Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 road suspension recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2021, 08:11 AM
rod635
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Colin, Thanks for proving all this info, I am about to upgrade the stock suspension on my 90 C4 Targa, as its a C4 would you still recommend the B8 package, the car will be used mainly for street & mountain road runs with the odd once or twice a year track day.
Should I replace the top mounts at the same time and if yes what would you recommend. I'm also on a budget, the other bushes were checked during a service by my experienced mechanic and I was told they do not need replacing, I had bought pro flex bushes and was told not to fit them and they were not required.
Also any suggestions where to buy the parts in Europe, I can only see B6 and B16 kits listed not B8

Last edited by rod635; 06-18-2021 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06-21-2021, 08:45 AM
rod635
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Lew, What did you finally decide on and are you happy with it, I'm considering upgrading the stock suspension on my 90 C4 Targa.
Regards
Rod
Old 06-23-2021, 11:59 AM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

So about two years I ordered parts for a suspension refresh. I wasn't interested in making the car more capable, just get the worn parts replaced.

I wanted a slightly lower stance and nothing jarring.

What I ended up with was Koni FSD shocks and Eibach lowering springs, along with absolutely every bushing and a steering rack brace.
​​​​​​
​The car feels much better and the floating is gone. Weight stransfer is less like a bag of sand hanging under the car going side to side, but more like it is a solid piece.

As a side effect, the car felt a little softer in some circumstances than before. The FSD shocks make the car feel more comfortable in certain situations... But not soft. I can feel the mechanical valve effect of that shock. It has a surprising effect on comfort at times and I don't feel like it has caused any weird handling effects when pushing the car.
​​​​
So, first consider what you are after and try to resist temptation of the best system for the sake of the "best" system. How many times will you really crawl under your car to adjust your suspension when you take it for some canyon carving, because it is set up for highway driving?

I just needed something that works well across the board and not spend a ton on things I wouldn't use.
​​​
​​​​​
The following 2 users liked this post by Navaros911:
abarthguy (06-26-2021), lbpa18 (06-26-2021)
Old 06-26-2021, 12:28 PM
lbpa18
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

@rod635, I had a setback with my trailer tow vehicle that has taken this off of the front burner for now as other things are at the top of the priority list. Probably a few months from being able to do this. In the meantime there has been some very good knowledge imparted here and I continue to educate myself on the subject. I will do so right to the very end before commiting. I have a direction Im leaning but will wait until that last moment. One thing that has not changed is to change out all of the worn rubber and bushings before any improvements are made to the suspension or drivetrain. But even though its a little squishy feeling on the canyon curves, its still a blast to drive on the rare outing.
Old 07-13-2021, 02:43 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by NineMeister
H&R make excellent lowering springs for the 964, they will be fine for this application.

Passing thought on adjustable shocks:
If you have 15x adjustments in bump and 15x adjustments in rebound, there are 225:1 odds that the dampers are adjusted wrong rather than right.
How about KW V1's vs the B8 kit? Thoughts?
Old 07-28-2021, 04:29 PM
bricem13
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi
I would be interested in hearing some feedback about kw v1 for road use - and potentially very few track sessions.
Old 07-28-2021, 05:09 PM
darylbowden
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by bricem13
Hi
I would be interested in hearing some feedback about kw v1 for road use - and potentially very few track sessions.
I've had the v1s for about 1000 miles. They are fantastic and provide a really solid balance of performance and comfort. Far better than the previous Bilsteins I had. I had to adjust the ride height a couple times just to dial it in (very common to do so once suspension settles post-install). Other than that there is nothing to do and that's a very good thing. Hell, even my wife called me from the Malibu beach after she drove it through the canyons to get there to gush about the improvements. FWIW, I also replace the drop links, bushings, and the other common wear items when I made the swap - no point in changing shocks/struts if you don't also address all the wear items that are likely worn out from age at the same time.

In general when it comes to suspension, I try to keep things simple. I used to race motorcycles and spent a day each race weekend mostly dialing in the suspension for a given track. If you are a track rat and will be taking the time to properly shake down your car at each event and dial them in, then the v3s are probably useful. If you are not going to that extreme, I'm a firm believer in KISS. As Colin kinda alludes to above most drivers don't know nearly enough about suspension, nor are they willing/able to take the time that it takes to properly setup and maintain the setup of a car. Given that, a lot of times more adjustability just means more ways for an owner to worsen the suspension performance.

The following users liked this post:
lbpa18 (07-28-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 06:54 PM
A911Dream
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks Daryl.

I know it is very subjective, but can you comment on the V1 from a ride quality, firmness, jarring perspective? Especially on average, broken pavement.

The V1s are top of list to replace my Bilstein / HR combo. I am looking to firm up the suspension, maintain the current stance, and compliment my new H&R sways.

Chris
Old 07-28-2021, 07:07 PM
darylbowden
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by A911Dream
Thanks Daryl.

I know it is very subjective, but can you comment on the V1 from a ride quality, firmness, jarring perspective? Especially on average, broken pavement.

The V1s are top of list to replace my Bilstein / HR combo. I am looking to firm up the suspension, maintain the current stance, and compliment my new H&R sways.

Chris
Sure I'll do my best. I live in LA so the roads here are probably average. We don't tend to get the giant potholes you get in states where it freezes, etc but deferred maintenance is a prime portion of the Caltrans motto. I also have stock components (although refreshed) in terms of bushings, mounts, drop links, sway bars, etc. I imagine a monoball setup would change things for instance.

Given that setup, it's definitely not jarring. I DD a 991.2 GT3 and the 964 with the V1s are not near as stiff and jarring as it is. It is still firm-ish so you feel the road more than you would with the stock setup but it holds the road SO much better (as you would expect). There's never been a moment where I felt uncomfortable driving it, the firmness has never translated as "harsh" to me.

If I had to create a 1-10 scale - 1 being Mercedes S class ride comfort and 10 being GT3RS "ride comfort" I would say the V1s are somewhere around a 6.5 or 7. They are firm, but compliant. You feel the road, you aren't thrown off of it.

In terms of stance, I was able to dial in exactly the ride height I wanted so I imagine you'll be able to achieve whatever it is you're after.
lbpa18 (07-28-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 07:17 PM
lbpa18
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

Exactly the feedback Ive been searching for as well. Thanks.
darylbowden (07-28-2021)

Quick Reply: 964 road suspension recommendations