Sponsored by:

Pirelli P Zero's - any good?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 06:35 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pirelli P Zero's - any good?

It's time to replace my tyres. Was going to return to SO2s but Micheldever don't have the fronts and say they've been on order for a while. They do have SO1s (which I was a bit surprised at) but don't have them for the rears.

What they do have in stock - is Pirelli P Zero's - so I've reserved those for Friday. Anyone tried them? Are they any good?

By the way - these are standard 16" sizes (205/55 16 and 225 50 16). And please don't recommend Kuhmo's because someone did once before, they're what are on the car now and I'll be glad to be shot of them!

Last edited by DaveK; 05-18-2004 at 07:08 AM.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:47 AM
SKM
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts
Default P Zeros

I have P zeros on a 2001 Boxster. OEM tires, I believe. At 14K miles, these tires are very loud. The howling noise is very annoying and I will replace the tires soon.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:55 AM
Christer
Race Car

Dave

Remember that 17" wheels will most probably be available very soon....if it makes any difference...

Mytyres.net have SO2's - I just bought some from them....let me know?
Old 05-18-2004, 07:57 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm - Simon at PCT told me that my Contis were noisy, and that Pirellis and Michelins were the quietest... (if I remember correctly!).
Old 05-18-2004, 08:03 AM
DaveK
Race Car

I can live with the noise (as long as it's not too excessive) - it's grip I care about most.

Christer - was planning on Micheldever because my girlfriend also needs tyres so it's simpler to get them together. Will still store your wheels - and will certainly try them on the car - but I am nervous about using them as daily wheels. I figure that your wheels are a good way to see how 17s look / feel on mine for a few weeks. Then if I like them, I'll make sure I've got some 17s before I next need tyres. It is tempting just to stick to yours - but I think I'd spend all my time keeping them clean and worrying about kerbing them.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:29 AM
Christer
Race Car

Dave - i don't think that would be a problem, I mean wheels can be refurbed if necessary at reasonable cost and we can work something out if it comes to that a long way down the road. It's up to you though.

mytyres actually deliver the tyres anywhere you want so not sure how much easier it could be than that?

Let us know how you get on...
Old 05-18-2004, 08:39 AM
emilios
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave,

I replaced my S02's with a set of P-Zero Rosso's, they are absolutely excellent, grip and roadholding (at least in the dry) is outstanding and not as noisy as the S02's. The only drawback is they need a lot of time to warm up!

Best regards

Emilios
Old 05-18-2004, 08:47 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Christer,
I did look at mytyres - but they mention SO2s can take up to a week for delivery. However, you have made me think twice - I haven't been happy with the handling of my car for several months. I've got alignment next week - as well as service - and wanted tyres at the same time. But it's not totally necessary at the moment and I would prefer to go with tyres I know I liked.

I think I'll call around some local places and see how the cost of my girlfriends tyres varies. If it's not much - which I would expect since they shouldn't be expensive anyway - then we'll get her tyres locally and I'll probably cancel micheldever and go for SO2s after all. But - I might wait and see how I get on with your wheels first......
Old 05-18-2004, 09:13 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Ah, I've just experienced "Sods law".

I phoned around - and my girlfriends tyres are just a few £ more each. So I told Micheldever I didn't need the tyres they were holding.

I walked out to the car just to check the tyres were still OK and definitely do have a few thousand miles before they need replacing - and found my right rear is flat. So - it seems I do definitely need tyres now after all.

Mytyres say SO2s will take a week and I can't wait. So I shall be brave, experiment a bit and try the Pirelli. Lets hope they're as good as Emilios says!
Old 05-18-2004, 09:26 AM
Roygarth
Three Wheelin'

Dave, have you thought about Kuhmo's?

Seriously my RS came with PZero's. Was told they give more progressive feel and offer better grip in dry than SO2 but less in wet and will wear out quicker.

I can't believe I've got involved in a tyre discussion!
Old 05-18-2004, 09:32 AM
Christer
Race Car

He has Kumhos now and hates them......
Old 05-18-2004, 09:35 AM
Roygarth
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Christer
He has Kumhos now and hates them......
I know!

What's the ETA on mad car?
Old 05-18-2004, 09:50 AM
Christer
Race Car

You know?.....oh ok....

Maybe Saturday week, depending on how much time is needed to do the mapping. The bottom end is currently mostly completed and they have tested the cams with the pistons to see what we are able to use, so full steam ahead on the engine build. The LSD is all set up to go back in. The seats are out to install the Motec harness etc, so I guess it all depends on the Motec mapping. Oh, and the wheels have to be fitted of course.....and LWF or not to LWF?
Old 05-18-2004, 10:00 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Personally - I think you're mad if you don't go LWF. It's all in pieces anyway - you know that the motec will sort out any idle issues - and the cost is probably 0.01% of all the other stuff anyway.

I know your clutch is quite new - but that's just bad luck. After all - if your clutch was getting on a bit I think you would definitely do it - so it makes sense to just go for it.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:01 PM
JoeW
Pro

I'm really curious now -- any idea why S-02s seem easily available and all the dealers here in the states say they are "discontinued"? I can't think of any reason they wouldn't be "legal" with our ridiculous environmental laws, so why would the mfg. revise the markets? Anyone have an idea? Joe W.

Quick Reply: Pirelli P Zero's - any good?