Sponsored by:

Resurrection of a Sh!t box

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2021, 09:09 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,307 Likes on 1,365 Posts
Default Resurrection of a **** box

I purchased this 91 C4 which had been converted into a C2 a long time ago for club racing. I had been looking for over 4 years for a reasonably priced 964 Coupe that I can use for an upcoming project. Although with both my slick top and dedicated track use 3.8RSR tribute builds on hold due to many things, I needed a car to use for track duty for a while until the other projects are finished. So I stopped working on the other projects to get this car ready for some track duty. The car AFAIK has sat unused for 10 years with decals from a DE from NNJR region and metro NY showing 2011 dates. I was lucky to pick up the car for a very low price of $33,500. In all honesty I expected it was worth that in parts but turns out it was worth more.

The car started life as a cobalt blue C4 and I recognize the car as I got further into it once having pictures of it when it was still cobalt with hideous yellow bumpers. Seamed to be the paint scheme for racers back in the day very much like Pete Tremper's 964 with red bumpers on a black car.

When the car arrived it was pretty fugly. But I expected it. Now the issue was my wife and I both drive and she would be seen in a car this hideous. It had been crashed a few times but that doesn't bother me as the damaged bits will eventually be cut off and replaced with wide body panels and a sunroof delete. There is a slight tweak to the tub but that is easily repairable and the car aligns perfectly.

So I had to do something about its looks.

The comparison between the wide body track of the RSR I am building and a narrow body. This car ends up putting down 100hp less at the wheels than my prior RSR engine ut should prove quick enough.

Not sure who paints a car white with green and gold accents like this but it made me gag when I saw it. So first thing was to remove the gold decals.

This was just not good enough. The green was pretty bad but the missing right headlight was also a concern. I started to hammer out the damage which seemed straight forward until the pounds of bondo broke free leaving a mess.

The entire right rear and front fenders were pushed in and instead of taking a few hours to pound out the dame the seemed to fell lathering lots of filler would be adequate. It didn't take much to fix most of the damage and fit a headlight but what I don't get was they found it easier to machine the backside of a wheel by 0.250 to adjust the offset and stop the tires from rubbing then repairing the damage. I also had a set of E88's floating around I decided to use and the offset was a bit more excessive than the vintage CCW's that came on the car. This required a bit more stretching and pulling but who cares these parts will be replaced eventually.

So as I pulled and hammered on the car it seemed to resolve most everything but the looks.

So I had some cans of Eastwood's 2k rat rod paint floating around and decided the green had to go. I need to remove the bumpers and bits to fix some damage and check the car was safe for track duty. I also like to know as much about the car as I can so it made everything accessible.

Some 400 grit paper and elbow grease I soon had the bumpers, rockers, mirrors, wing bits and gas cover painted rat rod black. This still left the front hood green.

I had some mat black film so it was easier to wrap the hood in all black and be done with it and this took care of the cosmetics for the most part.

Last edited by cobalt; 05-24-2021 at 08:31 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by cobalt:
9SIX4-C4 (05-21-2021), Deserion (05-21-2021), Marine Blue (05-21-2021), peterpullin (05-23-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 09:31 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Default Now for the fun stuff

Surprisingly the car is amazingly solid. I see cars all the time with less miles and far less cosmetic damage in far worse mechanical condition. The car came with Cup car shocks and Eibach 600/800 springs, RS sways and all ERP or tarett monoballs already installed. Big brakes using the C4 electro hydraulic braking system and many other upgrades. The G50 has short gears and what appears to be a guard LSD. They also modified the drive shafts RS style to prevent grease from leaking out from hard driving. So many little things already taken care of and relatively fresh. When the car arrived we could tell it was strong. It easily lit up the old tires and was quick so it was time to put it on the dyno and test the engine. I knew it had been messaged after talking to the builder and was told it was quicker than a 964 cup car when raced. It ended up being a very strong engine putting down more power than many 3.8 Slip in conversions I have tested.

It would appear they found a way to copy what the factory and ANDIAL did back in the day for the 964 cup cars. The car is a stock 3.6 as far as I can tell. The power output was quite impressive for nothing added. After a few pulls on a relatively warm day the results proved significant. A stock sound 964 will put down around 209-210 RWHP this car put down 233.7 but most importantly the torque was increased considerably to nearly as much far more than a stock 3.6L. I suspect some playing with the cam timing and increase of compression is what did the job. This being a mustang dyno which usually disappoints didn't today. Roughly 270 hp and torque at the crank is quite impressive for a relatively stock engine.

The results can be seen here. These were the results from the last pull so a little less power due to heat. You can really feel the torque in this car when driving it and is as fast some cars with more power like a 996GT3. I am assuming the gearing had something to do with it.

All in all it is a clean dry engine and now that all the old dried out bits have been replaced all fluids flushed and new cup 2's installed I am ready for some track duty. I wish I had the other car done but for now this will do.

