Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok, next stereo question...removal of the head unit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 09:40 PM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Ok, next stereo question...removal of the head unit?

I've got the stock CR-1 head unit in there now and I need to remove it. According to the place where I bought the new stereo, there is supposed to be tools for removing the head unit but I don't have them. They sent a set of VW head unit removal tools but I can't figure out whether they work. They don't seem to snap into place as prescribed by the instructions with the tools. So what do I need to do/get?
Old 08-17-2004, 09:43 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This might be easier than you would first think. Try sticking your hand up behind the radio and pushing it out of the dash. This also works for the CCU.
Good luck!
Brian
Old 08-17-2004, 09:44 PM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

lol..I'll try that.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:51 PM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

Nope, won't budge.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:15 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm, did you push really hard?
Can you take a picture of it? Maybe that would help.
Brian
Old 08-17-2004, 10:50 PM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

Looks like I'm going to need the special Porsche tool for removing that head unit.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:20 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure which Porsche unit you have, but to remove the OEM unit from my 964 I had to first remove a plastic trim ring around the outside of the stereo face. That will give you access to the DIN holes, which is where you put the head unit removal tools. There will be two hole on the left side and two on the right of the stereo face.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:50 PM
Carl Muckenhirn
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

THe best head removal tools I've found is 2 8" segments of wire coat hanger, bent to fit into the holes. Push in as far as you can (you may have to push a little) and then push the unit out from behind.

carl.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:58 PM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

Mine doesn't appear to have holes, so much as slots. I tried to take ap icture, but they turned out all blurry. I'm going to drop my a porsche dealership tomorrow and see if they'll just pull it for me.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:30 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Find the local thief. He will have it out in 15 seconds, including unlocking your door with no key!
Old 08-18-2004, 11:59 AM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by springer3
Find the local thief. He will have it out in 15 seconds, including unlocking your door with no key!
LOL...of course, you're right, but I can't get the sumbitch to budge. I just called the local Porsche dealership in Rockville, MD and they said that there are none of the tools to be had in their shop, but that "Andy has one at home and will try to remember to bring it in tomorrow". Ahhhhh!!! There has GOT to be a better way.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:17 PM
tom964
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have done it multiple times and didn't need a special tool. After removing the trim ring, a small srewdriver (protected with tape) will allow you to push the clips to the side. I think you push them inward, but I can't remember offhand. Do this while pushing one side and then the other just a tiny bit until they are both free, then it will push straight out.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:02 PM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tom964
I have done it multiple times and didn't need a special tool. After removing the trim ring, a small srewdriver (protected with tape) will allow you to push the clips to the side. I think you push them inward, but I can't remember offhand. Do this while pushing one side and then the other just a tiny bit until they are both free, then it will push straight out.
I'll give it a try. Thanks!
Old 11-21-2005, 07:52 PM
DustinTarditi
Instructor

I had a lot of trouble getting out the head unit in mine - I have the tools, but the unit was firmly seated in the "cage" - I wasn't able to push it out from behind - this guy was just plain stuck.

I popped off the faceplate on the radio and there are 2 small metal tabs with holes in them... after looking around a bit, they seemed integral to the chassis of the radio - perfect.

A little baling wire and a handle got me ready - I looped the free ends into the little tabs and gave it a tug as I slid the tools in their appropriate positions... it gave a groan then slid out EZ.

Now if I can find a wiring harness adapter for my new unit (Blaupunkt Casablanca MP54)... I don't want to cut apart the preamp plug unless I absolutely have to... :-)
Old 11-21-2005, 09:19 PM
9-kevin-11
Instructor

Dustin,

I've been told that Crutchfield sells harness adapters for our cars... I think you have to solder or crimp connectors on the wires needed by the new unit - but at least you don't have to cut into the existing harness...

btw - are you active in PCA? I'd love to see the yellow car sometime - the color looks beautiful!

Quick Reply: Ok, next stereo question...removal of the head unit?