Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My long overdue track car thread. Part II resurrection of the Blue Meanie

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2023, 08:40 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,170 Likes on 1,299 Posts

@Igooz Hard to see from that angle but the oil pumps scavenge point is roughly 2.5" lower than the oil return point and drain tanks which are modified 996 tanks. The return point is roughly 1" lower than the return points from the cylinder heads. This is where the 993TT oil returns from the turbos so I have to assume it is a safe approach. Drilling the case made me nervous. So in theory the pump should draw oil and gravity does the rest. Yes the dimples are to prevent the oil from backfilling into the turbos when the engine is shut down.

The wiring is taking way too long but when only a few hours a week are put into it, it takes too long.

I know this will not be finished by the first event so I was hoping to get the **** Box up and running. After waiting months for parts the box arrived yesterday and sadly it was damaged in freight and my guides didn't make it. So now I have to wait for replacements.

The Aasco springs and Ti retainers are nice. I went with TRW vs OE valves the price delta was huge. Everything should do what is needed until I break this down again. Eventually the **** box will become my next street RS project which I will approach very differently and rely on less people for help.

The following users liked this post:
Igooz (04-20-2023)
Old 04-20-2023, 10:08 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 279 Posts

Thank you. I may start a new thread on the 965 forum regarding Scavenge pump, Turbo oil drain tanks, heights, and “heights” for oil drain back into the turbo…
Old 04-20-2023, 11:24 AM
928 GT R
Rennlist Member

Received 5,529 Likes on 2,126 Posts

Anthony,
Having newly returned to the 964 circle, I have been catching up on threads and immersing myself in reading all things 964. My hat is off to you for all you contribute to this forum as well as the 928 forum and quite frankly, I'm blown away by your willingness to share your knowledge, curiosity and experience with us.
Congratulations on getting this build so close to completion and here's to seeing it on the Road and Track!
Thank you!
Dave
Old 04-21-2023, 09:40 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 928 GT R
Anthony,
Having newly returned to the 964 circle, I have been catching up on threads and immersing myself in reading all things 964. My hat is off to you for all you contribute to this forum as well as the 928 forum and quite frankly, I'm blown away by your willingness to share your knowledge, curiosity and experience with us.
Congratulations on getting this build so close to completion and here's to seeing it on the Road and Track!
Thank you!
Dave

Dave,

I have to admit it is a great surprise to have you join us here in 964 land. I have learned so much from you and the wonderful crew over on the 928 forums. After all, this is what rennlist is all about and why I hang out here. I am always learning something new and sharing my knowledge hopefully has helped others the way you guys help me with my 928.

Believe you me I am hoping to see this meanie running soon as well. I love my 964's but over the past 20 years on track they have gone from king of the hill to the slow guys in the back. I never tire of them in any form but this should be an amazing ride when done.
928 GT R (07-28-2024)
Old 04-22-2023, 11:03 PM
Scott Dunavant
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 131 Posts

I love Anthony's intro to this thread. We'll have to meet some day soon!
Old 09-13-2023, 10:05 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I have little time for this project with all the others I have going on, but it is slowly coming together. George at Apex has been slowly working on the wiring harness and the car is getting closer to completion. It has taken far too long but with only a few hours every so many weeks into it things take time.

Finally on the ground instead of up on the lift.

Still a few more connections to be completed and then it goes into the car. I should have pulled everything and sent it out for Jet hot coating while waiting but I never expected the harness to be a year long project.

It is more than I asked for but at this point isn't worth rushing. I will have it ready for next season.

There are a number of spare wires in case we need to add things later and we also included all the wheel sensors to run through the ecu so if we notice excessive wheel slip on any one corner it will adjust the throttle to help. With all this power a little traction control might come in handy. We can adjust that as we go. There is also the wiring for temp sensors and speed sensors for the turbos amongst other fun things.

Last edited by cobalt; 09-13-2023 at 10:11 AM.
misteralz (09-14-2023)
Old 11-01-2023, 01:47 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

So much time has gone by far too quickly. Officially today per the federal government I am considered old. I try not to think of B-days any longer but today is special we are finally at the point that the Blue Meanie will be cranked over. This has taken far too long but was so incredibly involved and just one of 4 or 5 major projects I am working on at once. George at Apex Motorwerks has been cranking on the wiring harness. It looks a bit rough but getting closer. we are at the testing phase and this coming Monday we will hopefully see it fire up. This will be phase 1 then we have to check for leaks and other issues and soon after onto the dyno for tuning. Very exciting times.