Last edited by cobalt; 05-21-2021 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-21-2021, 09:34 AM
9SIX4-C4
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 104 Posts

@cobalt for <$34k, this car is a steal in today's valuation. where the car is more than the price. I will gladly use this as a weekend driving tour, cars and coffee car Please keep it coming,
Old 05-21-2021, 09:41 AM
tjb616
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

Wait... they machined the rear wheel to sit more inward to help clear the fender? Seriously? Shame, I was going to say I could use those track wheels!
Old 05-21-2021, 09:43 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 9SIX4-C4
@cobalt for <$34k, this car is a steal in today's valuation. where the car is more than the price. I will gladly use this as a weekend driving tour, cars and coffee car Please keep it coming,
I have to admit I got very lucky but have to thank Matt from GT transmissions for putting me in touch with the seller. I have seen similar cars sell for $20k more.
Old 05-21-2021, 09:48 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tjb616
Wait... they machined the rear wheel to sit more inward to help clear the fender? Seriously? Shame, I was going to say I could use those track wheels!
They didn't machine the CCW's those have gone to a 83 944 project I am helping with. This was a $1000 barn find which we are working on. This is turning out to be another great deal.

These are the wheels they machined down so not as much an issue. They are free if you want them. But I figured you wouldn't be interested. might be scrap metal at this point.

Last edited by cobalt; 05-21-2021 at 09:54 AM.
Old 05-21-2021, 10:01 AM
luv2race
Rennlist Member

Received 455 Likes on 226 Posts

What a transformation. I do appreciate your candor on describing the aesthetics......I recall you mentioning you got a great deal on an ugly car with great mechanicals. She looks pretty good now. Congrats and let us know how your first track day goes in this great find.
Old 05-21-2021, 11:30 AM
darylbowden
Rennlist Member

Received 517 Likes on 343 Posts

I actually don't mind the white/green paint scheme. The weird 996/7 GT3RS-style gold decals were horrible but the colors I didn't mind. Looks great now though and certainly more functional. Would love to see what the fender look like after you hammered them out too. That was an insane amount of bondo on that thing.
Old 05-21-2021, 01:06 PM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 543 Likes on 277 Posts

I would love to find a car just like this one. Great find Anthony!!

Mr. Wolfe
Old 05-21-2021, 01:18 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 358 Likes on 219 Posts

Hey Cobalt - this is a great story and you know how I love the story. I'll keep following. Will you keep this a track car long term or are you thinking it may some day wear a license plate?
Old 05-21-2021, 01:50 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jpoint
Hey Cobalt - this is a great story and you know how I love the story. I'll keep following. Will you keep this a track car long term or are you thinking it may some day wear a license plate?
Once the other track car is completed this will be a 3.8RS clone for street use. I plan to paint it in its original color cobalt. I have all the factory parts waiting but I can’t justify starting a new project until the other two are done.
Old 05-23-2021, 12:56 PM
Dan Jacobs
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

Looks great Anthony! Quite a transformation
The following users liked this post:
cobalt (05-24-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 08:35 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dan Jacobs
Looks great Anthony! Quite a transformation
Thanks Dan, Heck of an engine you built.👍
Old 05-24-2021, 12:13 PM
tjb616
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
They didn't machine the CCW's those have gone to a 83 944 project I am helping with. This was a $1000 barn find which we are working on. This is turning out to be another great deal.

These are the wheels they machined down so not as much an issue. They are free if you want them. But I figured you wouldn't be interested. might be scrap metal at this point.
Ah well that makes me feel better. I don't recognize those so Im not sure where to find a replacement. If they're quality wheels and I could find a new rear I might be able to put them to use on the track. Don't go out of your way trying to figure it out for me, though.
Old 05-25-2021, 10:05 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tjb616
Ah well that makes me feel better. I don't recognize those so Im not sure where to find a replacement. If they're quality wheels and I could find a new rear I might be able to put them to use on the track. Don't go out of your way trying to figure it out for me, though.

These aren't great quality wheels. But can be used with a spacer. I can hold on to them if you want maybe we will meet up soon now that things are settling out.

Meanwhile almost ready for Tbolt this Friday Saturday. My son is almost finished with numbers and some graphics.

The car is still a **** box but should do the job. I see many friends attending some I haven't seen in years and it will be nice to have so may I know to drive with. Although many have moved onto GT4's and other more formidable track weapons so I will be peddling as hard as I can to keep up.

My friend Jose from ID signs up this way printed out some bandaids to cover up some of the damage. Kind of a tongue and cheek joke. He adds blood stains in the shape of different race tracks.

All that is left is the sun visor banner across the top of the windshield and a brake fluid flush and I am ready. No wiper arms and a 30% chance of rain so I am hoping that won't be an issue.

The following 2 users liked this post by cobalt:
964George (05-26-2021), heliolps2 (05-26-2021)

Quick Reply: Resurrection of a Sh!t box