Sponsored by:

Yet another 964 restomod - Tedson Motors

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2024, 12:20 AM
rjf
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I am a bit confused. I was under the impression these were built off the 993? I have had ample time to look over #1 closely. I think everyone by now knows my opinion on these builds. This is no different.

AFAIK this is built off a 993. I was asked not to post any detailed photos but I have looked it over carefully and still walk away asking why chop up some of the best cars ever made? Irrespective of the end result which I will limit my comments about.

So unless they changed their direction after #1 there is something that doesn't add up. Screams 993 from what I
From Tedson’s website:

For Daydream development, road legal 1989-1994 Porsche 911 (964) Carrera 4 or Carrera 2 Coupe is required. Through this restoration process, the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), chassis and odometer reading remain unchanged and servicing, registering and operating procedures also remain the same.

Old 06-12-2024, 09:43 AM
s65e90
Race Car

Received 890 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary
https://tedsonmotors.com/daydream

This says 964.
No mention of 993.

As far as I'm concerned, chop as many of those ugly froggy 993 as you want. (Sorry to all 993 guys that have to suffer me).

Leave the 964 alone. Enough already.
Ya know, the 993 does have some funny proportions, more notably when you see the likes of some of these A/M guys like RWB bolting on flares where the lines then fail to match. Even the factory flared cars don't have the same nice flowing lines of a 964 or earlier car. I want to love them, but they're a little funny looking.
The following users liked this post:
Peteinjp (06-12-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 09:52 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,307 Likes on 1,365 Posts

This says 964.
No mention of 993.

As far as I'm concerned, chop as many of those ugly froggy 993 as you want. (Sorry to all 993 guys that have to suffer me).

Leave the 964 alone. Enough already.

Originally Posted by rjf
From Tedson’s website:

For Daydream development, road legal 1989-1994 Porsche 911 (964) Carrera 4 or Carrera 2 Coupe is required. Through this restoration process, the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), chassis and odometer reading remain unchanged and servicing, registering and operating procedures also remain the same.

I agree and read that as well. I can only base my comment off the #1 version I have seen up close and personal several times. Not going to say how or why but I have looked it over closely although top side, interior and engine bay only. Unless the #1 daydream R is a one off build Everything I see shows it to be built off a 993. I can understand why they would swap out the cowl and wiper assembly which they don't mention or I missed. Although why would the rear engine cross member be swapped over? I have not been underneath. Yet! However everything I saw showed it to be based off a 993.

Looks aside the engine has a nice set of ITB's nicely anodized in black. I do know they were highly impressed with my Blue Meanie build. Which may never get finished at this rate. Just waiting on the one part I can't do the tuning of the engine.

It is quite ironic that of all people the dealership my son works for has 2 RWB builds going on currently and I have no choice but to keep my mouth shut regarding them. You know how hard that is for me to do. I do respect his building such a brand for himself. Although I watch his work and craftsmanship and I see people in awe over what he is doing. It is nothing more than hacking up a car that I can do the same in my sleep. If they think cutting metal like that is an art form than I must be a Michelangelo and he a Salvador Dali. His parts are top notch glass though but his execution is painful as a life long fabricator for me to watch.

Last edited by cobalt; 06-12-2024 at 10:02 AM.
mark lintott (07-16-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 10:54 AM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 138 Posts

I came across the Targa version and I can't even wrap my head around it, it defeats everything awesome about a targa IMO with styling cues that remind me of custom Corvettes from the 70's...

Old 06-12-2024, 11:04 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

^^ that is a little too Gemballa Avalanche for me.
Ken D (06-12-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 01:46 PM
peterpullin
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts

horrible „design“, frugly result. no idea why some people try to bug the best designers that worked on this cars in factory.
there should be a huge tax for people doing so - may be that can stop them.
Old 06-12-2024, 02:01 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 68 Posts

This says 964.
No mention of 993.
Originally Posted by rjf
From Tedson’s website:

It also says this on their homepage....

