Sponsored by:

Resurrection of a Sh!t box

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2024, 09:31 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,305 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott Dunavant
Anthony, here you go. Some fun information from US trade Data....

Looks like it was midnight blue

So it was a color change as well? Wow that is criminal. That would explain the paintwork in the frunk and underside. I will run the vin through Porsche and see what they show.

For those following, this is But its my thread. . i will be working on my turbo and report back regarding the Sbox in a week or 2.
Old 07-01-2024, 10:12 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I actually ran the vin and it does come up as G4 or rubystone. So he wasn't being completely dishonest. The car still has far too much wrong with it.
Old 07-22-2024, 11:56 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

So everything has to happen at once. My bi-annual surgery got moved up to Wednesday cutting off a lot of my time. I will be recouping for a week or two so who knows if I will get this done in time for the glen event. Although the initial round of cleaning removed most of the oil everything needs to be disassembled an hand cleaned piece by piece. Otherwise I suspect it will be seeping from every orifice and cranny where it is resting for a while. I have new parts for the thermostat I will be rebuilding and checking everything over the next few weeks.

Meanwhile the Blue Meanie is on the dyno and will be tuned no doubt while I am under anesthesia. . I will report back as soon as I hear more.

Oil is still present but mostly all cleaned.

Blue Meanie back on the dyno nearly 6 years to the day.🤞

So I did not have the heart to watch Mr RWB live. Although my son had full access to the stores camera system so I actually had a better view from his phone. I find it so incredibly painful to watch but it is Rough World and he isn't sugar coating it. I could do this in my sleep. Although the owners were quite happy and it is what they like. I just don't get the show with no go approach.

The best part was watching him grind away a section of the flair that my friend Pino's guy must have spent an hour plus wet sanding to make perfect. It is so painful to watch live even on camera.

Busy grinding away $150 worth of labor.

The view from my sons desk.

He used every bit of sealer and glue on both cars. My friend Pino will have fun. The black car will be sent back to him to have everything disassembled and all the rough unprotected metal edges cleaned and painted. At least that one won't rot if driven in the rain. Although he will have to cut through all that sealer first.

What I loved best was he rolled the car back and forth a little to show he was settling the suspension but it isn't enough to do much of anything and his total approach to mounting the fenders is measuring off the oversized and absurdly stretched tires.

I suspect he will be retiring soon and the value of these will go through the roof but I personally see no value. I am happy for the new owners they seem pleased and I guess that is all that counts. I will say his Fiber glass was inferior this time around and was told by several he was very rude to most anyone that wasn't directly involved with the project.

Meanwhile I will report back when I am done fixing the Sbox. I hope to reporting on the Blue Meanie soon. To me I would spend for the Meanie at least it will out handle and out perform any RWB but won't have anything other than WB kit and some other stuff thrown in. LOL

Last edited by cobalt; 07-22-2024 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-23-2024, 04:01 AM
misteralz
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Y'know how some fora have 'spoiler' tags, where you can wrap and black out a spoiler so's folk who haven't seen that one episode of whatever tv programme is being discussed don't have it ruined for them? We need 'rwb' tags here, so's those with taste just see a black square, and those who enjoy rubber necking car accidents can click on it and revel in the vehicular equivalent of rotten.com...
Old 07-23-2024, 10:01 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by misteralz
Y'know how some fora have 'spoiler' tags, where you can wrap and black out a spoiler so's folk who haven't seen that one episode of whatever tv programme is being discussed don't have it ruined for them? We need 'rwb' tags here, so's those with taste just see a black square, and those who enjoy rubber necking car accidents can click on it and revel in the vehicular equivalent of rotten.com...
I figured I would share. I always try to comprehend others likes but I still don't get this or Singer when you can have a RUF SCR that will blow the doors off most anything. There are some that love this stuff I don't think I will ever understand. It was funny I had my 3.6T there before the spectacle began and they could not understand why I would have turned down $600k for it when I could have one of his special builds. My son said that there were people waiting hours to see the "artist". As they say "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Another case IMO of the Emperor's new Cloths.

