Sponsored by:

Mystery Switch

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 10:21 AM
anewbill
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mystery Switch

Can anyone tell me what this switch might be for? It does not seem to do anything. At first I thought it might be for the intensive windsheald cleaning, but my car is not equipt with that system. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Attached Images  
Old 12-22-2004, 10:29 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Yup... that looks like the switch to set the clock... keep it pressed and it will move the clock to the desire time setting...

What? No user manual? Sorry, could not help it.

Happy holidays!!!
Old 12-22-2004, 10:33 AM
anewbill
Instructor

Nope. Unfortunatly, the switch to set the clock is underneath the dash. I have also ruled out the sunroof switch and the mirror switch. Any other ideas?
Old 12-22-2004, 11:02 AM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

on my car its the intensive silicon screen wash button.

ps does anyone actualy use this feature? do you actualy buy the proper porsche stuff to put in it?

edited to add Ive just read your post properly and you say you dont have that feature. maybe they put teh switch in anyway and dont wire it up if you dont have it?
Old 12-22-2004, 11:22 AM
darth
Burning Brakes

I have the intensive wash and I wonder why Porsche installed a reservoir a fraction of the size of the normal windshield washer reservoir yet the intensive puts out massive amounts of fluid each time one uses it? I seem to remember a post where someone wired his garage door opener to it?

Bill
90C2
Old 12-22-2004, 12:02 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by anewbill
Nope. Unfortunatly, the switch to set the clock is underneath the dash. I have also ruled out the sunroof switch and the mirror switch. Any other ideas?
Wow... so different functions for the same switch??? In mine that switch controls the clock setting... the underdash switch is for the top and the other one is for selecting from left or right rear view mirror adjustment (with the adjustment button on the door panel)....
Old 12-22-2004, 01:09 PM
DavidI
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That's definitely the intensive washer switch. If you have no intensive wash (small reservoir on left side of luggage bay when looking from front of car - remember normal reservoir is hidden from view in other wheel arch) then someone has added a switch for some reason. The switch cut-out is always in the dash and then vinyl or leather cover over the hole, so it's very easy to add the switch and wire it up to do something else.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:12 PM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's where my "intensive washing" switch is too, but it has a little symbol on it to show its use, like the other switches. Yours appears to be blank. I wonder if somebody didn't like the asymmetrical look of the instrument panel and just put in a dummy switch to balance it visually. Is it a rocker or a momentary contact switch? I seem to remember somebody suggesting using that location for an oil cooler fan switch - any chance the PO did that?
Originally Posted by Pesty
ps does anyone actualy use this feature? do you actualy buy the proper porsche stuff to put in it?
I've been afraid to push that button. No idea what's in its tank. What if it doesn't work? Then I'd have to fix it. As it is, I don't know if it works, and I don't need it - ignorance is bliss.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:33 PM
Wonkdonk
Advanced

I think the intense washer's great! I've had my car about 15 months now and haven't run out yet - should I be saying this?
And mine has the icon on it too.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:40 PM
DavidI
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine is without icon. I left it broken for ages then fixed it when the main washer pump broke too... I use it with regular screenwash as a spare now
Old 12-22-2004, 02:29 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Instensive washer option??? I am going to have to go and to understand all this...

If this is for the headlights I have that function in one of the steering bar switches/handles... now I am really
Old 12-22-2004, 02:38 PM
anewbill
Instructor

The switch is a rocker type and the material does not seem to match any of the other switches. So, I'm betting that it was added by a PO. It does not seem to do anything, but it would be great if a PO already wired up an activation for the oil cooler fan.
Old 12-22-2004, 03:46 PM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Nope,

You are all WRONG, thats the rocker switch for rotating the speedo.....................................

kevin.
Old 12-22-2004, 04:16 PM
PC2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by warmfuzzies
Nope,

You are all WRONG, thats the rocker switch for rotating the speedo.....................................

kevin.

Old 12-22-2004, 04:25 PM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Cindy looked at her 91 Cab and she doesn't have the switch. Now she wants one! Go figure....

Quick Reply: Mystery Switch