Sponsored by:

Resurrection of a Sh!t box

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2024, 05:41 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,090 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyder_2011
Bummer on the leak, that just adds to the work! Hopefully the corrosion damage is minimal and you can get the smell cleared out after everything is dry.

I’m looking forward to seeing the progress and more importantly seeing the beast back on the track.
It is minimal thankfully. I had removed all the extra loose carpet and rear shelf long ago which I'm replacing anyhow I have lots of newer less smelly stuff. Only some lower wet insulation so drying nicely with the fans. no rust other than some minor surface but the car is already cosmetically challenged. I will use the ozone generator to get rid of the smell. Helios turned me onto it with my 944 I sold that had extensive white mold. A little vinegar and the ozone generator took care of the smell. But like you said just another delay and it will take a few days to clear it up.

My son is coming over Sunday so we can start gutting everything else and start installing the new pedals, shifter and steering rack before the game.

BTW I am looking for some seats. Need a seat for this car preferably a larger size and I will have inserts made for the three of us so we can all drive it and I need a very nice set of clean black might consider red racing seats for the GT4.

meanwhile if anyone is interested i have a set of Sparco QRT-V's for sale https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale...-like-new.html
The following users liked this post:
heliolps2 (02-09-2024)
Old 02-13-2024, 09:59 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I am going to try to be diligent about posting progress. Hopefully I have a March 22 day at the track for its shake out🤞

Started by pulling what isn't staying. Seats are getting changed out. New harnesses, and I have to wire an Aim system and 2 cameras for racing. There is a ton of wiring under the dash I want to remove first.

For now I pulled the numeric shifter which is going up for sale. Nice unit just not my or my sons personal preference. I also rebuilt a spare steering rack which is being installed.

So for now I have a husk of a car needing just about everything including the engine I have to get cranking on.

Slowly pulling old wires out from under the dash. Who or WTF is going on with wire nuts in car wiring. There are many I need to solder and fix.

Numeric is out

Going with the FD bits. clean and simple and oh yes I had them in stock doing nothing. For a banged up car with 145k miles it is nice and clean underneath. Also forgot new fuel lines are a must. So much for not spending money on this car. although I guess it was meant to be. Buying this so cheap during covid proved to be a blessing. My son gets to club race with a car already mostly setup for it. I get to drive it at DE's unless the Blue Meanie gets done first.

Too many projects at once. Too much stuff I've collected and acquired over the years.

Rebuilt rack. The other has far too much wear and is sloppy irrespective of the ZF rebuild tag. I suspect that was a long time ago. Interestingly the rack doesn't leak at all but Better safe as they say. Nice paint job LOL

No excuses to go out and play. Put several hundred miles on my GT4, Cayman S and Boxster GTS this past week with the nice weather so now I have no choice but to get this finished. Storm is just starting 2" per hour and 5" already.
Old 02-13-2024, 10:04 AM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 232 Posts

Your backyard is amazing A! and on a clear day you can see NY city skyline!
Old 02-13-2024, 10:17 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2swoosh
Your backyard is amazing A! and on a clear day you can see NY city skyline!

It has gotten worse you can't even see the hot tub anymore it is coming down so fast and hard.

BTW I forgot this pic.

It is a mess and my OCD wants to redo it but this is car not worth going crazy over. I have to have a full interior for his class. I also need to pop the rear windows and reseal. I have spare seals so they will be installed and hopefully remove any chance of leaking again. The fan and ozone generator really got rid of the smell and my eyes no longer tear up when working on it.

I work best under pressure so here we go. LOL

Want to see the new toy but looks like that won't be a while at least until a good rain. I think this is the last storm of the year otherwise I am skinning that Groundhog. LOL

Other things I forgot to mention is new padding the old stuff is rock hard and useless, Netting and a new quick disconnect. The one in the car is garbage. I had the wheel come off in my hands on track at speed. Not a fun experience.
Old 02-14-2024, 04:32 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

nearly 10" of snow and 5 hours to dig out but made some time on the car.