I would take the speedster with the red wheels long before.

Last edited by cobalt; 07-23-2024 at 10:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
misteralz (07-23-2024)
Old 07-24-2024, 08:52 AM
s65e90
Race Car

Received 879 Likes on 593 Posts

Yea, if someone offered me 600k for a 911 turbo, I think I would've cashed the check before the ink dried, but diff strokes....
The following users liked this post:
Baltic964Cab (07-29-2024)
Old 07-24-2024, 09:25 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

One thing I can be guaranteed of is nobody else will have the same color turbo at any of our numerous C&C''s.

Originally Posted by s65e90
Yea, if someone offered me 600k for a 911 turbo, I think I would've cashed the check before the ink dried, but diff strokes....
My turbo has become more than just another car to me. But I become attached to all my cars. I put so much of myself into them. I traded in a spectacular 74 RS IROC clone with a blueprinted engine built by Max Moritz for it. I owned that car after importing it in the 80's for 19 years. I also spent nearly 2 years searching daily for one that wasn't black, white, red or silver. The stipulation my wife put on me at the time. Nearly an impossible task, All that was selling back then and most are black, trust me. The few unique color cars had far too many skeletons to touch. If it wasn't one of 2 in the world with black interior with all original paint, in pristine condition and a very unique and what I consider the best color on the the car hands down I would have considered it more. The woman wanting to drive it with her stiletto heals just had me thinking this car will not be respected and it deserves to be. So that is what clinched it for me.

The other issue is although I can always find a use for the money I don't need it and the only cars I would would rather own today, my turbo might be a worthy deposit but they are all now through the stratosphere. I have other cars I would sell first if needed.

Last edited by cobalt; 07-24-2024 at 09:30 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by cobalt:
2swoosh (07-24-2024), DrJay (08-06-2024), misteralz (07-24-2024), RapidGT (07-25-2024), Spyder_2011 (07-30-2024)
Old 07-25-2024, 10:48 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

So I have my work cut out for me. I see oil in spots I have never seen on an air-cooled engine before. It made its way everyplace. This is after the first 2 days of degreasing and allowing it to sit for a month.

Easy but messy work. I can't do much post surgery but I can spend some time trying to remove some of this oil and start pulling the rocker covers to work on the thermostat. Ipicked up new internals and a new cap. I will measure the new cap but right off the bat it doesn't have the flex the old cap had.

I will report back.
Old 07-25-2024, 12:27 PM
No_snivelling
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 137 Posts

Ouch! Any chance your seals will swell and seal themselves if you run it for a while?
Old 07-26-2024, 09:54 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by No_snivelling
Ouch! Any chance your seals will swell and seal themselves if you run it for a while?
The oil came from the filler cap popping off from expanding too much after the thermostat failed and the heat and pressure pushed oil out going up the climbing hill at Limerock park. It literally puked all over the top of the engine and worked its way down. The engine appears to be fine and had no seal leaks just what came out the filler neck as it climbed the 3 story hill.

I spent some time yesterday cleaning what I can.

Much better now. I will pull the DME and crank the engine today to verify no pressure loss or unwanted sounds. Drain, inspect and measure the amount of oil and then attack the thermostat rebuild. Some parts will come apart the rest is going to have to burn off it is mostly residual at this point. The muffler has some burnt on oil I suspect that was the blackish smoke.

Several washings later and it looks much better. I will need to pull the engine tins as a lot of oil is sitting in the nooks and crannies. The muffler might get blasted and painted but overall we are looking better than expected. I did not measure the new filler cap against the old one but it is clearly less flexible than the one on the car. I suspect these age out over time from the heat.

Will report back when I learn more.

Old 07-26-2024, 12:26 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Quick update. After cranking the engine I am seeing barely 1 bar of pressure but there is pressure. I am used to se it climb till 2 or 3 just by cranking. Oil drain, measurement and inspection etc next.

