Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HDA
I shared on my IG
Thank you for sharing it!
Old 04-08-2021, 02:42 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 217 Posts

The burgundy interior with white piping is not common. You should make sure you mention that in any posting. You might also post the VIN and engine numbers. Contact Rennlist Admin and see if you can get it posted across the forum pages. Similar thoughts with Pelican parts and maybe even the PCA website. Maybe you can make the car too hot for others to take it.

Last edited by jpoint; 04-08-2021 at 02:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
desert_designer (04-11-2021)
Old 04-08-2021, 03:26 PM
tfitch03
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This sucks!! Hope they find your car.

Removing your DME relay as a free way to immobilize the car.
Old 04-08-2021, 03:46 PM
omg516
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This sucks. Last year I was followed home in the 964 without me realizing it, only to find a guy standing outside my open garage checking out the car when I went outside a few minutes later. He claimed to want to buy it off of me, but it made me pretty uneasy having that interaction at my home.
Old 04-08-2021, 10:31 PM
Paolo1
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Polo socks. Adidas Gazelles? Or Adidas Broomfields? North Face? Fleece surgical gloves and very pale skin for the sunshine of AZ. Do you get the sense that LE is putting effort into this? I have got to imagine the homes in a 1/8 mile perimeter would have street facing cameras that could provide better images. Really best of luck here. The fact that he had a key in my view is the key to solving this. There has got to be a limited universe of people you handed your key to in the past 4.5 yrs. eager to see this break open
Old 04-09-2021, 11:40 AM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 232 Posts

Looks like the thief has eyeglasses?
Old 04-09-2021, 12:03 PM
velocitylover
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

So, sorry to hear this and cannot imagine what this would feel like.
This sure looks like someone well familiar with this type of vehicle and someone who clearly knew he will be leaving soon driving the car (as if the key was surely going to work) - just like others I think someone was able to make a duplicate of your key and used it to steal the car.
You would think that the traffic cameras in the area would pick up a white 964 quite easily...
Old 04-09-2021, 02:15 PM
lbpa18
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

Im right handed. If I walked up to a car that I wanted to open with a key, and do it without any delay, I would use my right hand. This guy opened with a key in his left hand, and then had to switch the key into the other hand (presumably) to then open the door with the left hand. Most cars in the US, the ignition is on the right side of the steering wheel. So the key would have been transferred to the right hand after unlocking it to facilitate starting this generic car, only to realize once inside that the ignition is on the left. The difference would be if the perp was familiar with the idiosyncrasy of the Porsche with the ignition on the left. A knowledgeable person would unlock with left, keep the key in the left hand, and insert into ignition as he climbed in while the right hand was selecting reverse with the stick shift and releasing the parking brake if set. You apparently have a video of this happening so you should be able to see the dance with the key. If all this happened with the left hand, I would lean toward someone with knowledge of Porsches and who might have had a copy of your key. That points strongly toward a Porsche shop inside job. I would take these photos to the dealer you used. If the perp works there they will likely recognize him. I would also tell them you are going to go crazy on social media about what happened to you right after you had your car in their dealership for service. Personally, I presume most metro police are understaffed investigating murders to worry about a single car theft. Im serious about a large reward posted on flyers posted in the area. Money talks.
Old 04-10-2021, 08:42 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I feel your pain. This looks ominously similar to the theft of my car. I had a low mile RS America stolen right out in front of my office,2013. 30’ from the front door of a fully occupied office midtown Phoenix.It was more than one guy, one parked a van in front of the car and came in and distracted my receptionist while the other boosted the car. They had cased the place, I think they were actually after my partners SC, I hadn’t driven my car in months, just the luck of the draw. These cars are stolen and stripped, at the time there were 3 964 stolen the same month, one from a cop. Thru a lot of sleuthing in the used car sections of rennlist, pelican and Craigslist I recognized stolen parts for sale, it was a long story about connecting the dots. They took the car up north to a rental storage unit and started cutting it up in the unit. I got it back the salvage after the guy was arrested, he went to jail 9 years, repeat offender, but he may be our now. I was super pissed and was going to run this bastard down no matter the effort, it was a special car for me, if I had to do it again I’d make my best case with the insurance company and move on.

I resisted putting this out there but the thieves already know. All you have to do is force the lock tumbles over and turn the lock in the barrel, the process of turning the door lock disengages the alarm and mobilizer. It’s about the stupidest design you can imagine. The door locks are the weak link, DO NOT RELY ON THE STOCK SYSTEM!, upgrade to the remote lock system by bergville and disconnect the alarm disable on the door tumblers. On my car they used a slide hammer to pop the passenger lock out, then you can turn the internal mechanism with a screwdriver, that turns off the alarm and immobilizer, and then the same for the ignition lock. These aren’t sophisticated masterminds, they just know what to break first.

I’ll see if I can pull together info I have and send you a pm....

The following 3 users liked this post by J richard:
9SIX4-C4 (04-12-2021), desert_designer (04-11-2021), Gmanscott (04-13-2021)
Old 04-10-2021, 10:45 PM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 232 Posts

This reinforces the fact that we should insure our toys appropriately these thieves are really getting brazen if they want it they can get it even from inside your garage so up the replacement value!
Old 04-11-2021, 02:16 AM
desert_designer
Track Day

Originally Posted by 2swoosh
one effective and cheap theft deterrent is the installation of a Momo removable steering wheel but not bulletproof if they tow it. I hope you recover your car back or had it properly insured with an appropriate replacement value.
that is a great idea....will have to do that on my next one, if I can find a 964 ever again.
Old 04-11-2021, 02:17 AM
desert_designer
Track Day

That is a great idea! Thank you.
Old 04-11-2021, 01:37 PM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

As I have zero mechanical skills I need to find someone to install the proper kill switch.

Will not need the tread to the outside as I do not race the car.

This was a great writeup that I saw years ago.

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-1989...right-way.html

Old 04-11-2021, 01:39 PM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by desert_designer
that is a great idea....will have to do that on my next one, if I can find a 964 ever again.
Updating insurance values on a regular basis will replace the financial loss but agree with the above ..... if I lose my 964 I will not be able to find a similar replacement.
The following 2 users liked this post by canuck964:
911Jetta (04-12-2021), desert_designer (04-12-2021)
Old 04-11-2021, 05:19 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Email Sent...

Quick Reply: STOLEN - Please be on the lookout!