Porsche 964, 1991 Carrera c2 oil leak 100000kms mileage

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2020, 02:56 PM
Dwad
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Porsche 964, 1991 Carrera c2 oil leak 100000kms mileage

Hi guys,
I am having leak from my valve cover & cam covers. I am confident that these leaks can be fixed easily, but the leak that is troubling me is the
1.........leak in the crankcase bottom bolts, it is not coming from sealing surfaces, but it is from the bolts that holds the case,

What are my options ? Does it require complete rebuild or it can be fixed by ordering new bolts
2. Leak from cylinders at one bank, I want to install all new stock cylinders, my supplier gave me multiple options about the cylinder. He says the same cylinders should be installed as previously installed.. now I don't know how I should place order for cylinder, how do I decide it from part no. ?

Any help guys,
Thanks.
Old 12-06-2020, 03:29 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Can you quantify the leak? Is it only damp? Is it resulting in a few drips after it is parked awhile? Is it streaming out when the car is running?
The following users liked this post:
Dwad (12-06-2020)
Old 12-06-2020, 04:01 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts

Crankcase seam can be multiple sources as that's the lowest, most dependent location. Oil return tubes and oil line fitting from crankcase to filter housing are a couple common ones. I have the latter one and am told the line fitting to the crankcase often can come loose. Access isn't great but am waiting to try it for a hopefully easier fix at the same time I drop the heat exchangers for other work.
Dwad (12-06-2020)
Old 12-06-2020, 10:00 PM
Dwad
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vandit
Can you quantify the leak? Is it only damp? Is it resulting in a few drips after it is parked awhile? Is it streaming out when the car is running?
The leak is not much, it appears on the threads... Everytime I clean it it takes around 1 hour of idle run to be visible. Yet not creating any drop soon ..
Much of the leak is coming from cylinders, this leak is causing multiple drops
Old 12-10-2020, 08:09 AM
Dick964
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

If the cilinders and pistons are in line with the factory minimum specs it is not nescessay te replace them.
If other internal parts are line with the specs only a 'repacking' of the engine with fresh sealings, rubbers etc. etc. will do.
My engine was repacked at 127.000 Km and even with the 'no gasket' heads it is still running great, no drips, no oil consumption etc. etc.
Of course your supplier will give you the advise to replace as much as possible...

Good luck,

Dick964

Dwad (12-13-2020)
Old 12-11-2020, 10:09 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,090 Likes on 1,255 Posts

I am assuming this was rebuilt already? Is it an early or late engine 91? The sealant along the bottom was that part of the rebuild or added later? Although it is hard to say but the oil appears to be coming from above. Have you checked the top of the engine. Many times the pressure sending seal or sensor will leak and oil will drip down from above making its way to the lowest point. Especially the right side. The round opening around 10 o'clock is what I am talking about.

If it is actually coming from the bolts on the lower portion of the case it is an issue that goes back to the bottom end build and will need it done again to stop although it doesn't appear to be anything more than oil leaking from above. It could be the base seals at the bottom of the cylinders but it is hard to say without having the engine to inspect.
Dwad (12-13-2020)
Old 12-13-2020, 03:38 AM
Dwad
Instructor

Thanks to everyone for their kind reply, soon I have ordered all gaskets & seal for now for the engine, I will have an eye on everything once I will start dismantling it..will update soon

Quick Reply: Porsche 964, 1991 Carrera c2 oil leak 100000kms mileage