The new cap is not much different dimensionally but has practically no flex compared to the Sbox one.. I started playing with the old cap on the Sbox and noticed it did tighten but was actually slightly cross threading itself. So it was never really tight. Once I was able to set it properly it just kept turning for 4 revolutions each time popping off like it did at the track that day this time while cold. So when properly seated it will never hold and can be pulled off with a hard tug by hand. I would post video but don't have a way to. This car has a slight issue with the filler tube. Even the new cap if not careful will start to cross thread. However it is far easier to get right with the new cap and once started will turn 3 revolutions until locked down tight. Verified the number of turns with the C2 but found even the C2 cap was 3.5 turns vs 3 to lock down. I tried the Sbox cap on my C2 and it also kept turning without locking down but didn't easily cross thread. So a combination of what appears to be 2 issues.

So I guess something for all of us to look out for. Clearly time and many heat cycles over the cars 144k miles has compromised the nylon and it has stretched out to the point of being NG. The new cap will go on my C2 and the C2 on the Sbox with a hose clamp. The beauty of owning several of the same cars.

More to come.

New cap

Can't load the video but the cap just keeps turning so is NG.

I'm just amazed how many spots got hit with oil.
Old 07-26-2024, 03:01 PM
964Luftballoon
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts

After seeing this. I'm off to buy a new filler cap now. I changed the gasket in mine and it is snug.If I keep turning it does loosen itself (if that made sense). Is there a metal filler cap? Although, it might not be a good idea as it would get hot and likely burn hand when filling oil.
Old 07-26-2024, 06:45 PM
Tomfun
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by 964Luftballoon
After seeing this. I'm off to buy a new filler cap now. I changed the gasket in mine and it is snug.If I keep turning it does loosen itself (if that made sense). Is there a metal filler cap? Although, it might not be a good idea as it would get hot and likely burn hand when filling oil.
928 Motorsports makes a billet cap which I have on my car. My original cap was grungy looking and no amount of scrubbing would fix it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Tomfun:
964Luftballoon (07-26-2024), cobalt (07-26-2024)
Old 07-26-2024, 06:51 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 964Luftballoon
No there is no retrofit I am aware of other than replacing the filler tube itself with a 993 version.

Good news is I drained 6 3/4 quarts of oil out of the system. Roughly three from the tank and 3 3/4 from the case. The oil looks clean but brown so I suspect overheated. There is some typical sludge of metal no fillings on the case drain plug. Doesn't look that bad.

I love quality workmanship like this. Not!! I will now have to spend time fixing what some thought was a quick good Idea.

Looks like a tube of black RTV. Fun removing this.

The thermostat was a typical mess.

Oil

So the darn cover plate was practically welded in place. Started by trying to clean away the grime but too much corrosion. So I started down the aggressive path. I had no interest in removing the entire thermostat and the rubber lines are relatively new.

Cleaned the surface and tried a dent puller.

Ive pulled some pretty large dents with this tool but no luck.

Finally used a chisel and made a small indent. I was able to spin the cover and break up the corrosion. After a few rotations the cover came off. I found the thermostat stuck in the closed position.

Had to pry the old one out. I didn't bother testing it yet but I just decided to replace with new.

Once everything was cleaned I needed assistance to get the now working unit to allow me to reinstall the circlip.

Enough for one day.

The following 4 users liked this post by cobalt:
Ken D (07-27-2024), misteralz (07-27-2024), No_snivelling (07-28-2024), Spyder_2011 (07-30-2024)
Old 07-29-2024, 11:34 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

So the RTV was a PITA to remove. I decided only to remove what was needed. After all Sbox. The rear tabs were broken so I wire brushed the plastic to clean it. Then Prep sol and 2 stage Devcon epoxy. It is like one piece now although since the screw was already there i reused it to be sure. Who knows what happens in racing?

I did test the thermostat which appears to be working. It seems the casing has worn over time causing it to bind. The new unit moves in and out freely.

After placing in boiling water it clearly did its job.

Off to check the cooler fan and try to see if I can get some oil pressure. If so I will start it and let it run. Maybe it will burn off the residual so I can move onto the Blue Meanie.🤞

Quick Reply: Resurrection of a Sh!t box