After seeing the "Targavalanche", it's fair to assume they have no idea what they're doing
Old 06-12-2024, 07:29 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ken D
It also says this on their homepage....

After seeing the "Targavalanche", it's fair to assume they have no idea what they're doing
So i went and looked over #1 again it is 100% built using a 993 tub. Can’t say why this one is different or if there is an error in their website.
Old 06-13-2024, 11:03 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 433 Likes on 281 Posts

Couple things -
First- i think the 993 after being hacked up by nakai, is a better looking car. Which should tell you how little i like the 993.

Second, I'll just repeat that the 993, in every way, is a better car than the 964. And they are now usually easier to find and less expensive. Porsche made a massive amount of improvement in so many ways, handling, power and torque, sound, hell, you don't even have to do valves anymore. Most of the time we modify our 964, we end up with less power and not as good handling as a stock late model 993...so if one wants to do a restyling job...the 993 is the only thing that makes sense.
Old 06-14-2024, 09:57 AM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 256 Posts

Nakai is something else almost like a cult and no others can match his skills (thanks to Marlboro and Coca -Cola), i am wondering if he is on the same path of misunderstood folks (in the P Car world) similar to Vincent, Pablo, or Andy? We'll wait for the answer when he's gone?
Old 06-14-2024, 11:06 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Couple things -
First- i think the 993 after being hacked up by nakai, is a better looking car. Which should tell you how little i like the 993.

Second, I'll just repeat that the 993, in every way, is a better car than the 964. And they are now usually easier to find and less expensive. Porsche made a massive amount of improvement in so many ways, handling, power and torque, sound, hell, you don't even have to do valves anymore. Most of the time we modify our 964, we end up with less power and not as good handling as a stock late model 993...so if one wants to do a restyling job...the 993 is the only thing that makes sense.
I agree Porsche made improvements to the 993. Although these could have easily been installed and should have been used on the 964. I find there are pros and cons to many things done to the 993. The 993 still should have the hydraulic lifters repalced at 60k miles which is more costly than the lash adjustment every 15-20k miles. requires 2 oil filters to keep the lifters from failing and makes oil changes even more critical. I don't like them and converted mine to mechanical on my 993 engine for track use. They also remove that mechanical sound I love from these engines. Although the rear is more planted the car looses the classic 911 feel and my son has proven that these old cars can be as fast if not faster than modern cars including the 993 on track. He nearly broke 1m and LRP yesterday when we had an issue and had to stop. If Porsche tightened their engine tolerances as they did for the 993 the 964 would have been a much faster car. They always play games like this just like they restricted the 987.2 throttle body opening to 80% to reduce HP output. There are IMO pros and cons to every air-cooled 911 made. Although the pinnacle to me is the 964 and the 993 is the keystone that bridges the air-cooled to the water cooled with the changes made. My C2 with a lot of 993 parts and suspension upgrade is one of the best driving experience's IMO one can have. Planted like a 993 but doesn't have that GT feeling like a 928.

Originally Posted by 2swoosh
Nakai is something else almost like a cult and no others can match his skills (thanks to Marlboro and Coca -Cola), i am wondering if he is on the same path of misunderstood folks (in the P Car world) similar to Vincent, Pablo, or Andy? We'll wait for the answer when he's gone?
We have 2 of his builds coming up. I think people give him too much credit. Anyone can cut panel's with one hand while smoking a cigarette like he does with a little practice it isn't difficult or rocket science. What IMO makes his project work is the quality of his fiberglass pieces and the exact fit which as we all know the final product is only as good as the prep time put into it. I do give the man credit for building a following for his builds as he has. That is his true skill.

So does anyone know if they are using 964's or 993's like the #1 car which carries a 993 vin.

Last edited by cobalt; 06-14-2024 at 11:09 AM.
28gts (06-14-2024)

Quick Reply: Yet another 964 restomod - Tedson Motors