Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much tire rubbing is too much? Pics.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 04:28 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tom W
Erick: Your set-up is similar to mine and I occasionally get rubbing about the same as you show. I run Cup II wheels with 205/255 MPSC or RA-1s at -3.2/-3.0 camber. I have a 5 mm spacer in the rear with longer studs. I find that not all events give the rubbing shown and wonder if Bill doesn't have the best expanation (rubber chunks that accumulate and not the sidewall). I have never seen any indication of any tire/sidewall damage when I've pulled my tires to check if the rubbing was causing a problem. I even see a little up front once in a while too.
Interesting. I've also inspected my tires, and been surprised to see that the inside edges appear almost completely unscathed. It makes me wonder about the rubber build-up too.

FYI, I'm running 225 MPSC's up front... do you have fitment issues with that size?
Old 07-18-2005, 06:03 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Erick: I've not tried the 225/45 on this car, for the last two sets of MPSC it's been the stock 205/255 sizes. I bought the car with 235/275 A032R's and did not like them (more rub and less stick and way too noisey). I've worried some about a 225 on a 7" rim, but when I autocrossed the 225/45 Kumho was fine. I may try them as the next set I buy in a month or two. I may also get some Hoosier's.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:44 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom W
Erick: Your set-up is similar to mine and I occasionally get rubbing about the same as you show. I run Cup II wheels with 205/255 MPSC or RA-1s at -3.2/-3.0 camber. I have a 5 mm spacer in the rear with longer studs. I find that not all events give the rubbing shown and wonder if Bill doesn't have the best expanation (rubber chunks that accumulate and not the sidewall). I have never seen any indication of any tire/sidewall damage when I've pulled my tires to check if the rubbing was causing a problem. I even see a little up front once in a while too.
My right tire is probably close to the cords after being brand new and just two laps....and our track only has three left hand turns. I had a mountain of rubber built up on the control arm. When I came in the pits after I saw the smoke (I thought it was the Mustang behind me first) the pit marshall said they were getting ready to black flag me. A Bob Woodman employee at the track said I am fine with the rubber left, but I am getting another opion from Paul at Radial. I am getting ready to buy the 52 mm studs.

Erick: Will do.

Jim
Old 07-18-2005, 09:52 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Not sure how well this will work. Here is a photo before I went into the pits. All of that smoke is mpsc.

55 offsets, Cup II wheels, 17 x 9. 255 tires...soon to have a 3 mm spacer join the 6 mm.
Attached Images  
Old 07-18-2005, 10:36 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jim, I'm amazed at the problem you had without a spacer. I'm pretty sure I've run mine without spacers too and had on very minor issues. You sure your wheel bearings are good?
Old 07-18-2005, 10:44 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Hi Tom,

Wheel bearings and CVs are brand new...replaced in May. I was still getting some rub w/ 6mm so I am adding 3 mm and stopping there. I got a little rubbing from my 255 RA-1s and 0-32s, but nothing close to this. I knew the Cups were wider, but had no idea this would happen.

Jim
Old 07-18-2005, 11:34 PM
David K.
Pro

FYI, on my RSA I run 245/35/18 & 285/30/18 Hoosiers with this setup:

8 x 18 50 mm offset in the front and 10 X 18 65 mm offset in the rear with a 21mm spacer which gives you an offset of 44 mm (65-21=44). You must have rolled fenders or re-contoured fenders in the rear. In the front you will need to grind the joint where the fender and bumper bolt together in front of the tire. Just grind it back as close to the bolt as possible. You should also run longer studs in the rear and do not use the bolt-on style spacers. Also I fabricated a sheet metal plate to cover the oil line in the right rear wheel well. As you will get some rubbing.

David
http://www.rsamerica.net/gallery/davidk_of_nj.htm
Old 07-18-2005, 11:57 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

OT: Link to the thread about fixing the rusty rotors.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...highlight=rust

c
Old 07-20-2005, 05:46 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Jim, I'm always glad that I carry spare sets of spacers to the track with me! ...and even happier that they could be used to assist your rubbing issues.

I think it's time for stiffer suspension Jim...you drive like a NUT.

I had excessive rubbing until I hardened up the shocks/springs...now it's at a minimum, enough to where I don't worry about it, I just wear out the tires and move on to the next set.

Seriously, maybe a slight camber adjustment would cure some of this, but it's looking like you need to go to extended studs...if you put in the 52mm we discussed, this will add 7mm to your factory length and you can safely run 9mm of spacing if not a bit more...

I recall you said you've ordered a set of 10, so once you get 'em installed, I think your issues shall disappear!

...and then it's "GAME ON" at VIR eh?? Do I need to bring the Toyota because you'll be so damned fast?
Old 07-21-2005, 09:34 AM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Hey!

I think I am going to stiffen up rear sway and that w/ the 3mm, should be fine. I still have some understeer, so that should work. Should get the studs in tomorrow. Pelican has great cust. service. The PSS9s are now 1/1 the stiffest it will go. I wish I would have bought RSRs or Motons, but hindsight and all that. No $ for that until at least next spring or the one after that.

VIR!!!!!!!! Bring the 964 w/ Hoosiers and I will try to stay in your mirrors.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-21-2005, 12:17 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, it's no fun trying to run you down on street tires/street pads!

..or WAS it?

Chances are I'm bringing the Toyota, unless I get an offer on it this week...my buddy is bringing his Type "R" Integra, so I have no one available to drive the 911 up. Boo hoo.

It's fun having BOTH "toys" at the track!

Hope your studs workout, email me if you want the procedure I wrote up a few years back when I changed mine, probably can find a few pics as well.

Quick Reply: How much tire rubbing is too much? Pics.