Battery Positive Cable Identification

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2021, 03:11 AM
MrManic_NZ
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Positive Cable Identification

Hi team,

I was wondering whether anyone could shed some light on where the cables off the positive post on the 964 battery go? I am in the process of wiring up a 6 pole kill switch and while I understand the concept and how to wiring it up correctly, I am really wanting to know where all the positive cables go (the 964 wiring diagrams while not terrible to interpret they are far from straight forward).

There appears to be 2 cables crimped to the terminal that connects to the battery post (One 0 AWG cable and One cable with 3x 10AWG shielded) - these cables run across the floor of the frunk (0 gauge appears to go to central electrics) (first photo). Additionally, there are 2x 10awg cables crimped together with a 1/4" terminal ring that goes into the body harness (second photo).

Any assistance on the matter and identification of the cables would be fantastic!

Cheers,

Shielded Cable with 3x 10AWG Cables (left) and 1x 0AWG cable (right) with terminal cut away in background.

Body positive cables (2x 10AWG) with battery terminal held to show mounting position.
Old 07-27-2021, 03:42 PM
wallra
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

you should of done it on the negitive side.
Old 07-27-2021, 07:40 PM
MrManic_NZ
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wallra
you should of done it on the negitive side.
Cannot be done on negative side for motorsport purposes.
Old 07-28-2021, 08:47 AM
964George
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by MrManic_NZ
Hi team,

I was wondering whether anyone could shed some light on where the cables off the positive post on the 964 battery go? I am in the process of wiring up a 6 pole kill switch and while I understand the concept and how to wiring it up correctly, I am really wanting to know where all the positive cables go (the 964 wiring diagrams while not terrible to interpret they are far from straight forward).

There appears to be 2 cables crimped to the terminal that connects to the battery post (One 0 AWG cable and One cable with 3x 10AWG shielded) - these cables run across the floor of the frunk (0 gauge appears to go to central electrics) (first photo). Additionally, there are 2x 10awg cables crimped together with a 1/4" terminal ring that goes into the body harness (second photo).

Any assistance on the matter and identification of the cables would be fantastic!

Cheers,

Shielded Cable with 3x 10AWG Cables (left) and 1x 0AWG cable (right) with terminal cut away in background.

Body positive cables (2x 10AWG) with battery terminal held to show mounting position.
Check out the wiring diagram from the workshop manual, pdf versions can be found online.

Below is a snippet from page 36 for the 1990 964.
It shows all the wires from your pics and where they go to.
The 35 gauge (0AWG) black wire splits out later to feed the central electric (term 30) and the ignition, but also carries on to the starter motor.
The 3x 4 gauge (10AWG) red wires feed R11 (term 15e), R41 DME and the Radio.
The 2x 4 gauge (10AWG) red wires both feed the ABS unit.

Hope this helps

Last edited by 964George; 07-29-2021 at 08:08 AM.
Old 07-28-2021, 12:57 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by MrManic_NZ
Hi team,

Cheers,

At least one of the large + wires goes in the passenger compartment near the right center of the passenger side, passengers left foot will be over that area, it then runs under the floor padding and back to the starting motor on that side of the car
Old 07-28-2021, 07:45 PM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 95 Posts

From the battery plus side
1. Central electric (fuse box )
2. Ignition switch
3. starter

Quick Reply: Battery Positive Cable Identification