Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Demon Salt

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004 | 05:53 PM
dove
Banned

Default The Demon Salt

Now that I use my car as an everyday driver I'm getting a bit paraniod about the salt thats being put down on the frozen roads and the damage it is doing to my car.Any tips from owners who use their cars all year round on how to protect from salt damage?
Paul
Old 12-06-2004 | 06:47 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Paul:

Buy a beater, and keep the 964 off the salty roads. Rust never sleeps, especially if you let it get started.

If you must drive on salty roads. a good cleaning afterward helps. You really can't get into the nooks and crannies where salt residue hides, and you have a hard time protecting the engine and wiring harness. Good news is the 964 is pretty well made, and will survive better than most. Just expect a few more problems, and a little more maintenance over time.
Old 12-07-2004 | 04:43 AM
dove
Banned

I agree springer,I think i'll buy a reliable wreck to use over the winter months.
Old 12-07-2004 | 05:07 AM
Christer
Race Car

an H reg Corolla should do the trick...
Old 12-07-2004 | 09:05 AM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Damage caused by lack of use vs. damage caused by salt residue..?
These cars need their exercise, like all thoroughbreds.

I got my car waxoyled when I bought it, and I wash the car/hose down wheelarch/brakes, followed by a run 'round the block, after a salty run - 'tho its dry at the moment :-)

My other cars make do with waste oil sprayed underneath by my local garage every year or two. Cheaper, and better in some ways than waxoyl, but messy at first..!
Old 12-07-2004 | 09:10 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Just drive the Porsche. Really, I've not known anyone to stress so much about a car. They're really well engineered - go and enjoy the bloody thing..

(Do I sound like Ray Calvo??)
Old 12-07-2004 | 11:24 AM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey, but it makes awfully pretty patterns..

Last edited by Johnny G Pipe; 02-21-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Old 12-07-2004 | 01:15 PM
dove
Banned

I have to agree with you Johnny about the damaged caused by lack of use the car is much more reliable than the garage queens I have owned in the past.John FM you still here mr Porscheless,I dare say your in your run down garage everynight trying to emulate the sweet sound of a flat six,Christers corolla should cover your needs until you get back on your feet.
Old 12-07-2004 | 05:00 PM
Moonraker
Intermediate

Five years surviving Iowa winters as a daily driver, all I do is take the car to the local heated pressure wash place every weekend and hose out the wheel arches and as much of the underside that I can reach.
Old 12-07-2004 | 05:36 PM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

This is interesting guys. New to my porcshe I want to try and look after it best I can.
I is my only car and will need to be used for comuting to work over the winter here in the uk. I didnt want to use the presure washer, never really liked them is it safe? wont 12 year old rubbler seals be likely for leakage?
Also do I need to be careful around teh spoiler area. you can see a lot of the electrics through there.
Old 12-07-2004 | 06:36 PM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I used to go to those commercial car washers where you stop your car and use a wand with soap and then water. The wand works great if you stick it under the car. Takes a little time, but it does help.
Old 12-07-2004 | 07:08 PM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pesty
This is interesting guys. New to my porcshe I want to try and look after it best I can.
I is my only car and will need to be used for comuting to work over the winter here in the uk. I didnt want to use the presure washer, never really liked them is it safe? wont 12 year old rubbler seals be likely for leakage?
Also do I need to be careful around teh spoiler area. you can see a lot of the electrics through there.
Do you mean door seals? Occasionally I get a little water in the front compartment at a jet wash..usually just stick with a regular hose on 'jet', and avoid poking it into the engine cover! Usually not a problem - copes with being outside in the pissing rain all night..
Old 12-07-2004 | 08:06 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Johnny G Pipe
Damage caused by lack of use vs. damage caused by salt residue..?
These cars need their exercise, like all thoroughbreds.

..!
You know...I've been hearing this argument since I can remember. My experiences made me not to buy it!!!
I'm forced due to my job to store my cars for 4-6 months at a time. I've been doing this for the past 15 years. I NEVER had a problem!!!
Granted when I store it I store it right. Put it if possible in a climate controlled space fill tanks, change oils etc. But every time I go back, they start right up and thank God nothing has ever happened! I own my 993 for 4 years and my previous 968 for 4 more. Before that I had a 944 for 6 years.... Like I said never a problem...
Old 12-07-2004 | 11:31 PM
drb007
Instructor

Life is too short. I am not going to drive a lesser (less fun) car for the winter when my 964 can spin all 4 wheels in the snow. Live a little...if it rusts out on me, I will find another one. Come on, guys...it's a Porsche, but it's still 'just' a car...we can't take it so seriously! No winter beater for me!
Old 12-08-2004 | 12:54 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

There is very little on the bottom of 964 that isn't completely sealed with rubbery undercoating (Wurth?). The only part that I can remember that isn't covered is the inside of the cross-over tubes in front of the transmission. So whats left to rust, the engine tin? Are european 964s sprayed in cosmoline like the USA models?

Quick Reply: The Demon Salt