Sponsored by:

My long overdue track car thread. Part II resurrection of the Blue Meanie

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2024, 08:45 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,170 Likes on 1,299 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyder_2011
That is ridiculously tight in there. I love the attention to detail and weld work.

When you’re adding these lines into the bay are you having to partially drop the engine every time?
It is actually quite spacious. Although there are some things we did not plan for that are making some things a little more difficult than expected. Lesson learned for the next build.🤣 The plumbing is easy enough to access but one T clamp is giving us a hard time so we have to use a worm type. Also we did not consider the oil filter so the right charge pipe has to be removed (which is a 10 min job) to remove the oil filter. I do like that I can easily reach inside to adjust the MCS suspension unlike the 993 or 964 turbo which requires you to remove the IC each time. MM of space but shouldn't be a problem especially with the solid bushings all around.

As we used to say in the foundry business. "Not much but good." I am hoping 2024 will be the year my big projects are completed. Today the **** box gets put back into the to do list. Expect an update on that thread soon. Yesterday I helped my friend fit the over 7 foot long 4 heim joint shift linkage in the Dauer 962 homologation car. Hopefully I will have more progress on the **** Box project and should be getting much closer to completing this and then I can't wait to see what this produces on the dyno. Unfortunately I can't post any 962 photos well maybe the wheel which is cool in itself.

Last edited by cobalt; 02-07-2024 at 08:47 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by cobalt:
misteralz (02-07-2024), Spyder_2011 (02-07-2024)
Old 07-22-2024, 11:28 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

So after 6 long years nearly to the day we have the Blue Meanie on the dyno. As always timing is impeccably bad. I have my bi-annual surgery coming up Wednesday and of course that is the day they have planned for the tuning. I always try to preempt and schedule things so I can be there but like my gunite pool they shot the day of my surgery it looks like I will be missing the first pulls on the dyno.

All I can say is keep watching who knows what will transpire.

🤞 Lets hope this works according to the plans. So far she idles beautifully without any tuning. How far do we think the flames will shoot?

Meanwhile I start on the Sh!tbox cleaning project today. Looks like round 1 removed most of the oil. Although everything has to be removed and gone over.

The following 2 users liked this post by cobalt:
ChuckG (07-23-2024), klokwerk (07-23-2024)
Old 07-22-2024, 11:45 AM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 276 Posts

Looking mean from that angle!
Old 07-22-2024, 12:02 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jeff33702
Looking mean from that angle!
I think angry will better describe it. I guess we will see how close to the 600RWHP we achieve and at what boost?
Old 07-24-2024, 12:36 PM
Matt Andrews
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I think angry will better describe it. I guess we will see how close to the 600RWHP we achieve and at what boost?
what will it weigh again? that's bonkers power in a wheelbase that size. will be a hoot to drive...
Old 07-25-2024, 09:22 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Andrews
what will it weigh again? that's bonkers power in a wheelbase that size. will be a hoot to drive...
I added another project to the list. I am sourcing a BMW programmable ABS unit. I decided it was to dangerous to use the stock 3 channel and I want programability so that will add more time before it goes on the scales and an alignment. I suspect it will be around 2650 pounds maybe a little more. Although I might consider adding ballast up front for better balance. The turbos and I/C add weight to the back end so I am not sure how the balance will be. I don't think adding a little weight will slow this monster down much. Although I will play with the ABS and it will take some time to adjust the MCS 3 WR suspension. It would be nice to have at least one shake out this year so I can make adjustments over the winter.

On another front. I am ready to shoot myself. I was in a rush to pull the rear glass with the wiper hole out and replace it with the solid glass from my Sh!tbox project. I didn't realize at the time how poor the quality of factory seals have become. I hastily cut the 10 year old rear seal and removed just the glass until yesterday. This is now the second rear window install fail and the third seal I had to get to try to get a fairly decent one. When I installed the factory seal on the Sbox a few months back I had to coerce it to fit. I didn't care how it looked so long as it sealed and it fought me every step. Same problem I am having with this car. The new seals are absolute garbage. The seams are poorly made and ground as the original and 10 year old seal had a perfect seam. Then the new seals no longer have the holes for the wiring pre formed. These were an oval opening to get the connector through. Now you have to cut in the holes which is nearly impossible to do without doing some damage. The other huge problem is the new seal is about 3/4-1" shorter than the originals. I installed so many of these in the past I can't recall how many but the new seals don't work. The last seal of 10 years ago was easy first go sat perfectly today not a chance.

I tried 3 times to get this to lay properly. I am not happy and will need to push and glue it to stay but I want this car too look better than the Sbox. I think I am going to buy a cheap aftermarket seal to see how it compares. I suspect it will be the identical seal. Porsche QC has gone to the toilet. Nearly most parts I get these days are no better than the aftermarket units and many appear to be the aftermarket units with a label affixed to the box.

So I have to revisit this but I wanted a rear glass in the car for the dyno videos I will fix it later but what a royal PITA. Only one corner is giving me a hard time but it is significant.

