From Germany with love - 964 Widebody Turbo Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 08:44 AM
Undutched
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Default From Germany with love - 964 Widebody Turbo Build

Aloha-he!

I am on some other forums, but this seems the liveliest of them, hence I'd like to share my project and hopefully get some help from everyone.
I have already made some decisions I regret during this build, but here it goes nonetheless.

Thanks to Raceboy, Edelweiss, Turbokraft, Fast Forward for the help so far!

The base:

I am coming from the Japanese (laugh if you will) scene and had all the JDM toys, the last being a fully built Skyline GT-R with roughly 650HP.
Sadly, most of the time you don't get much credibility and tuner support isn't so great here in Germany.

With all the stuff going on around RWB and having had 2 Porsche already (911 SC and a 993). I was actually set on buying a 997TT and doing the AMS Kit. I moved away from it, because it would simply be insanely fast, but not really track-able and would make me look like a gangster-foreign-mafia-youngin'. Hence I moved away from that.

1990 C2 Coupe with XXX miles on it.
I bought the car with a blown transmission and non-functioning motor.
In about 1 hour I got the car running and drove the 400km home
Ok the clutch was still slipping, but there where just minor things and a friend of mine and I got it working rather quick.

I was looking for a car, that wasn't in good shape, as I would want to completely rebuild it.

Plan: Turbo widebody, without those damn rivets! plus Turbo Build!

So What I have so far:

VEMS PaP with all the goodies from Raceboy
LN Engineering Cylinders
JE Pistons (to come)
4.0l GT3 RS crank
Gt3 RSR oil-pump

plus all the other stuff which is yet to be decided. The engine is going to the builder this week and will be checked to see what can be reused and what needs to be replaced. I do have a budget

anyways:

pics of the ongoing build, but not really in order, sorry!!! no auto resizing?

VEMS PaP!

This guy was a real pain!!!

For ****s and giggles!

gt3 RSR pump

gt3 4.0 crank

lots of stuff to do

LN Cylinders

KW Clubsport with topmounts

installed

When I picked him up!
Old 12-01-2014, 09:02 AM
KungFuRooster
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks pretty awesome - where in Germany are you located?
Old 12-01-2014, 10:28 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,287 Likes on 1,352 Posts

You may want to check out my widebody build on a 90. There are a lot of little annoying differences between the 90's and later cars that are not compatible. If you plan on using factory rockers and other parts you will wish you had a newer body but it is doable albeit a lot of work. Also sourcing 964 turbo parts is a lot less work than using 930 parts that are similar. If there is anything I can help you with please let me know I have been working on mine for several months and I am almost at the point I have all the little bits and pieces sorted.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:31 PM
timtim
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Moin,

wo schraubst Du denn in Oldenburg? Ich bin eigentlich aus Brake, lebe aber schon viele Jahre an der Ostsee - aber bin immer mal wieder bei meinen Eltern in Brake.
Wer baut denn den Motor? Kennst Du das Elferteam? Ist auch / genau wie Rennlist gespickt mit Infizierten und Verrückten.

Alles Gute für den Umbau, viel Spaß, ich guck Dir gerne über die Schulter... LG Tim (mit nem leichten C2 aber Standard-Trekkermotor)
Old 12-01-2014, 05:46 PM
Igaffz
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Undutched, I had massive problems with the nut at the back of the oil filter also, I ended up removing the whole lot from the car and cracking off the nut on the garage floor.

Ian
Old 12-01-2014, 06:30 PM
JV911
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Undutched
VEMS PaP with all the goodies from Raceboy
LN Engineering Cylinders
JE Pistons (to come)
4.0l GT3 RS crank
Gt3 RSR oil-pump
YES YES YES - subscribed!

I assume it will be ~3.8 litre and some Pauter or even Pankl rods are going in?

A beast like this deserves some individual throttle bodies too
Old 12-01-2014, 07:48 PM
vagluv
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would love to eventually do something crazy like this with my engine. Will that crank just require the fully adjustable engine management to function? Do you have a part number on the crank?
Old 12-01-2014, 10:03 PM
Duck
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool, another going down the VEMS route. Are you going with direct ignition?
Old 12-02-2014, 03:48 AM
Undutched
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JV911
YES YES YES - subscribed!

I assume it will be ~3.8 litre and some Pauter or even Pankl rods are going in?

A beast like this deserves some individual throttle bodies too
ITB's maybe down the line, not at the start! Pankl rods, but they have to be custom made.

Originally Posted by Duck
Cool, another going down the VEMS route. Are you going with direct ignition?
One reason I choose the VEMS, plus that I could get it in a plug-and-play option.

