Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Locks, Cylinder Barrell, and other fun stuff...

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 05:49 AM
ALLPRO
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation key handle

This helps my work,

And I would have a question.

My left handle is without the door where the key comes in

I wanted to take a left lock, pull the brass pieces (measured on my key) and swap it, in a lock used

Important question, the heart of left and right locks are the same? Can I even use a right heart lock? (The key always locks clockwise, right?)

Thank you all and forgive my bad English translated with google
Old 10-20-2020, 10:49 AM
Undutched
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
I'm so, so grateful for 3DE's photos above! That made all the difference as I pulled off the door panel and started pulling back the weatherproofing. I can't believe I'm "inside" these iconic doors.

It's always about that ONE bolt. In this case, reaching the bolt inside the door next to the lock cylinder was almost impossible. It's way back there, with not a lot of room to get hands and tools in at the same time. I spent the next 20 minutes trying to figure out a way to get that last bolt off (an Allen wrench pressed into the end of a socket wrench attachment). Also, I might never had reached this point without the pics and text describing the plastic lock cover!

Now the fun really begins. I pull the handle off and try to figure out what to do with that white wire (I disconnected it at the plug located at the bottom middle of the door, not at the door handle - seemed safer...). It's really interesting how that wire snakes through the door. After disconnecting it from inside the door I was able to pull the door handle out and see what parts where still connected to the lock cylinder.

Searching around the door bottom I found the screw that came off of the end of the lock cylinder and the metal lever arms that attach to it. Then I found a small spring?? I remembered 3DE's picture above. Huge thanks! I reset everything per the picture and tested it a couple times. Open, close, open close.

Can I reuse the plastic door weatherproof cover again? I've only peeled off enough to get access to the door handle, and adhesive is still sticks well when I reseal the door. It's amazing how much lighter and tinier the door feels and sounds with the door panel off. I might use this opportunity to take the speakers out...

Anyone have the missing pictures of this post?
Old 10-20-2020, 11:54 PM
darylbowden
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Undutched
Anyone have the missing pictures of this post?
I don't but it really isn't as hard to get back there as that post makes it sound. I can't remember exactly which tool I used, but it was no problem. Once you have the panel off it's pretty obvious what to do.
The following users liked this post:
Undutched (10-21-2020)
Old 06-18-2022, 02:16 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 116 Posts

Big thanks to everyone in this thread. I wanted to add my 2 cents to resolve my always revolving lock cylinder. Also don't forget the that doors will not fully lock and stay there without both doors closed.

Old 11-16-2022, 06:16 PM
gccch
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Excellent post here. I had this cylinder fall out on me last night and today with the help of this I got it back together quickly.

My only problem is the key hole is now very sloppy. I think the rubber ring that keeps it tight was so degraded it fell apart as it was going in. Wondering if anyone has had any luck inserting a rubber bushing from the outside. I don't want to take it apart again for this, but the door panel is still off.

Quick Reply: Door Locks, Cylinder Barrell, and other fun stuff...