First try the right side wouldn't sit flush. Now the left. There seems to be no way to get these perfect without gluing the seal to the windshield and the tub to make a seal. I will see how the aftermarket seals compare.
Old 07-25-2024, 11:16 AM
Scott Dunavant
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 131 Posts

Anthony, this seal looks like it has a cut out for the metal strip. A early seal won't work. I have a G-body glass and 964 glass. The 964 rear seal didn't work with the early glass. The aftermarket 964 seal was a huge disappointment. Used seals from Autobahn might be the way to go. We always installed used seals or upgraded to 993 glass. After my recent multiple attempts with the rope seal. I just ordered the 993 RS glass. no wiper, no defrost and used the 993 third brake light. The 993 glass and seals are a perfect upgrade. add $$$
No worries of leaks, not that the car will be driven in rain.
BTW I have a 964 rear glass seal if you want it. + early aftermarket rear glass, + 964 rear glass if you want any of it. I'm cleaning out storage.
Old 07-26-2024, 10:09 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I might take you up on that. The seal is for the 964 it is just the lighting. The raised rubber is present that is supposed to mimic the metal strip it is just it rolling over that makes it look like the metal strip belongs. I have repalced many 964/ G-body and 993 glasses over the years and up until post Covid the seals were a perfect easy install. The latest from Porsche is inferior low quality junk. I usually distrust used seals as they get torn or damaged and also shrink over time but this is criminal what I am seeing. They are scamming us into buying these parts for top dollar. I want this car too look period correct so I am not really interested in using the older G-body seals and glasses or the 993 style. The only reason I removed this glass was to replace it with one without the wiper hole I pulled from the SH!tBox. Something I now regret doing. I am becoming disenchanted with the classic dept. and the dealerships themselves. The parts guy had the nerve to ask me "did I ever think that the quality isn't what it used to be and just live with it" WTF. Event he quality of the rubber itself feels more plastic than rubber compare to the older seals I have.
Old 07-26-2024, 10:28 AM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

Received 437 Likes on 249 Posts

I too am fighting with low quality seals.
Supposedly my parts guy has escalated my complaint to Porsche NA (not that they've responded to him).
Maybe if others do the same someone will eventually notice. I used to have connections with Porsche's Classic department but unfortunately they've moved on to greener pastures.
Old 07-26-2024, 10:45 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spartansix
I too am fighting with low quality seals.
Supposedly my parts guy has escalated my complaint to Porsche NA (not that they've responded to him).
Maybe if others do the same someone will eventually notice. I used to have connections with Porsche's Classic department but unfortunately they've moved on to greener pastures.
I agree. We need to get the ear of the people in charge. My son goes to classic training again later this month in CA. I am going to ask him to see who might listen if the instructor is willing to hear. My friend Pino is going bonkers with seals as well. He has been working on these for decades. I can't imagine doing this for a living it is just getting more and more frustrating.
Old 07-26-2024, 05:25 PM
28gts
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What are the exact part numbers of the seals in question?

I can get the information to the right people in Stuttgart. Whether they are able to make changes to the parts is another question, be we can try.

Best regards from Germany
Tim
The following 2 users liked this post by 28gts:
Ken D (07-26-2024), Turbo Jonny (07-31-2024)
Old 07-27-2024, 04:47 AM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

Received 437 Likes on 249 Posts

I've ordered four different versions of 965 505 143 01 (the big rubber strip at between the bumper and the hood/fenders) from different warehouses and all of them have damage on the extreme corners where they were clearly torn out of the mold.
Old versions have nice clean corners.
Old 07-27-2024, 09:09 AM
Paolo1
Burning Brakes

Received 110 Likes on 76 Posts

I bought some genuine Porsche front seat belts a few years ago and just recently installed them. I swear the webbing feels thinner than original but I thought how could that be possible they are genuine Porsche parts
Old 07-28-2024, 03:54 AM
koenig_roland
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 82 Posts

Do you have further details for the upgrade to the (or a special) BMW ABS? Do you have numbers i can search with? Any ideas, how to wire such an upgrade to the 964 loom? Can the sensors stay or would there be also an upgrade necessary?!
Old 07-29-2024, 10:40 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 28gts
What are the exact part numbers of the seals in question?

I can get the information to the right people in Stuttgart. Whether they are able to make changes to the parts is another question, be we can try.

Best regards from Germany
Tim
Tim,

Thanks for the offer.

The 2 primary seals I am having issues with are the rear window especially P/N 96454522500 and the front windshield seal P/N 96454122500. We are also having issues with the door seals they no longer offer and have superseded with the older G-body seals which don't close properly but do work.

Originally Posted by koenig_roland
Do you have further details for the upgrade to the (or a special) BMW ABS? Do you have numbers i can search with? Any ideas, how to wire such an upgrade to the 964 loom? Can the sensors stay or would there be also an upgrade necessary?!
I am still in the research stages. I am a bit laid up from my surgery but will report back as soon as I know more. I do know I can use the OE sensors and tone rings. For now that is all I can share.

Quick Reply: My long overdue track car thread. Part II resurrection of the Blue Meanie