It wasn't much but simple stupid stuff takes time. I don't claim to be doing my best work as this car is only worth so much of my time. But I do try to protect everything as much as possible,

My son kept pushing on the loose drain plug in the frunk. He likes to push my buttons just like his mother. So eventually had to come off and be fixed. Luckily I had some seam sealer left over from the cup car and I went to work on it. Cleaned all the rust and metal then painted it with a self etching primer sealant. Coated the areas with seam sealer and went to town. By far not my best work but acceptable for this car which needs so much more.

Bad weld across the back of the hole with some minor surface rust.

Cleaned and sprayed with etching primer

They were so lazy they trimmed the cover plate to fit.

I have used better but this does the job. Gooey stuff. An acid brush makes for the easiest application.

Applied to the tub first

Copious amounts on the cap

installed and more seam sealer on top.

A bit more below.

It is funny for a car that is so cosmetically challenged for me, it has all new parts and every upgrade one would want in a 964. I have to check but even the MC seems to be relatively new.

Hard to say but this might be a 993TT M/C. The car has full big brake upgrade.

Old 02-22-2024, 09:33 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

This weeks update. Slowly working through some of the cars issues. First thing is to resolve the water leak. The car is not a garage queen. I have all the smell gone. I decided to just start from scratch and started taking everything apart. Removed the seats to access everything under the dash. I removed some of the cage. It made it easier to pull all the old wiring which was plentiful.

The gen 1 Rennline pedal had to go. At one time this was cutting edge.

I decided to use the same 80+ year old stair tread material on the drivers floor board to add grip in case of wet conditions. I still can't believe the adhesive and material are just as good as new. A testament to what we could do in this country which we can't do today. Hopefully it isn't toxic but too late for me.

Instead of sand like we see in these products today they used carborundum.

So with a lot of coaxing, some very sharp razor blades and effort the rear windows are out. The seals were like rocks and will be repalced. A surprising amount of dirt in the rear window lower channels. I expected to see a lot of rust as many of these cars do in the lower rear window area but to my surprise there was practically nothing. But as minimal as it is I need to preserve it for the time being so a little time spent there.

Lower right. A small amount of rust detected.

Lower left after some cleaning a lot of the dirt and a large amount of silicone that clearly was pumped in on top of the dirt so never bonded. No rust.

I was happy to see the rear glass was in perfect shape. All the connections in place despite them cutting all the wires to the glass and they used 24 gauge zip cord to power the third brake light. I will use this in the Blue Meanie project and use the rear glass with the hole in this car for now. I will rewire the rear window defrost it is always good to have.

As usual the rust area grew

I didn't want to get carried away so a little cleaning. I couldn't poke through just some deeper pitting I wasn't ready to mess with currently.

Used a rust encapsulator

After light sanding some acid etching primer

Some white paint. I guess cobalt or any color would do.

So as I said not worth going overboard on this car for now. I am not proud of this work but it does what it needs to do. The white paint will need some sanding before the glasses go back in and there is a ton of other small things needed. I just need to get the car sealed properly before I start putting more parts into it.

Meanwhile I pulled the #1 cylinder from the engine to confirm my thoughts and the engine internals all appear to be fine. I have decided it is easy enough to install new rings. The barrels measure fine and despite some hand done honing which will be rectified the engine looks like it was rebuilt not all that long ago. As soon as i get the rings in from EBS I will cut them to fit and have the cylinders honed so the rings seat properly.

Hopefully I will be further along by next week. I am still amazed at the condition of this car overall. Despite the outward body damage the tub and everything else is in A1 overall condition. Ironic it is in better shape than some of the 964's I see trade hands these days. Glad I saved this one from the chopping block.

Last edited by cobalt; 02-22-2024 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-22-2024, 10:01 AM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 232 Posts

nice! make her as lightweight as possible see if you can get down 2600 lb or less? free hp
Old 02-22-2024, 11:14 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2swoosh
nice! make her as lightweight as possible see if you can get down 2600 lb or less? free hp
Sadly Nick will be club racing this and the rules state that the car needs to weigh 3100 pounds with driver. I plan to remove all the valuable stuff like the CCU and whatever else isn't needed some insulation possibly then I will need to bolt weight to the floor boards to get here up to the desired weight. At least the weight can be placed where it is best suited for handling.

