Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roll pin for distributor shaft gear?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 07:09 PM
Dave R.
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Roll pin for distributor shaft gear?

Anyone know the length and diameter of the roll pin that holds the drive gear on the distributor shaft?

I.e., the one that will need to get drilled out when replacing the belt that drives the second distributor...

Thanks
Old 08-25-2004, 09:19 PM
RonnieM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

part # 930 602 922 00 You can get it from pelican parts for $1 if i remember right.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:37 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also: I bought 3 from my local Porsche dealer for, if I remember correctly, 93 cents each. I still have two of them. Where in Virginia are you?
Old 08-26-2004, 02:07 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

When you go to replace the belt don't waste your time removing the secondary distributor drive shaft. Instead of filing down the three indents holding the cap underneath the secondary distributor housing just knock out the guide pin on the upper distributor housing (you can reuse the pin). With the pin out you can slide the old belt off and the new belt into place (its obvious once you try to split the top & bottom). To help align the distributors there is a mark at 6 o'clock on the bottom of the primary lower distributor housing that you should line up with the indent on the primary shaft. When aligned, the primary shaft is pointing at Z1.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:52 AM
Dave R.
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the comments guys.

Ronnie, I did call Pelican, and the part showed up as a special order from Germany. They suggested trying a local hardware store, which is a good idea if I knew the size. Hadn't tried the local dealer(s) yet...

Richard, you have a PM

Jason, thanks for the tip.

-Dave
Old 08-26-2004, 12:18 PM
craig001
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

I seem to remember that i read somewhere that a drill bit has been used as the roll pin. I can't remember if it was a link through John's 964 site or where. Of course at $1 or less it's probably cheaper to get one rather than waste a bit.

Jason - do you have a picture of the pin you mentioned?
Old 08-26-2004, 12:37 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

In a pinch, I used a nail (12 or 16D, I cant remember). Fit snug through the shaft and gear collar, and is soft enough to flatten the ends. I think you can get a box of about 100 for around $1....
Old 08-26-2004, 04:18 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by craig001
Jason - do you have a picture of the pin you mentioned?
I'm sorry I never bothered to take a picture. When you split the lower and upper distributor housing you will see two guide pins, the pin on the primary side will slide out and the whole assembly will rotate slightly on the pin on the secondary side. Just knock out the pin next to the secondary gear shaft. Once you start taking the unit apart it becomes obvious and turns this into a really simple, less than 10 minute DIY.

Last edited by JasonAndreas; 08-26-2004 at 04:48 PM.
Old 08-26-2004, 04:27 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't buy a pin at a hardware store. The correct Porsche part is tapered slightly, so it makes a difference I think. Be sure to peen the pin after installing, and you WILL need a press or large vice in order to insert the pin (and, actually, to drill out the old pin). Don't take any chances regardless of what you use; you do NOT want this pin to come out and fall into the engine.

DaveR: If you're going to replace the belt yourself, give me a call and I'll look over your shoulder. Not that I'm an expert, but I did do this repair myself. Hope this helps.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:58 PM
RonnieM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave I just checked Pelican on the web by entering the part # in the little box in the upper right hand corner and in shows up. When I weas first looking for one of these pins I called Pelican and they told me parts were not available . A fellow rennlister put me on this part number and I ordered on line and recived part in a week. The part shows up as a 74 thru 89 MY but it sures works fine in my car.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:59 AM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
.... To help align the distributors there is a mark at 6 o'clock on the bottom of the primary lower distributor housing that you should line up with the indent on the primary shaft. When aligned, the primary shaft is pointing at Z1.
Hi Jason,

I can't figure out what 'mark at 6 o'clock' you are referring to. I can't quite tell whether I have my primary shaft lined up correctly, or if I'm a tooth off. It looks close, but not PERFECT... and I don't want to assume that it's close enough.

Thanks!
Old 05-08-2007, 01:20 AM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

In my case the marks did not line up perfectly. They were close, but definitely not perfect.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:21 AM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found a good roll pin at my local hardware store. Fit like perfectly.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:35 AM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Here's a DIY Write-up plus a few pics I pulled from Rennlist and p-car showing the marks to line up the rotors.

Again, my rotors did not line up perfectly, but I played with the belt going one tooth back and forth till I got them both pretty close to perfect. It seemed obvious to me that they were set correctly when I was done.
Attached Images    
Old 05-08-2007, 01:55 AM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 1 Post

I am aware of those marks, but unless I misunderstood Jason's remarks, it seemed that he was referring to marks on the lower housing, no?

It's interesting to hear that you didn't believe that your shafts/rotors were lined up "perfectly". Wouldn't the consequences of being off by a tooth be severe?

With both the primary and secondary shafts installed, I placed the rotors back on to help me determine if I was aligned properly with those marks that you show on the upper housing. But, again, it doesn't seem like they are BOTH simultaneously and perfectly pointing at marks. Is perfection realistic?

Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply: Roll pin for distributor shaft gear?