Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Basic necessary mods to 964?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 06:02 PM
C4TT
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Before you do anything, there may be plenty of little gremlins which will gladly soak up that extra "modification cash"...
As all the guys stated. Learn the vehicle dynamics, and read as much abou the car as you can.

Go from there!

Enjoy

G
Old 11-02-2004, 11:36 PM
k00k
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I'm quite prepared to wait to get a good one, with no gremlins at all. My friend has a lot of experience in sourcing good ones here in Oz. Thats all he does. Buys and sells used Porsches, and prepares them for racing as well. He rings me now and then to tell me he has an excellent one in stock, but I cant purchase till the new year. Its nice to go and have a look though. He had an '87 Carrera 3.2 in the other week with 80km's only on the clock! Absolutely factory fresh mint. Pretty rare to find one like that I think? Sold it that week.

Anyway, I guess I'll see what he can turn up. I have a few basic requirements. Full service history. Australian delivery, not an import. Must be a black interior. Exterior colour not that important. And in excellent / mint condition. And having the venting / leakage problems sorted as well if possible. If not, I'll get those sorted immediately. I'm figuring on spending about Aus$55k on the car, and having another Aus$10K to make any necessary mods / improvements. Theres so many sweet 964's on here. I hope you all dont mind me borrowing a few of your ideas!

cheers
k00k
Old 11-03-2004, 12:15 AM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like you're doing the required research. Despite being somewhat the red headed stepchild of 911s, the 964 is strong and dependable. Watch the cylinder head leaks if it's an early car, make sure the dizzy vent kit is installed, and watch out for a bad dual-mass flywheel. I'd say that most everybody's advice is good: have your wrench tune it up, then drive it a while and get a feel for it. Do more and more research, there are plenty of great websites out there, and Adrian's book has pages and pages on upgrades. Here are a few of my favorite 964 sites (These are just a few, if your site isn't on this list, please don't feel slighted. I probably just don't know about it. ):
http://www.porsche964.nl/
http://www.porsche964.co.uk/
http://www.p-car.com/
http://www.proaxis.com/~tubbs/tech.htm

After you get a feel for your car, as others have said, I'd say the first thing you'll start thinking about will probably be the suspension. Any 911 is first and foremost a great handling car, and the suspension makes all the difference. And after 15 or so years, the struts and shocks have probably seen better days. Just a suggestion, and have fun finding your new car!

Brian
Old 11-06-2004, 11:27 AM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by k00k
I'm quite prepared to wait to get a good one, with no gremlins at all. My friend has a lot of experience in sourcing good ones here in Oz. Thats all he does. Buys and sells used Porsches, and prepares them for racing as well. He rings me now and then to tell me he has an excellent one in stock, but I cant purchase till the new year. Its nice to go and have a look though. He had an '87 Carrera 3.2 in the other week with 80km's only on the clock! Absolutely factory fresh mint. Pretty rare to find one like that I think? Sold it that week.

k00k
You going through the K-Tec guys I presume? Good luck in your search....the 964 is a wonderful place to start your love affair with Porsche's.... this was my ex 964..... http://members.rennlist.com/complete964 I still see the car from time to time when I meet up with the current owner for a beer.... and love seeing it everytime.... sold it to a fellow "ex-Aussie" living in Singapore- car still has the cup by-pass and sounds fantastic...
Old 11-07-2004, 06:51 AM
k00k
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, I'm going through K-Tec Harold. Well, thats unless I turn something up myself. But I'll get them to look it over anyway. I went in there today and had a look through the window. He has a few nice 964's. One thats already been lowered, full race suspension, Recaros and a fresh engine. Tempting, but I have to wait till the new year. Damn!

Thanks for the links guys. More to add to my Porsche folder in my favourites. The list grows. More reading, learning and ogling to be done there...

cheers
k00k

Quick Reply: Basic necessary mods to 964?