Sponsored by:

Basic necessary mods to 964?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 12:24 AM
k00k
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Basic necessary mods to 964?

I'm in the market for a 964 at the end of the year. No doubt it will be a C2 or C4. I cant afford a Turbo. I've got a friend who works at a Porsche shop here in Perth, and he is going to search for a good one Australia wide for me. I'm just wondering what you guys think are the basic mods one should do to the 964? Assuming I find a stock one, I'm wanting to lower it, and put a decent set of springs and coils on it. I've seen the cat bypass mod, and airbox as probably ones I should do also? Its basically going to be driven a few times a week, a lot on weekends whenever I can find an excuse to drive it, and the occasional track use.

I'm going to get my friend to find me one, then let him do all the mods before I take it home. Any info on what my options are would be appreciated.

cheers
Mal
Old 11-01-2004, 08:59 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 17 Posts

I recommend sorting out the car in stock form, and seeing how you like it. The 964 runs really strong and handles well in stock trim. Modifications can cause problems with driveability, reliability, and fuel economy. If you have to modify, try weight reduction. That improves handling, performance, and fuel economy, with no sacrifice in driveability or reliability.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:22 AM
k00k
Advanced

Wink

Thanks for the advice springer. I just came to the conclusion of modding it after reading what a lot of people had done to their own 964's on here. I do want to lower it, purely for looks and to tighten it up. Seems to be a fairly common mod. Is your C2 still stock, or have you tweaked a few things?

cheers
k00k
Old 11-01-2004, 09:51 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tend to agree with Springer - I would want to use the car as it is before making any changes. Some of the mods you've mentioned are personal taste - for example, I'm not a big fan of the drilled airbox and am happy mine is stock.

There is also an advantage to making these mods after you have the car - you can feel the difference. Replacing the suspension should make a big difference - if the car is still on it's original shocks - but it's pretty good to start with the old stuff, then get the new stuff fitted and you can really feel the improvement.

I've made many changes to mine - mostly cosmetic (wheels, steering wheel, clear lenses etc) but also some functional ones (RUF suspension, chip for the DME). I'm glad I made these mods after getting the car - because I can tell whether they actually make any difference. The RUF suspension definitely did - the chip almost certainly didn't.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:06 AM
k00k
Advanced

Thumbs up

Thanks DaveK. I do see both your reasoning. It would be nice to get used to it stock, then get any mods done, and see the improvement. I had a Datsun 240Z many moons ago which I had all the suspension redone after I had owned it for a few months, and I could see and feel a huge difference.

I also saw it as an easy way of getting all the mods past the Ministry of Finance, (wife). Get friend to source car. Get friend to make mods. Pick up car. MoF none the wiser...

cheers
Mal
Old 11-01-2004, 10:12 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Well, that is one benefit I hadn't thought of. But for some of the changes, it is nice to get them done after owning the car - it's pretty exciting getting it back knowing the suspension has been done and wondering how it will feel.

It's a bit depressing when you have to pay for those mods - but you'll get that whichever order you do things in!
Old 11-01-2004, 10:32 AM
Flagg
Racer

Drive it before you modify it. The C2 or C4 is great - right out of the box.

Decide if you want more preformance after driving it for a while - and if you do - you will at least be able to appreciate the differences!

Flagg - 93 RSA
Old 11-01-2004, 10:38 AM
tonytaylor
Burning Brakes

If you are going to modify your car it helps if you have a good reason for the mod. The standard car is a pretty good compromise and changes tend to improve one facet of the cars ability at the expense of another. If you are happy with the trade off then mod, otherwise it's perhaps best to leave it as it is.
I cant think of any of my mods that didn't have some sort of downside but the nature of my car use means I prefer the car dispite the trade-offs.
Old 11-01-2004, 05:08 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by k00k
Is your C2 still stock, or have you tweaked a few things?
Mine is absolutely bolt stock. I replaced the OEM shocks with Bilsteins, but kept the stock springs, and set to the stock ride height. Lowering in fine for a track car, but you will scrape up the chin and belly more if you lower it. Mine has a few scratches and scrapes, and I imagine they would be much worse if the car was a inch lower. Handling? It is hard to fault. On the track with some competition you may notice the lowering, but for street use, I have a hard time imagining you would not be happier with the extra ground clearance.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:32 PM
SNOWBIRD
Pro

As a newbie myself I would suggest holding off also. You didn't say you've had a 911 before, so I'll assume you haven't. To this newbie (me), the car is so incredible the way it is, I can't imagine messing with it. Maybe if you track it you might want to change something, but I think you oughtta check it out in stock form first. It's pretty impressive.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:18 PM
k00k
Advanced

Thumbs up

Well, I guess I can take a hint then from what everyone has said. Wait till you mod it! I'm still pretty keen on having it lowered a little, but I guess I'll have to see what wheel/tyre combo I end up with. Damn, there are so many great looking 964's on here. I want a combo of them all. I really like the lowered look. Thats definitely going to be a mod at some stage. And a dual exhaust system. And a Momo wheel. And.... Like you all say, wait till I see what I purchase first, then repaint the canvas...

911 ownership has been a dream of mine for years. Now that everything else seems to be ticking along nicely, time to realise the dream. Cant wait!

cheers
Mal
Old 11-01-2004, 09:54 PM
eddychan
Racer

Mal,

I would suggest a " venting kit" for twin distributor is a MUST. also make sure that the belt is changed may be a good idea. Please check with other web if you don't replace them and it fails.

Depending on the age of the car you are getting, I would prefer later 17'' cup wheel and tear drop mirrors. I also find that the 964 stock air intake is designed for cold climate which is less efficient in Far-East, so I put on a high flow K&N filter.

Cheers and looking forward to hear more from you and I am sure you will enjoy your 964 like we do.

Eddie
Old 11-02-2004, 12:14 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Congrats, Mal, and welcome!

I'll put in a dissenting vote and suggest you have some work done before bringing it home (in the interest of domestic tranquility ). There are a couple of big ticket jobs you may want to consider and suspension is at the top of the list, provided it's still riding on stock dampers and springs. New springs and Bilsteins run at least $1K USD and labor to remove, replace, align and corner balance is another 8-10 hours (multiply by your shop's hourly rate to determine the total package price).

The other job is a 15K-mile service. This may be a non-issue if the seller has recently addressed this item. If not, you may want to schedule the service and subtract the cost from your offer price. It's about 8-10 hours of labor, which includes a valve adjustment, along with various checks, new plugs and maintenance items. Parts run close to $400 USD.

Food for thought.
Old 11-02-2004, 12:55 AM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Eddy makes a very good point. The vent distributor kit is a must if it's not already been installed. Oh, and Adrian's book of course.
Brian
Old 11-02-2004, 12:58 AM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Hi: If I remember correctly, the problems associated with early model 964s (90 and part of 91) were oil leakage or seapage; flywheel problems; and the distributor air vent kit. I've owned a 90 C2 Cab and a 94 Speedster; and currently own a 91 C2 Cab.

I agree with everything everyone has said about proceedures before any performance modifications. Cosmetic mods are obviously a different story and are done to personal taste. I have a tan interior with black plastic pieces and decided to put a little silver in for contrast.

Lastly, I would purchase Adrian Streather's book on the 964 series. It will be an important addition to your library. www.adrianstreather.com

Good luck on your purchase!

Quick Reply: Basic necessary mods to 964?