Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why does she squeal like a pig????

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 11:28 AM
ckkrause
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Why does she squeal like a pig????

I can't seem to get my alternator belt to go more than 6 months without it starting to squeal bigtime, particularly on cold mornings! I don't have the tension tool, but make it tight as I dare. I use the 4 spacers and currently have 2 spacers in between the pully halves. Does the belt have to be tighter than you would think? Also, I noticed the pulley surfaces were shiney, like mirrors.... do you think it would help to replace the pulley halves? Can you help me out as I'm tired of getting "noticed" in this way....

-CKKrause
Old 01-19-2005, 11:44 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

The pulleys are so shiny because the belt is slipping and polishing them.
Unless you can confirm the actual belt tension is correct there are no other solutions because they will only cover up the real problem.
A lot depends on what electrical systems you have activated. It is not uncommon in winter if you have everything burning and turning for the belt to slip. The alternator is under max load and sometimes overload and the highre the load the more it does not want toco-operate withthe belt and the engine.
One trick for this is to use a light graphite spray on the belt. It does not stop the slipping but it stops the noise. All the TCS (Touring club Switzerland) roadside mechanics carry this in their kit.
However one has to swing back to the tension and of course to check you have the correct type and size of belt installed.
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:57 PM
ckkrause
Rennlist Member

I am using the correct size Porsche factory belt. I even rechecked the size this morning... Would replacing the pulley halves add friction and reduce slipping...in addition to getting the right tension on the belt?

Thanks for your comments!
Old 01-19-2005, 04:52 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by ckkrause
I am using the correct size Porsche factory belt. I even rechecked the size this morning... Would replacing the pulley halves add friction and reduce slipping...in addition to getting the right tension on the belt?

Thanks for your comments!
Not if there is nothing wrong with them and I doubt there is anything wrong with them. It is much cheaper to get the tension correct which you will still have to do even if you change the pulley halves.
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:22 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are the belt sizes different between model years? i.e. I see 1989 C4 listed differently on pelican.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:36 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

A TIP is different.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:34 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 606 Likes on 462 Posts

For some reason NAPA auto parts belt is 780mm versus the OEM 776... and the NAPA belts make a high pitched whine like a I am driving a space ship! I just changed my belts on my cabrio - the colder mornings (not today... was 80 degrees!!!) started to make the belts sound like a Ford Pinto...

I am sure that input is very helpful!! Just wanted to share!
Old 01-20-2005, 03:20 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Howard,
The 89 C4 is the same as the 94 C4 when it comes to belts. You often see the 89 C4 listed differently because they (as in suppliers) assume it uses the same belt as the 89 Carrera 3.2.
In fact many of the parts of the 89 C4 are from the Carrera 3.2 and their part numbers were changed for the 1990 model year.
You will find the same for the 94 model year 993. Well you won't because it came to the USA in disguise.
Ciao,
Adrian.

PS: Belt size and shape is critically important. If the belt is even a couple of mm too long you will never be able to tension it up properly because tensioning is done by shimming. If the belt is too thick or too thin the thing will slip. The belt size also includes its width so this has to be correct as well.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:36 AM
KB964Cabrio
Rennlist Member

Location: Grantham, UK. My Whippets have wee'd up this many Telephone
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

Würth is a German Company that suppliers a huge range of Products including Workshop consumables and Chemicals.

One of their products is a V-Belt Spray, which is suitable for stopping the squealing noise you get from new belts. I used it when i had my new belts fitted last year. I must stress that the belts must be new and must be correctly tensioned, it is not a substitue for incorrectly adjusted belts...

It worked very well for me! Thought it might help...

[IMG]http://[/IMG]
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
v belt spray.pdf (76.4 KB, 178 views)

Last edited by KB964Cabrio; 01-20-2005 at 10:40 AM. Reason: ed
Old 01-20-2005, 11:02 AM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like the tension needs to be a little greater. Take out one more shim and see if that makes a difference. Just for conversation sake, I Replaced the belt once after first purchasing the car and had to take out all shims; it was a Porsche belt. Sence then I've replaced the belt every year and every time I've used between 1-3 shims so there is variation between belts. The idea is to have about one quater inch of movement in the belt when tight. Hope this helped.

Duncan
Old 01-20-2005, 12:10 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Adrian
Dear Howard,
The 89 C4 is the same as the 94 C4 when it comes to belts. You often see the 89 C4 listed differently because they (as in suppliers) assume it uses the same belt as the 89 Carrera 3.2.
In fact many of the parts of the 89 C4 are from the Carrera 3.2 and their part numbers were changed for the 1990 model year.
You will find the same for the 94 model year 993. Well you won't because it came to the USA in disguise.
Ciao,
Adrian.

PS: Belt size and shape is critically important. If the belt is even a couple of mm too long you will never be able to tension it up properly because tensioning is done by shimming. If the belt is too thick or too thin the thing will slip. The belt size also includes its width so this has to be correct as well.
Thanks Adrian, thought as much but kept seeing them listed seperately so better safe than sorry!

I presume switching the belts is easy and straightforward? Considering all the other DIY I've done on the car this last year, I am hoping this is a snap? Any special tools required? What does the tensioner tool do? What's it officialy called and does it have a part #? Is it worthwhile?

Any tuts out there?

Cheers,
Old 01-20-2005, 02:03 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

OK, makes sense. I wondered whether it was for measuring tension or whether it was a tool for turning the pulley or something...

Thanks Indy!
Old 01-21-2005, 01:33 AM
ckkrause
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys!! I guess there's no secret to it. I'll just take another shim out and that'll have to do it. I don't have the tensioner, so it will have to be by feel.... I've gotten pretty good at it and it takes about 1 and 1/2 hours...just whip off the AC belt and compressor support and outer pulley and throw it back together.

-CKKrause

Quick Reply: Why does she squeal like a pig????