Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Original springs and shocks

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004 | 05:50 AM
leosayer
Racer

Default Original springs and shocks

How can I tell if my suspension is past its best? I don't have a problem with the ride quality or handling of my C2 Targa but wonder how much better it would be if I got them replaced.

I'm not after anything more sporty, as I'm not sure how the targa chassis would cope with anything much stiffer.

Leo
Old 08-27-2004 | 06:08 AM
Christer
Race Car

If you have the original suspension then I think it is fair to say that it is waaaay past its best, but then as you say if you are happy with it why change it?

I guess someone one who has replaced original with new original parts would be the person to confirm, although I don't know anyone who has done that....
Old 08-27-2004 | 12:10 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Christer
If you have the original suspension then I think it is fair to say that it is waaaay past its best, but then as you say if you are happy with it why change it?
My suspension was SHOT!!! When you pushed down on the corner of the car it didnt push back at all!

When I replaced the shocks it made a HUGE difference....when I replaced the springs AND the struts 3 weeks later the car turned into a different animal ALLTOGETHER!!!!!!

If you dont know anything different (as in my situation) then you may think your happy with it. I dont understand why this means you shouldnt look to make improvements when something far better is out there?! (BTW, Christer, your a fine one to talk given all your recent improvements and upgrades!LOL!)

Originally Posted by Christer
I guess someone one who has replaced original with new original parts would be the person to confirm, although I don't know anyone who has done that...
I should add that I switched to an aftermarket and much stiffer setup (Bilstein/H&R) rather than an OE replacement. I dont see why your Targa would be precluded from using a similiar setup Gerard, but either way I expect you will find dramatic differences in handling.
Old 08-27-2004 | 03:09 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Don't think you necessarily need to replace the springs, if you're not looking to lower or want something more sporty. But, you really need to replace the shocks. Pretty much guaranteed, you'll be impressed with the results, and will be kicking yourself for not doing it sooner.

I replaced the shocks on my car with OEM shocks at 115k miles, didn't touch the springs. The results were nothing short of stunning, like a new car.
Old 08-27-2004 | 03:25 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

As stated above, initially just the shock change made for a BIG difference on my car - the springs made a big difference again! (I had to do mine three times as the springs were wrong, a long and expensive story but at least I got to try different setups and see how it felt!)
Old 08-27-2004 | 07:10 PM
darth
Burning Brakes

Howard

I only remember your the last attempt - pics were funny. What were the other 2 times - what spring/shock combination did you reject and why?

Leo

If you bounce on the bumper of any 4 corners of the car you should only get one bounce when the car returns to its' original position. If it bounces more than once chances are the shock is worn.

Hope this helps
Bill
90C2
Old 08-27-2004 | 07:43 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Interestingly, my car wouldn't bounce at all (the normal test for worn shocks, as Bill suggests). Yet, the shocks were toast.

Howard....hope it didn't sound like I was disagreeing with you . I read where you wrote that just replacing the shocks is a huge improvement, we're in agreement here. I can't speak for the difference after replacing springs. I suspect the factory springs are still okay (I'm not sure if much difference would be felt if new OEM springs were installed?), but you'll surely feel a big difference if you go with something more aggressive and lower the car.

Old 08-27-2004 | 09:00 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Randall - no I didn't think you were disagreeing - Just underlining how big the improvement is when just shocks are replaced!!!I just re-read both posts and sorry if it came off sounding defensive - not what I meant! at all!

Bill - I firstly changed springs only but they wouldnt go on my old struts then I changed shocks & springs (tried to use 993TT springs) and the springs were no good so I had remove and put car back together using stock springs until my H&R's arrived!! Each time I paid to align the car..ouch!

Quick Reply: Original springs and shocks