Sponsored by:

I think I need professional help ;)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2021, 01:52 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
...They never painted the interior bits so that is all still cobalt and it is wearing an NNJR DE sticker.
Congratulations. In case you have too many, I'm sure many RL members will take one off of your hands. Especially after you go through one.

Love to see Cobalt interior pics when the car arrives.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:17 PM
CBA
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Awesome and jealous too! Congrats.
Old 01-31-2021, 10:14 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,170 Likes on 1,299 Posts

After a complete runaround and double the initial shipping charges the car arrived Saturday at 5 pm. Not an easy place to unload but the driver was safe and just loved the car. He said he has been doing this for 15 years and carries many nice cars but has never had so many slow down to take pictures of the car on the trailer like this one. Then he took many more pics and video of it running. LOL

Car has some *****. Easily lit up the tires. I have no info on the build other than it was done by Dan Jacobs of Hairry Dog many years ago. The NNJR sticker on the windshield is dated 2011 Mid Ohio event. I suspect that it was the cars last event and has sat since. Pino and I are going to have some fun making it perfect again and it will require a full strip and rotisserie eventually. I will be looking into ice blasting as well. Although most of the panels will be replaced with turbo parts I already have. The G50 is a G body unit converted to fit the 964 and I suspect short gears and a very nice LSD. I have a spare G50/03 so I can always swap out internals. Overall the car is what I expected. In all the mess with the truckers 10 of the 11 wheels that come with the car were left behind so I need to work that out as well.

Best parts I see a lot of parts I can recycle and swap.

Does anyone know who makes these wheels? it came with a spare.

It is interesting to see how color and the Wide body can make one look so much larger than the other. I am getting closer to finishing the other build so this will be next.

Can't wait to hear the turbos spool on the track car. This is what other swill see when I go flying by or maybe just a ball of flame. LOL

Just the mock up for now.

Last edited by cobalt; 01-31-2021 at 10:16 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by cobalt:
DTMLGND (02-01-2021), jpoint (01-31-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 11:52 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

Wow! Motor looks clean. Look forward to comments after your shakedown weekend run. What is your tech prep list to get it ready?
Old 01-31-2021, 11:54 AM
jon91581
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Wheels look like CCW Classics. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Old 02-01-2021, 10:34 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chsu74
Wow! Motor looks clean. Look forward to comments after your shakedown weekend run. What is your tech prep list to get it ready?
I have to admit the motor is one of the stronger 964's I have driven. Clearly has a LWF and much more done. I am curious and excited to see what Dan did to it. Sounds great and pulls strong but it will eventually be a full ITB 3.8 build with custom tune. Just trying to figure out how to get the additional 10 wheels here. Looks like I will need to have them trucked up. I have E88's and once the widebody is done this will get the RSR speedlines as a street car.

Before anything is done all fluids will be dropped and inspected for metal or issues. I will do a full inspection of everything and some parts I will be using on my C2. Which works out nicely. I seem to love these pandoras boxes. LOL
Old 02-02-2021, 12:34 AM
RSA964993
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 85 Posts

E88s will look good on this car! Looking forward to this build.
Old 02-02-2021, 09:20 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RSA964993
E88s will look good on this car! Looking forward to this build.
Yes they would. And imagine that some thoughtful lister was kind enough to sell me the perfect set. I will be pealing the decals off shortly but this will need some time before it does anything especially after the 30" of snow we got yesterday.

Last edited by cobalt; 02-02-2021 at 09:21 AM.
Old 02-02-2021, 12:50 PM
Jeff Burger
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

So sad, you are a helpless case..... Engine just went in mine

As I recall, Tim's car had a blue/ yellow paint scheme when he raced it. I know, not much help,
Old 02-02-2021, 02:10 PM
Paolo1
Burning Brakes

Received 110 Likes on 76 Posts

How many man hours do you estimate this to take till it become what your vision is for it or is it just too fun to worry about that
Old 02-03-2021, 02:10 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jeff Burger
So sad, you are a helpless case..... Engine just went in mine

As I recall, Tim's car had a blue/ yellow paint scheme when he raced it. I know, not much help,
Good to hear. Looking forward to seeing it when it is done. No biggie, it would be nice to know more about its past but not necessary. 🤞 It will be golf and driving season again soon. That 30" of snow yesterday was brutal.

Originally Posted by Paolo1
How many man hours do you estimate this to take till it become what your vision is for it or is it just too fun to worry about that
Two things I try not to do is count the hours or add up the bills if I did I know I would scare myself. LOL Although I can say it will take as much time as needed to make it perfect. Just in the planning stages now.
Old 02-03-2021, 11:14 AM
Jeff Burger
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Between covid and snow, it is a good time to make some progress . It will be great to follow your build. Once I get mine on the road i will put a little story together but It won't be epic like some of the great 964 strings that other rennlisters have posted.
Old 02-04-2021, 09:12 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jeff Burger
Between covid and snow, it is a good time to make some progress . It will be great to follow your build. Once I get mine on the road i will put a little story together but It won't be epic like some of the great 964 strings that other rennlisters have posted.

Looking forward to it. Funny how I have more time than ever but as usual I have just filled that time with more projects. I need to do a track engine build thread but I am too busy working on either the slick top of my C2 or the track build. Pino had surgery on his shoulder last Thursday. He has been working for nearly 2 years with a destroyed rotator cuff so that slows one project. I will be learning how to do headliners guided by the master soon.

Meanwhile I pealed the stickers off the new car and Pino stopped by and we went over the damage. I though the tub might be tweaked but Pino and I determined the tight gaps are purely cosmetic and not a bent tub. Phew that makes me quite happy. I might track this thing for an event or two if I don't have the track build done and would be a good car to relearn how to drive a 964 on track after driving 981's recently.

The new exhaust is slowly getting done. Picture is a bit distorted and the pipes are still 5" longer than finished length so they look like they are pointing down and out but that will change once cut to length. Takes a lot of time to make the angles work. Getting excited to see this thing run.

Old 02-04-2021, 02:02 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

Wow, she cleaned up nicely, and good news the tub is straight. Definitely do a couple "getting reacquainted" track sessions with it before you blow everyone's doors off with Big Blue.
Old 02-05-2021, 09:09 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Wow, she cleaned up nicely, and good news the tub is straight. Definitely do a couple "getting reacquainted" track sessions with it before you blow everyone's doors off with Big Blue.
Funny I will need to build up to the blue meanie. (it is what my wife dubbed it) It will be a handful to drive with all the power it will be making. But with a linear power band I will just need to learn some self control LOL.

I should be finished with the exhaust today. I really need to find the time for a thread on its progress. This will have flames out the back but I won't be dumping lots of fuel for big shooting yellow flames more like a blow torch with blue flames under WOT and maybe a nice shot when lifting.

I decided to keep the tail pipes longer just in case. I asked 20 people their opinion on length and angle etc. I got 20 different answers. LOL

So far this is what I have. I might ceramic coat them black and might cut the angle a bit more. For now this is it and I need to move onto the IC which is going to be a project all by itself. I will be doing the waste gate dump pipes today. I am torn between a separate dump pipe or plumbing the WG pipe into the exhaust pipe and make it all two flame throwers vs four. Plumbing into the exhaust pipe could introduce some boost creep. The WG's are large enough it should be OK so we will see I guess. I can always make them over but it is a lot of work. So this is what they look like now and what the dump pipe into the exhaust will be like once done. It is fun trying to make all this line up.

Quick Reply: I think I need professional help ;)