Sponsored by:

PowerChip Experience

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 11:36 PM
schardine
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PowerChip Experience

Has anyone had any experience with the PowerChip? They claim 19 hp with 93 octain.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:25 PM
GP964
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Schardine,

I used them in all my euro cars, their great. Felt soo great that I became a distributor of PowerChip. Corporate office located in Santa Monica, CA.

Shoot me an email if your interested KZ1L59@yahoo.com

Thanks GP
Old 12-19-2004, 11:04 AM
schardine
AutoX

I thought I would let the list know that I purchased the 93 octain version of the Powerchip. I got it from Performance Auto who had it on sale at the time.

I am very pleased with the results. I don't have any way of measuring the power gain but it is noticable. The car definitly has better and smother acceleration and low end touque. I consider it the most cost effective performance option I have heard of.

One note on installation. Powerchip offers free installation. They will send you a shipping box, you send the ECU to them and they install the chip. I chose not to do that because I didn't want the downtime. But after installing, I would recommend it. The circuit board in the ECU was very hard to dislodge from the connector. I was afraid I was going to break it. I didn't, and the installation was successful, but if I did it again I would let them take the risk.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:56 AM
adwriter
Advanced

Question Powerchip in Australia

I've just come across this 220kb PDF brochure for an Australian company called Powerchip, offering a chip for the 964 among others.

They claim that their chip offers an extra 14kW (20hp) for AUS$1290 (US$1000).

http://www.powerchipgroup.com/datasheets/1/Por0017.pdf

According to the brochure, "The Powerchip will tap into your Porsche's 'hidden reserves', to give you an immediately noticeable improvement from your vehicle - we guarantee it!"

Is this the same chip that is sold in the US? The brochure makes for interesting reading, although there is no dyno chart.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:54 PM
GP964
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Adwriter,

Yes its the same company, let me know if you need one I'll give an awesome deal.

Thx
GP
Old 05-03-2005, 03:58 PM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Can a chip really make that much difference in an NA engine, especially one this old? I guess I need an education here. The brochure talks about timing advance but I'm not quite sure how the EMU adjusts timing advance in our system with the dual distributors that are hard wired into the works of the crank/cam, etc. Is there really a timing advance that the EMU controls? From where else does this chip derive HP? 20 HP sounds like a lot to me....
Old 05-03-2005, 04:28 PM
Flagg
Racer

RedRS,

Read my article under Members articles on the RS America web page called "Cup Car Preformance upgrades."

I know you live close to this shop I used. I would do exactally this upgrade. I can not believe the difference it made in preformance for the ammount it cost. I wish I had done it years ago.

I will have to take you for a ride someday.........Flagg
Old 05-03-2005, 04:57 PM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Flagg
RedRS,

Read my article under Members articles on the RS America web page called "Cup Car Preformance upgrades."

I know you live close to this shop I used. I would do exactally this upgrade. I can not believe the difference it made in preformance for the ammount it cost. I wish I had done it years ago.

I will have to take you for a ride someday.........Flagg
I'm reading the article now. I'd love a ride.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:24 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

Hmm. Interesting. How about some dyno runs?

c
Old 05-03-2005, 08:20 PM
adwriter
Advanced

Absolutely. My wallet stays firmly in my pocket until there's indisputable proof via a dyno chart from a reputable independent dyno outfit.

I always find it amazing that chippers make claims with no proof to back them up. I know it costs money to do a run, but the first chip maker who comes up with that guaranteed proof is going to make a fortunate from sales!
Old 05-03-2005, 09:34 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Ariticle is here: http://www.rsamerica.net/articles/me...ar_article.htm to make it easy for people to find.

Marc
Old 05-03-2005, 09:43 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

20hp for $300? Just sounds too good to be true and according to Adrian, it probably is. If it were true, wouldn't everyone already have one? Again, dyno runs would be nice.

c
Old 05-03-2005, 10:23 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Oh, I agree. I am as cautious as anyone else. Some proof would be nice - just posted the link for convenience.

Marc
Old 05-03-2005, 11:01 PM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

Are you kidding me? In 16 years, nobody has posted any dyno proof one way or the other regarding the alleged benefit of a performance chip on the 964? Oh man, that sounds like a Google challenge to me!

I, for one, cannot see myself relying on a butt dyno. I do hereby solemnly swear that if I persue a performance chip, I will get a before and after dyno run to demonstrate the difference....
Old 05-04-2005, 08:27 AM
Flagg
Racer

I have to say - I did not do a before and after dyno run. I should have. The place where I had the work done - Turbo Preformance Center - said they have done many cars before in this exact fashion - and dyno tested them to the results I posted in my article (thank you Mark for posting the link - I ment to do that!)

But I will say that the butt dyno shows quite a difference to me..........

Flagg

Quick Reply: PowerChip Experience