Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrify your classic?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2022, 06:42 PM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 119 Posts

As an urban commuter, no question it's doable, especially with a home charger but as someone who frequently road trips, it doesn't work. For example, on what's normally a 2.5 hour drive to Utah, we had to stop and charge for 20 mins so we could get to the destination and make it back to the charger so we could then charge it again to get home, lol.
Old 03-30-2022, 08:43 PM
Ubipa
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Vegas993
As an urban commuter, no question it's doable, especially with a home charger but as someone who frequently road trips, it doesn't work. For example, on what's normally a 2.5 hour drive to Utah, we had to stop and charge for 20 mins so we could get to the destination and make it back to the charger so we could then charge it again to get home, lol.

Roundtrip travel is one area that needs further development with EV charging. Tesla’s point A to B algorithms are great for fast charging and time, but their roundtrip is lacking. It’s great I can get to point B but if I don’t have enough charge to get back to a charger, it’s pointless. Then there’s the whole, if you are above a percent of charge, you can’t supercharge; so to charge adequately for the roundtrip, it takes more time. Come on!
Old 03-30-2022, 09:36 PM
964Luftballoon
Pro

Received 143 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Vegas993
This exactly, Had a buddy drive his Tesla to go on a trip from Houston to New Orleans for a family visit. A normal 5hr trip took 8hrs. Until the range, charging stations, and charging times electric is not worth it outside urban commuting.
Old 03-31-2022, 02:48 PM
SR20Fastback
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by cbracerx
May I suggest posting in the 914 forum?

And just like that, the water I was drinking almost ejected from my nose.
The following users liked this post:
cbracerx (03-31-2022)
Old 03-31-2022, 04:27 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,587 Likes on 991 Posts

How old a classic are we talking about? How about an electric car from 1897, which was one of the best selling cars at the time?

If you want something a little more modern, you could stick with Porsche, and even go hybrid.

You just might want to replace the battery, though.
Old 03-31-2022, 08:57 PM
jonathant
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I’m waiting for a gasoline still that pulls carbon from the air and combines it with water and solar power to make fuel at home. Chemical batteries just aren’t as good a storage medium as long chain hydrocarbons.
Old 04-01-2022, 10:22 AM
Amroth
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

*reads thread title*

ew.
Old 04-08-2022, 02:57 PM
jonathant
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

It seems Porsche has also been thinking about synthetic fuel as an alternative to electric:
https://www.motor1.com/news/578626/p...ls-production/
Old 04-12-2022, 05:51 PM
bullfighter
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

I wouldn't. In addition to losing the signature flat six sound, I suspect that EV technology will continue to improve. Today's conversion may be outdated garbage in 10 years. An air cooled Porsche will remain a classic.
Old 04-13-2022, 12:42 AM
georgej
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 41 Posts

I have seen this thread dangling in front of me since initiated and just read through it. What an absurd conversation on the 964 forum. The 964 is the last air cooled Porsche with the lines of the original 911 save bumpers and a few details. Why would anyone consider taking the raison d'être and mucking around with 2022 electric drive and effectively neutering it not to mention whatever refit will be dated two years out. Electric cars are mandated to be our future but keep your mitts off of these icoms. I do think that future EV sports cars will be fantastic but don't cobble up a great AC 911 just to assuage some religious guilt.
Old 04-13-2022, 02:47 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Alway thought this was the best approach, a hybrid:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-hybrid-drive/
Old 04-13-2022, 04:55 PM
georgej
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by J richard
Alway thought this was the best approach, a hybrid:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-hybrid-drive/
I believe they had a 964 at a BCR drive last year starting at a shop in Santa Rosa. I think that was the name but not certain. I find it to be an interesting and perhaps logical approach and very much of the times. That said I would not install that in my car even if I were paid to do so. I enjoy and appreciate the 29 year old tech that my car left the factory with. There are and will be lots of high tech new electric cars that will take us forward into the future. If you want your 964 to go fast then build/have built for you a 3.8 with cool bits, itb injection, etc. Keep it old school. My 2 cents.
Old 04-13-2022, 05:56 PM
964Luftballoon
Pro

Received 143 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by georgej
I believe they had a 964 at a BCR drive last year starting at a shop in Santa Rosa. I think that was the name but not certain. I find it to be an interesting and perhaps logical approach and very much of the times. That said I would not install that in my car even if I were paid to do so. I enjoy and appreciate the 29 year old tech that my car left the factory with. There are and will be lots of high tech new electric cars that will take us forward into the future. If you want your 964 to go fast then build/have built for you a 3.8 with cool bits, itb injection, etc. Keep it old school. My 2 cents.
Everrati Cars

https://www.everrati.com/
Old 04-13-2022, 07:33 PM
georgej
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 964Luftballoon
Full electric NO THANKS. Lets rip the air cooled soul completely out and give you back a faux 911. The following is the beginning of an article on their website and I think it speaks volumes:

It feels and sounds like an arcade game; the double stainless steel pipes aren’t over-the-top exhausts, they’re actually speakers; and its flat-six engine has been replaced by an electric motor.

This one’s been converted by an Oxfordshire company called Everrati.

Acknowledging that half the fun of a sports car is the noise it makes, they’ve added audible innovations, including digital revs that are selected from an app and connected to the accelerator pedal.

Haptics even allow the bodywork, gearstick and steering wheel to vibrate when I blip the throttle, to simulate the experience of punching cylinders mounted in the rear. The performance is superior to its internal combustion past. This is by far the most joyful EV I’ve driven so far.

The engine is, traditionally, considered a car’s heart and soul, which explains why ripping one out is considered sacrilege by many classic connoisseurs.

So why would someone gut the insides of a petrol-quaffing Carrera and replace it with a more modern, electric powertrain?

According to Car SOS’s Fuzz Townshend, classic cars could run better after being converted to run on electric power and thus offer a ‘more pleasurable driving experience’. It’s also true that even under the most diligent maintenance routine, classic cars have a reputation for being unreliable.
The following users liked this post:
964Luftballoon (04-14-2022)
Old 04-14-2022, 01:57 PM
klokwerk
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

With all this said, I do agree with GeorgeJ that the engine is the heart of and soul of a car. But that doesn't mean that heart & soul can't be electric. To me, it means that it's what moves us and makes us want to drive more.
I don't agree that half the fun is in the sound it makes. Maybe 10%. I do love the sound at 7k rpm!

We're all familiar with the history of the aircooled flat six wonder that's in our cars. Here's a good run down by Hagerty.com.
Note the long section of where Porsche, from 1965 on, made constant fixes to address problems inherent in the design/manufacturing of the engine. They knew that constant improvement kept the breed alive.

Porsche themselves gave up and went water cooled, and now are seeing the light with electrification and the Taycan.
There's no denying the performance gains and lower cost of ownership when going electric. For those two reasons alone I'd convert.

Even though I'd posted here earlier, regarding the high cost of a conversion, my enthusiasim for electrification hasn't changed.
Maybe, the solution for me is just around the corner. An electric 718 could make me jump ship.

Quick Reply: Electrify your classic?