Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuse box, an internal PCB or similar?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2022, 12:02 PM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 395 Likes on 250 Posts
Default Fuse box, an internal PCB or similar?

Hi guys.
I have a fuse box that has developed two faults, the internal connections from a fuse to a relay is cut.
The connection between Fuse 13 (cabrio roof) and relay R21 (cabrio roof) is simply not there. The same between Fuse 15 and R51 brake booster pump. This results in a non-op (C4) brake booster pump as well as cabrio roof. They operate normally if I bridge these points, so I am sure the internal connection is broken.
I have never dug deep into this before, but the schematics tell me that these internal connections are inside the fuse box enclosure, and not wire bridges on the connectors underneath it.

Has anyone opened the fuse box and can tell if there's a kind of printed circuit board or other internal circuitry that should carry these internal wiring connections?
By "opened", I mean to disassemble the plastic enclosure to reveal the copper relay and fuse holder clamps, not only taking out the complete fuse box out of the surrounding metal tray in the frunk.

X-posted on the 993 forum as well, since this is the same type of fuse box.

Thanks in advance,
Tore

Old 09-16-2022, 03:55 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,091 Posts

So I have a little bit, but not super deep. What I recall is the central electric box is basically a retaining system for a whole bunch of plugs that are crimped to pins to the harness on the back side. I don't recall a PCB there, but I didn't look all the close. Unlike the old 914 engine bay fuse board, which was a big PCCB encased in epoxy that always breaks.

You can see a poor picture here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...l#post17127327

You should be able to trace to the fuse box wire on the back side and see the crimp points. I assume you have the full wire diagrams?
Old 09-16-2022, 05:15 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I nearly split the board apart but was scared to damage the cooper connections.
Old 09-17-2022, 05:14 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 395 Likes on 250 Posts

Thanks.
I took out and dismantled the fuse box, this wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. A 30-minute job, out and in again.
This proved to be another case of loose 964 fuse/relay holders. My probes did not even touch the copper clamps when poked them down through the opening. Case closed.
Tore

Quick Reply: Fuse box, an internal PCB or similar?