Originally Posted by vagluv
I would love to eventually do something crazy like this with my engine. Will that crank just require the fully adjustable engine management to function? Do you have a part number on the crank?
You dont need the ECU for it to function, but it wont fit without the RSR (or similar) oil pump. Then custom rods and pistons for it to fit
Also, the stand-alone is not as expensive as taking the whole engine apart

Originally Posted by Igaffz
Hi Undutched, I had massive problems with the nut at the back of the oil filter also, I ended up removing the whole lot from the car and cracking off the nut on the garage floor.
Ian
I had the car on just over floor height on the lift. I put my legs inside the wheel well and tried until after some hot tea and bickering on my side, it worked

Originally Posted by timtim
Moin,

wo schraubst Du denn in Oldenburg? Ich bin eigentlich aus Brake, lebe aber schon viele Jahre an der Ostsee - aber bin immer mal wieder bei meinen Eltern in Brake.
Wer baut denn den Motor? Kennst Du das Elferteam? Ist auch / genau wie Rennlist gespickt mit Infizierten und Verrückten.

Alles Gute für den Umbau, viel Spaß, ich guck Dir gerne über die Schulter... LG Tim (mit nem leichten C2 aber Standard-Trekkermotor)
Moin Moin!
die deutschen Foren sind alle ziemlich langweilig was sowas angeht und keiner kann wirklich weiterhelfen, ausser es geht um Serienteile/Reperaturen.

Edelweiss in Essen wird den Motor bauen. Ich schraube etwas südlich von Oldenburg in einer kleinen kalten Scheune
Old 12-02-2014, 04:39 AM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 12-02-2014, 04:40 AM
Undutched
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
You may want to check out my widebody build on a 90. There are a lot of little annoying differences between the 90's and later cars that are not compatible. If you plan on using factory rockers and other parts you will wish you had a newer body but it is doable albeit a lot of work. Also sourcing 964 turbo parts is a lot less work than using 930 parts that are similar. If there is anything I can help you with please let me know I have been working on mine for several months and I am almost at the point I have all the little bits and pieces sorted.
Also, that is a really good tip! I had looked at many 930 parts so far, because they are easier to source!
Old 12-02-2014, 04:42 AM
Raven 666
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 53 Posts

This looks like a fun build ...........Subscribed
Old 12-04-2014, 04:22 AM
Undutched
Rennlist Member

Hi guys,

so finally today the engine is being picked up and I'm clearing my garage of parts to afford the engine build, or some better parts for it.

I am really nervous and hope the car will be ready by mid March to have some time to drive before going to the Nordschleife.
I want to clear out the interior. Are there any suggestions for the interior carpet? I want to get rid of it and a lighter version, but all I can find are sets that cost 1,000$

Attached: Carbon-Aramid front bumper (like RWB) in Turbo width and the rear wing with CF center blade. Will switch for banana, whenever I can afford it
Attached Images   
Old 12-04-2014, 07:17 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,287 Likes on 1,352 Posts

In some respect we are building similar cars with similar goals and deadlines.

I found the easiest but not the healthiest way to remove the glue after pulling up the sound deadening was to use Zylene straight from the can. I soaked a rag with the stuff and placed it on top of the area to be cleaned and allowed it to sit for a while. Once it had a chance to penetrate the glue just rolled off in a ball of adhesive. Not the fun part of the project by any means.

Use proper safety equipment and work in a well ventilated area.

Also I found using perlon is by far the cheapest. My set should be arriving next week and from what I have been told is the easiest to work with, cuts clean and no frayed edges. I am on a budget and everything becomes a compromise so long as it looks decent I am happy and after all it is a track car I am building. There is a place here in the US that will make you RS kits cheap Properly cut and seemed to your model year car. It is called Original Fit. I have read mixed reviews but the sets I have seen have all been very nice at 25% of what others charge. I have no idea if he will ship outside the US but it may be worth a try. I can forward you his number if you are interested he does not have a website. Old school word or moth type business.

You have a long road ahead of you but it will be worth it in the end.

I have to admit finding 964 wide body parts is tough. It will save you a lot of work in the end. I have spent numerous hours fabricating brackets and other parts that are specific to the 964. I mistakenly sold off my fenders and parts not realizing this until later. If you decide to go the 930 route do not sell or toss anything that needs replacing from the C2. It may hurt the pocket but reusing tabs and pieces from the fenders etc will save you a lot of man hours. Of course having a factory wide body available to me does help to modify the 930 parts to make them work. You will also find that Porsche made some significant little annoying changes to the 1991 and on tubs to accommodate the changes for the turbo body. If you read my thread you will find stuff like the tabs that hold the rockers on line up (except for the extra tab on the wide body) but the turbo rockers use a larger tab that fits into the recess on all the 91 and up models but need to be ground down on the 89-90's. A lot of wasted time especially if you paint the parts first like I did.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:48 AM
Undutched
Rennlist Member

Anthony,

thank you for the detailed descriptions. I have looked at your thread several times, but had not looked to far into the body, until I actually had the engine removed.

I will look into factory 964 parts. I do have a shop to do bodywork. They have done so on my 993, but I would also prefer more or less a factory finish as I have time to look around.

The problem with the carpet won't be the shipping but the VAT and customs, amounting to 19+10+5%

Quick Reply: From Germany with love - 964 Widebody Turbo Build