Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrade project update (short)

Old 05-12-2004, 04:51 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Upgrade project update (short)

The heads have been at the machine shop for 2 weeks now, and should be back soon. In the meantime, Colin has finally finished the porting of the cases and so now the bottom end should be able to be built up. Apparently, due to other commitments Colin will now actually personally build back up and complete the project. I am pleased about that. Now, if I could only get a completion date confirmed......a week on Saturday looks likely however.....but I won't hold my breath...
Attached Images  
Old 05-12-2004, 07:33 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Christer,

It must be like hell for you, wasn't it April Colin said?

Think you'd better get yourself some sedatives for when she finally comes back, save tearing the backside out of it.......

But I know this will be worth it, thanks for the pics, it's almost like another Arjan adventure.

Kevin
Old 05-12-2004, 08:00 AM
Christer
Race Car

I think that I did state 24th April as an ideal completion date, but I gather that this information didn't filter down to Colin until around the 24th April....

It is harder than I thought (after all it is only a car) but....yeah....weekends drag a bit now....

Here's to Saturday week (I hope)! I guess there will be more pics as we go.
Old 05-12-2004, 11:07 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hmmmm, interesting.

IN the picture, someone is opening up the case and "boat tailing/dove tailing" the bores for windage - this is a modification normally reserved for older 911 engines with use over 8K RPM.

The theory was that the air that gets pushed back and forth as the pistons reciprocate has a smoother route...worth ~10hp during HIGH RPM usage.

Not to criticize or questions one's actions, but did Colin state the particular benefits to performing such mod on a 3.6 that will likely never see 8K?? - unless, of course you miss a shift.
Old 05-12-2004, 11:29 AM
Anatol
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since I currently investigate the pros and cons of a 3.8l conversion, I might jump in:
Do you use OE Porsche parts which require machining the crank case (which the pic might show) or did you choose P&Cs that fit directly into the standard 3.6 case?
Old 05-12-2004, 11:35 AM
Christer
Race Car

Yes, it is for a slight advantage at higher revs - and I am not sure that you have the 8K+rpm correct - don't bite my head off but I trust Colin in doing this as he knows a lot about this stuff. I think he said that there would only be slight benefit in doing this but he recommended it and there is hardly any cost. The heads are also ported.

FYI, this is a 3.8 motor with carillos and totally upgraded valvetrain so will rev quite happily to 7600rpm apparently (although depending on the cams it may be set lower than that. The rods though are good for 8k). I think 300 degree cams will be used depending on clearance, or we might just modify the pistons slightly. We will see.

Disclaimer: As I am not that mechanically minded I have to rely on what I have been told with no 100% guarantee that I have understood everything. Please feel free to probe me on this and watch me squirm under closer interrogation.
Old 05-12-2004, 11:44 AM
Christer
Race Car

Anatol

OEM parts. They are 3.8 Cup pistons and barrels - but slipfits. There are apparently 2 versions 109mm (need machining) 107mm (fit without modification).

Hope that helps....
Old 05-12-2004, 12:15 PM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Christer,

With all these mods going on, whats the warranty position?

Kevin.
Old 05-12-2004, 12:28 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

No biting off of heads here.

Just wanted to clarify why this was being done - I'm certain that Colin indeed knows what he's doing, but I'm also glad that he explained this would offer only a slight advantage - at higher revs.

Sounds like you're going the full monty!

...interested in seeing what the dyno #s say when it's all up and running clean. Do you plan on running the car on a dyno...or the engine??

Good deal Christer, Colin has my best wishes in continuing as planned.
Old 05-12-2004, 12:42 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hang in there! When's your track outing scheduled (hope I'm not touching a never)? Will you be able to make it?
Old 05-12-2004, 06:48 PM
Christer
Race Car

Originally posted by warmfuzzies
Christer,

With all these mods going on, whats the warranty position?

Kevin.
My guess would be that 9M would stand by their work, other than that I would say that there isn't one.
Old 05-12-2004, 06:53 PM
Christer
Race Car

Originally posted by Jeff Curtis
No biting off of heads here.

Just wanted to clarify why this was being done - I'm certain that Colin indeed knows what he's doing, but I'm also glad that he explained this would offer only a slight advantage - at higher revs.

Sounds like you're going the full monty!

...interested in seeing what the dyno #s say when it's all up and running clean. Do you plan on running the car on a dyno...or the engine??

Good deal Christer, Colin has my best wishes in continuing as planned.
Hi Jeff

I did do a run on their dyno before all this started (obviously!), and I think the corrected FWHP (I don't have the sheets yet so no further details right now) was around 270 or so. I will of course be doing a dyno session again after the car is run in to see what the difference is ultimately. In order to set up the Motec though, we have to do some pulls up to say 5k rpm in order for the car to function normally during the break-in period. It maybepossible to get some initial and partial numbers at that stage?

Everything is and will be fully documented and the data shared as far as possible with fellow Rennlisters.
Old 05-12-2004, 06:55 PM
Christer
Race Car

Originally posted by joey bagadonuts
Hang in there! When's your track outing scheduled (hope I'm not touching a never)? Will you be able to make it?
Hi Joey

I have nothing booked at the moment, but it may be the case that I can get the engine broken in before Boggy and co. are off the Ring in July, in which case I may be tagging along. So no worries on that front...
Old 05-13-2004, 07:14 AM
JW Hubbers
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Christer
I have nothing booked at the moment, but it may be the case that I can get the engine broken in before Boggy and co. are off the Ring in July, in which case I may be tagging along.
I'll keep my fingers crossed then. Would be nice to see (and hear ) your car in action in a suitable environment

Cheers,

JW
Old 05-13-2004, 07:36 AM
Christer
Race Car

Hi JW

It would be pleasure to show mine and see your car as well! I look forward to a few pointers on how to drive the Ring...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Upgrade project update (short)