Sponsored by:

Oil leak under intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 06:29 PM
greddy0
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Oil leak under intake manifold

Found oil residue under the intake manifold on top of the engine. Anybody know if there is oil lines running up there? Seem like it's been moist for sometime. Thanks all
Old 01-03-2005, 07:36 PM
speedster 94
Instructor

most likely your OIl Pressure sender , or the breather hose beside it .
Harald
Old 01-03-2005, 11:49 PM
ckkrause
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Harald is probably correct. The oil pressure has a seal that tends to fail and then leak and the breather has a gasket can leak or the radiator type clamp has loosened... These seem to be the typical issues in that area... The best way to get at that area is to pull the air cleaner housing at the intake and go at it from that side...

Good Luck!

-CKKrause

-
Old 01-04-2005, 03:07 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Ignore the arrows, the shiny yellow zinc coated thing with the two wires attached to it is your oil pressure sender;
Old 01-04-2005, 05:06 AM
dove
Banned

I need to replace the leaking seal on the oil pressure sender on my car,is this a reasonable DIY job..rating out of 10 please .
Old 01-04-2005, 05:50 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Guys, don't forget it can also come from the inlet manifold, especially if yours was overfilled.
I had drips coming from the venturi butterfly type valve on mine, untill I cleaned it up and drained a litre or two.

kevin
Old 01-04-2005, 10:49 AM
Eric Kessel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 39 Posts

If it is the oil pressure sender "console" o-ring, it's not a tough job. Very straight forward, but
you will have to remove the right side of the intake manifold (this will also show if the oil is coming from the intake, since if you remove it, and oil pours out, you will know it's not the pressure sender o-ring after all..... that's what I found anyway). Once the intake half is removed, if you've got AC, there is a bracket that mounts around the oil pressure sender that needs to be removed (Jason doesn't have that bracket in his picture....he's probably got a fancy RSA without AC , then you remove the whole block the pressure sender mounts to (there are two nuts, you can see one in the below the pressure sender in his picture), then the "block" pulls straight out, and you will be able to remove the o-ring.

If this isn't clear, let me know, and i'll try explaining again.......
Old 01-04-2005, 12:09 PM
dove
Banned

Thanks Eric, Details have been printed off,Its a job I intend to do when the weather gets better here if I have any probs i'll PM you.
Cheers
Paul
Old 01-04-2005, 12:57 PM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just remove the airfilter and some parts behind it and you can fix all 2 leaks... please look for my 100.000 miles service from November 03 detailed info there and photographs....
Old 01-04-2005, 01:10 PM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Arjans 100k is also available in PDF format from my website.........

kevin
Old 01-04-2005, 01:39 PM
Eric Kessel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 39 Posts

Arjan,
Your write up has been very inspirational to me, but I don't think you changed the o-ring that
is under the oil pressure sender. The "block" that the sender screws into also has an o-ring below it, that is known to cause leaks. If you remove that block, you can replace the o-ring, and you can put the block in a vise to make removing the pressure sender much simpler, no need for the special purpose wrench (ie chopped down). You can probably do this with the intake installed, but it wasn't much work, and I found a good bit of oil in my intake....... Once the intake is out of the way, you have much better access to the area.

Quick Reply: Oil leak under intake manifold