I have a lot of work to do and the clock is ticking.
Old 02-24-2024, 06:32 PM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Received 245 Likes on 173 Posts

I like seeing this car get attention and being recognized. For some reason I have always thought it had value and happy to see it moving forward. And maybe at some point it will get renamed in recognition of its assets as it deserves on it's own merit. It is a survivor. Good on ya!
cobalt (02-26-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 09:24 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by c didy
I like seeing this car get attention and being recognized. For some reason I have always thought it had value and happy to see it moving forward. And maybe at some point it will get renamed in recognition of its assets as it deserves on it's own merit. It is a survivor. Good on ya!

Thanks. Maybe this is another ugly duckling story. For now it will be a club racer but I have a funny feeling he will move on to something newer and then it will be time for a full transformation. I always wanted to build this into something special.

At tech tactics east yesterday. They did a nice job but not like prior years. More geared towards first timers which there were many. I did speak to the head of club racing and see I can scratch at least one big $$ item off the list for now and use what I have.

Going to visit my friend Bob at Stable Energies on Wednesday and will be spending money on all sorts of fun stuff. Just found out I have a 4/22 date scheduled for T/bolt at NJMP and a 4/20 4/21 date scheduled for Lightning at NJMP. Now I have to get the GT4 ready for DE and this car ready for the shake out.

I was just futzing with mall stuff until the parts come in. Once again my OCD can't leave well enough alone. The rear parcel shelf needs to go back in for the class so I couldn't just install it as is. I used the one from this car on the C2 so I had a few spares and picked the worst one. A little time spent fabricating a plug for the rear wiper opening and some left over Paterrek Preferred black dye i have left over and it looks a little better. I hope to have most of the body needs done soon. New rings for the engine and the rush is on.

Pretty rough real shelf.

Heavy bond cardboard covered with some spare vinyl.

Glued and stapled in palce.

Normally I would spray this for desired finish but the clock is ticking and this isn't a concours car. LOL

Not pretty but better than it was. If this gets built there will be no need for a rear shelf so why bother.

Last edited by cobalt; 02-26-2024 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-26-2024, 01:56 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 266 Posts

I hadn't realized this was a cobalt car, lol. Now I know why you really bought it.
das76 (02-26-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 03:15 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jeff33702
I hadn't realized this was a cobalt car, lol. Now I know why you really bought it.
You know I can't resist cobalt. I knew this car from 15-20 years ago when it was still cobalt with yellow bumpers, rockers and mirrors. It was the sister to Pete Tremper's black with red accent 964 race car. I believe Dan Jacobs built them both. When Matt Munson of Guard contacted me telling me I should buy it I was like WTF. It looked awful with the white green and gold but when I saw it was cobalt I just couldn't say no and the price was too good. Definitely worth more as parts. It has everything you need in a 964 but looks. I saw Pete at tech tactics but he left before I could talk in depth with him.

Just pulled the rear window from the Blue Meanie. That poor car is going in the wrong direction. I didn't like the plug in the rear window so that will go in this car. Hopefully this Wednesday my son will help me after heading to Stable to buy what is needed for club racing.

Then off to Amelia. The 29th is my 8th anniversary. (you do the math) Seems like just yesterday. I'm aging and she isn't, not fair. She is all excited just got a huge promotion. I was hoping to go to Lit or Miami for the event down there but she wanted Werks and Concours. Hopefully the weather will hold out. My son will hopefully make some progress while I am gone this weekend. 🤞
jeff33702 (02-26-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 03:28 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 266 Posts

I thought about driving just to spectate at Werks. I was so tied up in getting my car sorted last year, I didn't take the time to relax and look at everything I heard that the parking lot was as fun as the event but never got to see it.
Old 02-26-2024, 03:33 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jeff33702
I thought about driving just to spectate at Werks. I was so tied up in getting my car sorted last year, I didn't take the time to relax and look at everything I heard that the parking lot was as fun as the event but never got to see it.
If you do contact me so we can meet up. The corral was just as nice with some unique cars and some with unique stories.
Old 02-26-2024, 08:43 PM
brendon_ak
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

Love to see the progress and someone tracking a 964, wish I could do that!! I've followed your other threads too, so cool! Maybe a 986 with my budget. Fortunately dad has a place at Thermal so I get some track time with his toys, not the same as my own though.

Quick Reply: Resurrection of a Sh!t box