Haltech mounted on isolation plate using rubber insulators. All access is done here and will be easy to run diagnostics on. There are also additional ports for add ons if we chose to do so later.

​​​​​​🤞 She runs as expected.

Meanwhile so many changes in my approach to cars. I picked up this 3k mile 981GT4 since I couldn't resist. The price was right and suited my needs. This will serve as a dual purpose car for my wife, son and myself. Meanwhile my **** Box project has now turned into a club racer again for my son to race and I will occasionally DE it as well. At least until I can remember how to drive a 964 on track it has been 2 years and I need some seat time before climbing behind the wheel of the Blue Meanie. All I need to do is finish that engine and make sure the car meets Club rules.

It is so red but it is the closest thing to a #1 car I have come across in along time. Sadly it won't stay this way long.

Meanwhile I will be putting the Cayman S up for sale. 24k miles. It was another #1 car when we first got it in 2020 but not close now. Very nicely setup Cayman S with everything to go fast that can be done was minus engine work. Only a cobb tune. He runs down most of the advanced black run group in this car and passes far faster cars in it. I hate to see it go, I must have 1000 hours into it but so typical once it is done it is time to move on. If interested it is expensive but a fraction of the cost to build. Comes with lots of spare and no overruns outside of 380.61 hrs and only a few #4. Porsche considers them non issues.

I am considering selling my rare 981 Boxster GTS 6 speed nicely appointed. Not as fast as the GT4 but makes all the right noises and nicely appointed. I will miss this one more than some air-cooled 911's and knowing me that says a lot. A very special car but management says I have to keep the count down below 10.

All go fast goodies, Sport chrono, X73 etc etc, 26 k miles all service up to date.

I will be asking in the $70k+ for either. The Cayman has everything needed to start serious DE and if you can drive this at my sons pace you can drive anything fast.

Last edited by cobalt; 11-01-2023 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-01-2023, 01:50 PM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 541 Likes on 276 Posts

Anthony, you have some beautiful cars. That GT4 looks great in that picture! Congrats on that car. It is so cool that you track your cars with your family. Love it.

Mr. Wolfe
cobalt (11-01-2023)
Old 11-02-2023, 08:21 AM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Received 308 Likes on 247 Posts

nice toys there A!
cobalt (11-02-2023)
Old 11-08-2023, 09:32 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

So Everything is working but for some reason the ecu isn't sending a signal to the fuel pump so it will be a little more time till she fires. She cranks nicely everything seems to be OK just a few more days. Off to my bi annual surgery so I will be out of commission for a few. Once she runs we will connect all the plumbing for the IC and other little things. Many moving parts with this project.

Old 11-10-2023, 06:49 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I will have to find a way to post some video but for now IT IS ALIVE!!!!!!!

After all the setbacks, distractions, disruptions and whatnot the Blue Meanie actually came to life today and it sounds mean. Just long enough to seat the rings but the cork was popped after she ran and did quite well. Now the fun begins with tuning and troubleshooting why some things are being a PITA like the tach not functioning. We are getting signal, but the big worries are over and I am stoked.

Will be updating as things progress.
The following 3 users liked this post by cobalt:
Greg Wolfe (11-13-2023), Ken D (11-11-2023), misteralz (11-14-2023)
Old 11-10-2023, 10:36 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 276 Posts

Congrats! What was the fuel pump fix?
Old 11-13-2023, 09:46 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jeff33702
Congrats! What was the fuel pump fix?
Fuel pump was a simple wiring issue not making proper contact. There is a lot to go over which takes time. Not sure why we aren't getting a tach signal either yet it is showing up on the Computer. I will see what I can do to get at least a sound clip up. I might have to post it on IG and put a link. Does anyone have an easy approach? I am not fond of the video I have but we have others just haven't looked at them yet. Apex will be posting some shortly but we still have to mount a bunch of lines and add the IC today before we can do anything else. Then hopefully onto the dyno and start the long process of tuning.

I was just so excited it ran and ran well I had to post. I also need to reinstall the seats it makes it easier to do the work if you can sit in the car.
Old 02-06-2024, 10:05 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Seems as though this will go on forever. Making some headway but slow. Latest plumbing work nearly complete. Now that the IC is installed I suspect we should be getting closer to tuning which is where I need the help.

misteralz (02-07-2024)
Old 02-06-2024, 04:34 PM
Spyder_2011
Racer

Received 228 Likes on 125 Posts

That is ridiculously tight in there. I love the attention to detail and weld work.

When you’re adding these lines into the bay are you having to partially drop the engine every time?

Quick Reply: My long overdue track car thread. Part II resurrection of the Blue Meanie