Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aging gracefully or becoming a wimp?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 11:53 AM
Surf Twang
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aging gracefully or becoming a wimp?

I've been driving my RS America a lot lately - like every day - and I'm having a blast. Unfortunately, it's also been a painful experience. My knees and ankles are shot from too many soccer games and my muscles aren't as flexible as they once were and the RSA really beats me up. So I've been thinking of moving to a 996 and, horror of horrors, I'm even open to a Tiptronic. Yikes! What's going on here? Somebody snap me out of this before it's too late...
Old 06-01-2004, 12:30 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

David, DON'T DO IT!!!!! Your RS is beautiful (I was quite jealous when I saw it)

Whether the aging is gracefully or not I don't know but I can tell you that it will be 'faster' if you sell the car!

Just drive the C240 more and save the RS for weekends. Get the Mrs another car if necessary! LOL!

Seriously can you do anything suspension wise to make the ride less harsh? Or how about a C2/C4 - straight swap for mine?!!

Just go down 92/35/19/Bonny Doon etc for an afternoon drive now that spring is here (windows down, engine roaring) you'll get over it!

Old 06-01-2004, 12:35 PM
vove
Burning Brakes

Surf Twang-
Just give yourself a good stretch before you start your daily driving(especially a long one), that should help a little for those sore muscles. .

Last edited by vove; 06-01-2004 at 06:44 PM.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:36 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 906 Likes on 533 Posts

The 996 TT has a feather light clutch . . .
Old 06-01-2004, 01:02 PM
Surf Twang
Instructor

Yes, the drive into work today was somewhat invigorating except for the time stuck behind a "roach coach".

996 TT, hmm. Help me out and start buying Sun Microsystems stock so my options become worth something!
Old 06-01-2004, 01:49 PM
PC2
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Aging gracefully or becoming a wimp?

Originally posted by Surf Twang
I've been driving my RS America a lot lately - like every day - and I'm having a blast. Unfortunately, it's also been a painful experience. My knees and ankles are shot from too many soccer games and my muscles aren't as flexible as they once were and the RSA really beats me up. So I've been thinking of moving to a 996 and, horror of horrors, I'm even open to a Tiptronic. Yikes! What's going on here? Somebody snap me out of this before it's too late...
Wanna trade for my 964 Tip? Keep your RSA, there are no substitutes for a 964 RSA.

Old 06-01-2004, 01:54 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Have you tried another 964 (preferably one with a new suspension) to compare rides? The RSA isn't that brutal, maybe your shocks are toast? Sorry to hear your options are with Sun, I'm so happy I never accepted a job at SGI or I'd be in the same boat.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:58 PM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

I'll Trade Ya!

I join you in your fustrations though. One of the reasons I went with a Tip for CA driving is the fustrations of slow poke traffic which seems to be attracted to Porsches for some reason. Seems like when ever I get on a nice stretch of fun roads a truck or SUV drops right in front...
Old 06-01-2004, 04:26 PM
JoeW
Pro

C'mon Twang! My ride's gotta be rougher than yours, and I've gotta be older than you (lots ), and I just sold my big, cushy automatic to go to steering with no power, shocks with little absorption, exhaust with less mufflication , and the most fun I've had sitting down ! (Gosh, I hope Phil Raby doesn't read this ... )

If you do sell your RSA, don't give it to someone young, give it to an old goat like me ... someone who'll appreciate it! Or at least find a way to stay out of it for, say, a week ... if you don't miss it, then think about selling.

Meanwhile, I hope they find a cure Joe W.
Old 06-01-2004, 04:37 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you adjusted the clutch return spring? It will lighten up your cluctch considerably.

BTW, I many be growing old. Last week, I took out my secondary bypass pipe because it was "too loud" and I wanted to "listen to NPR" on my way to work.

Old 06-01-2004, 04:59 PM
Surf Twang
Instructor

I hear you guys.

However, my fiance's moving in from Albuquerque so the RSA will have to become my daily driver (she gets the Mercedes) and I'm not sure how well suited the RSA is for that role.
Old 06-01-2004, 05:54 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

My wife began driving my ML320 after I got the Porsche - she announced some months ago that her Honda Civic was going to her sister (thanks for telling me!) and has been behind the wheel of the Benz ever since.
Therefore the 964 is getting A LOT more usage than the short weekend purpose for which it was intended. And you know what? Its great fun!! The girls love getting dropped off at school in it (as all the boys go "COOL...is that a Porsche??!!") and I love walking out of the office at night and seeing the 964 waiting in the parking lot! I never would have considered a 964 for a daily driver before, but I know what my next car is gonna be....a 964!!
Old 06-01-2004, 05:55 PM
oldtimer
Racer

Keep the RSA like everyone says, get another car to cover daily driver . I have got it covered both ways with a 996C2tip daily driver and a Euro 964RS...but I'm 60 years old and the RS with no power assist except on brakes is a hard ride , and the 996 is the best 911 for everyday.
Driving Porsche is an expensive choice but why be sensible ? two 's better than one
Old 06-01-2004, 06:02 PM
Surf Twang
Instructor

I like the two Porsche idea!
Old 06-01-2004, 08:58 PM
JoeW
Pro

Mine is a DD, too. And I don't mean that your taste has to match mine, but I'm wondering about two things: what did you like about the RSA that made you buy it? What has made you change your mind? The answer may help you sort all of this out. Joe W.

Quick Reply: Aging gracefully or becoming a wimp?