Sponsored by:

964 Tip to Manual Conversion underway

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2021, 11:40 AM
Scott Dunavant
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 125 Posts
Default 964 Tip to Manual Conversion underway

I have a tip to manual conversion going on today. Doing the work myself in my friend's shop. The part's list doesn't stop as many steps are not listed on sites.
I was lucky to find a Like new 5 speed G5005 Non locking Transmission pulled in 1998. Using the RS flywheel and Steve Wong chip. Throttle body was easy. Shifter was straight forward. Now looking at grounding the starter relay. I believe the Control unit selector Lever Lock R24 is to be removed and bypassed. Hopefully nearing the finish line soon. FYI, not an expert here.

The following 3 users liked this post by Scott Dunavant:
Deserion (05-06-2021), Hatzenbach (05-06-2021), power_up (05-06-2021)
Old 05-06-2021, 04:03 PM
tjb616
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts

Love to see it!
Old 05-07-2021, 01:02 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

You've already answered yes, but you may find some of this blog useful:
https://www.ninemeister.com/porsche-...s-it-worth-it/

Old 05-09-2021, 11:20 PM
Scott Dunavant
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 125 Posts

Thanks NineMeister! I'm a huge fan of your work. I did review that list. Got the car up and running on Friday. She was a blast to drive. Every step was highly worth it. The RS Clutch is perfect. Tight and precise. Allows the engine to spin fast---redline faster, Fabspeed cat Delete, 2nd Muffler bypass. Both worth it. I was told to install the Steve Wong Chip, That also helped. Idles perfect with increased HP. My last minute parts list was the Chip, Speed sensor bracket, Manual Throttle Body, plus a small list of incorrect parts that were shipped. I did follow the wiring and figured the starter relay just needs a full time ground on the Yellow and brown Wire. Then pull the Control Unit selector Lock Relay R24.
Only 54k True miles on this once virgin Tiptronic. The conversion is a big job. A professional shop needs to do the work as a full lift is needed raising and lowering the car plenty of times. I also replaced my braking system, Struts, plus long list of everything. Tomorrow I'm going to look at that Sway bar as I think a manual sway bar is needed, permanently wire the starter relay, and lower the car slightly more. I don't have the Full costs in front of me as other parts have been constantly ordered in the last 6 months. I wouldn't be surprised if someone had $17,000 wrapped up in a 5 speed conversion and $25,000 in a 6 speed conversion. Gauges, Linkages, upgrades, etc.. Oh yeah and the car has so much torque she ripped the 30 year old transmission mounts out. Add that to the list.

Quick Reply: 964 Tip to Manual Conversion underway