Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backdate no more

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2021 | 04:20 PM
FlyingDutchman
Rennlist Member

Default Backdate no more

In 2016 I acquired a Guards red 89 C4 with 90k miles with a rather oil leaking engine. It drove fine, bodywork was in good condition but it needed some work. I really liked what Singer was doing with their 964 backdates and decided to do a full restoration and do a “budget” backdate to a 73 RS like car. I started stripping the car, removing the front fenders, bumpers, hood, side skirts and stripping the interior. I also cut out the sunroof and bought a CF roof panel. I sold the bumpers, hood and side skirts and acquired 73 RS bumpers and F model steel fenders. I dropped the engine and started buying parts, many parts.Then life happened in the beginning of 2017, my ex-wife became ill and could no longer take care of our kids and I became basically a single dad with the kids spending 99% of time with me. The project stalled as I did no longer have

time to work on it.

Last spring life happened again as my son was diagnosed with cancer and I had lost my job right before that. I spent most of 2020 taking care of him going in and out of the hospital with him for his treatments, fortunately we have a great hospital in the area (Stanford) and they took great care of my son. He is in remission and recovering well.

As I was not working during this time it meant I got some time again to work on my car. I continued stripping and cleaning it, I removed the rear tail light housings. I got the front and rear suspension bushings and bearings taken care of by Elephant racing and bought more parts! 😉 I started to rethink the whole backdate idea, it seems everyone and their mother is doing backdates and it is no longer unique. When I saw Magnus Walker’s 964, I decided to ditch the backdate plan and keep the 964 body mostly stock with some of the mods of Magnus his 964. I really like to incorporated round tail lights, the rain gutter delete and the chrome trim. Not too fond of the louvres in the fenders though and the jury is still out on the rear wing.

That is where it is at today, I can’t seem decide whether to keep the original guards red or to change the color (Olive green, Irish green, gulf blue). If I do decide to change the color, I want the whole car to be painted inside and out and the thought of that is rather daunting. Keeping it Guards red would be much easier as that saves me from prepping and painting the inside of the frunk and trunk, chassis and inside the fenders etc. I was planning to the painting myself although I have no experience painting cars, still undecided on that one. I have found a shop who can do the integrated round tail light housings for me in steel, not cheap though as it is all custom work.

​​​​​​​

Old 03-12-2021 | 05:38 PM
Ubipa
Rennlist Member

You’ve already gone past the point of no return. I think you are looking for some encouragement, as would I, if I was at that same state.

Dig deep and go all the way! Get that color you so want 🙂
Old 03-12-2021 | 06:07 PM
BGMS_964
Intermediate

Wow. Sounds like you've had a rough few years. I'm sending positive thoughts your way and hoping that things get better for you and your family going forward.

Regarding the paint. I would be very cautious. Many years ago I repainted my wife's custom Dodge van. It remains the only vehicle I've ever painted. While it didn't turn out terribly, it was nowhere near a professional quality job. I'm sure you're aware that we have some valuable cars that keep rising in value. I think you risk negating a good bit of that unless you are sure you can do a top notch job. Personally I would stay with the current color but that comes from someone with a the same color 964.

You might consider finding a reputable paint shop who would be willing to work with you and advise you as you proceed. You could continue stripping the car and take care of some of the prep work and then turn it over to them for a professional quality paint application. Or perhaps take a few auto body classes at a local community college. You will gain some knowledge, get some practice and probably get to use their facilities when the time comes for paint.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 03-12-2021 | 06:15 PM
klokwerk
Racer

First, about your son...."He is in remission and recovering well."
Great news and I can't imagine going through that along with all of the other crazy stuff that's been going on this last year!

Second, set a target, make a plan, and then commit. I like guards red. I'd stick with it but that's me. Your car, your rules right?
Good luck!
Old 03-12-2021 | 11:05 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

First and foremost very glad to hear that your son is in remission and doing better. Having a healthy family is all you really need in life, the rest is just icing.

Now for the car, I’m imagining what Magnus created in olive green and can’t help but drool. That would seriously look amazing. Since your asking a bunch of Porsche junkies for advice I say go for the full respray. Take your time, work on it a section at a time and when the body is prepped and ready for paint find a good paint shop that will handle the finish. Not only will you appreciate the end result more, but I also think it will make the car that much more valuable in the end.....not that that matters.

Good luck either way and definitely post updates as you make progress.
Old 03-13-2021 | 01:36 AM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

Have you seen Magnus's car up close? There is a TON of custom metalwork on that car. Pretty much every panel has been subtly altered.
Old 03-13-2021 | 08:21 AM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

I'll keep her red and focus more resources on the mechanical side. Godspeed to the fam.
Old 03-13-2021 | 10:49 AM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

I painted my own car. It was painted blue over the ordinal color just the exterior so that’s all I had to be concerned with as I went back to my cars factory color. I think I put in about 250 hours hand wet sanding prepping and painting more wet sanding more painting you get the drift. I cannot imagine how long it would have taken to do the whole tub.😳
Would I ever do so again for love yes for pay no way

Quick Reply: Backdate no more