Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyway to reduce the workout my Left leg gets on the clutch pedel ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 03:29 PM
apw964
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyway to reduce the workout my Left leg gets on the clutch pedel ?

All,

I've been really enjoying my car recently after I decided to keep it and not move on to a 993 or 996. BUT, having driven a couple of 996's I loved the way the clutch felt. Is there anyway I can improve the clutch feel on my car ? I've driven a couple of 964's and would say that mine is par for the course - i.e don't believe I have anything wrong, but wondering if I can improve on what I have - called it a comfort performance modification !!

Thanks in advance,

Andy
Old 11-20-2004, 05:35 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

What do you not like about the clutch feel? Smoothness of engagement? Pedal travel length? Pedal resistance? When was the last time your clutch slave cylinder was bled?
Old 11-20-2004, 05:41 PM
964_C2
Advanced

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
.........When was the last time your clutch slave cylinder was bled?
That alone can do wonders! Especially if its been a long time.
Old 11-20-2004, 06:10 PM
apw964
Instructor

Guys,

Smoothness is the real issue - the engagement point is fine. After driving the 996 and other newer cars the 964 pedal just feels plain old hard work.

I actually had the clutch slave bled during a recent big service. Certainly felt a little better, but not what I am looking for.

Andy other ideas ???
Old 11-20-2004, 09:01 PM
Eli K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your master and slave cylinders are in working order, try adjusting the little hex screw located under the pedal cluster, next to the gas pedal (I think).
Old 11-20-2004, 09:31 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

After recently replacing a clutch, pressure plate, t/o bearing, t/o fork and bearings, on a friends 964, we were both amazed, utterly amazed at the difference in pedal effort and smoothness. Before, the pedal literally felt like the brake pedal, now, more like a Honda Civic. Virtually no effort at all.

How old is your clutch? I would suggest, due to cost and ease of replacement, a new slave cylinder and lubrication of the pedal assy. I always try the easy/cheap stuff first
Old 11-20-2004, 10:20 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Reduce the tension on the clutch helper spring. Take out the floorboard. In the pedal area, there will be the hex screw. Turn it counter clockwise, this will reduce the clutch effort.
Old 11-21-2004, 02:02 AM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

I recently removed and disassembled my pedal assembly. Upon cleaning it and regreasing everything in it I discovered that the smoothness was fantastic. It had never felt that good before. It nolonger felt notchy and unpredictable. This maybe something that you could try. It most definately would not hurt. Duncan
Old 11-21-2004, 03:17 PM
apw964
Instructor

Guys,

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I have adjusted the return spring hex, and greased everything in the pedal assembly - I don't have the results I'm looking for yet.

Is there anyway to test if the master and slave cylinders are in good working order, or is it simply a case of take a chance and buy new ones ?

Thanks

Andy
Old 11-22-2004, 12:24 AM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

I wouldn't think that replacement of the master and slave cylinders would yeild no great benefit, unless they are leaking. But, changing the fluid will benefit the life of those parts. If you are still dis-saticefied with the performance of your clutch you may want to concider replacing the clutch itself. If you are still not in agreement with the feel of your clutch, then you just are SOL. I personally don't expect to get the same clutch feel out of my 78SC that I do from my 964. I understand that the technology has indeed changed and that aquiring the same performance of these two vehicles is just short of imposible. Duncan
Old 11-22-2004, 01:15 AM
Eli K
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dunasso
I wouldn't think that replacement of the master and slave cylinders would yeild no great benefit, unless they are leaking. But, changing the fluid will benefit the life of those parts. If you are still dis-saticefied with the performance of your clutch you may want to concider replacing the clutch itself. If you are still not in agreement with the feel of your clutch, then you just are SOL. I personally don't expect to get the same clutch feel out of my 78SC that I do from my 964. I understand that the technology has indeed changed and that aquiring the same performance of these two vehicles is just short of imposible. Duncan
I actually prefer the '78 clutch over the '91.
I am with Duncan, replacing the cylinders won't help much unless your pedal is falling to the floor and doesn't come up. If anything try bleeding the slave...
Old 11-22-2004, 01:45 AM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

It might not sound like much, but 15 years of built up sludge in the slave cylinder can really put a damper on performance. Bleeding the slave really could be a big step in the right direction, and it's inexpensive.
Brian
Old 11-22-2004, 01:49 PM
Dave R.
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My clutch was heavy before I had it replaced (Freudenberg DMF failed), new clutch is much smoother. There was visible wear on the guide tube - the throwout bearing was binding on it as the clutch went in and out. I think that caused most of the heavy feel.

So if lubing the pedal assembly and bleeding the slave cylinder don't do much, consider replacing your clutch.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:38 PM
apw964
Instructor

Dave,

Thanks for the suggestion. I think it may be the clutch - I had the system bled 5k miles ago. I've tried the pedal assembly, so that leaves the clutch - the clutch and flywheel are only 40k miles old, so I am guessing it's time to start getting used to the feel :-)

Andy
Old 11-22-2004, 02:39 PM
Dunasso
Burning Brakes

Siberien,
I actually prefer the 78 as well. I attribute the preference to the fact that I'm old school, and grew up with VW's. That cable feel is just so familiar, but the hydraulics are alot more comfartable nowadays. Duncan

Quick Reply: Anyway to reduce the workout my Left leg gets on the clutch pedel ?