cherry-prestine signal, you probable are at the limits of your system. The best antenna is one which can "see" the tower supplying the signal. The higher the mast, the better. Since our cars have the antenna inside the windshield, and the height of the antenna is only as good as the height of the windshield (especially if you have lowered the car) you are not going to have cherry awesome reception. But like everything else in this world, these are the trade-offs.

There are some powered, concealable antenna's out there. Go to www.installer.com , look for "antenna adapter" tab, then look for "antennas" tab. Scroll down and you will see two powered ones. I don't know how good they are, but if you are willing to check it out, do so and tell the rest of us here on this forum.

Jaime
Old 01-21-2005, 12:21 AM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My WRX has a rear window antenna, and I'd say the reception is just as mediocre as in the 964. I think the weakest link is the antenna, and boosters for already marginal signals don't help much, IMO. I've just resigned myself to listening to engine sounds or recorded music. The radio does traffic reports, news, and weather only. I like the idea of satellite, but I don't think it's available in Canada yet.

Quick Reply: Dash top removal and antenna booster location 101