Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does this part do? (door locking coil/solenoid/diode)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2020, 03:28 PM
darylbowden
Rennlist Member

Received 517 Likes on 343 Posts
Default What does this part do? (door locking coil/solenoid/diode)

I've seen it called a million different things, but I'm talking about this part: https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...637-237-00-OEM which is located under the door cap and surrounds the lock pin. I've been chasing door locking issues and the other stuff is all super obvious what it does, but I'm just trying to understand what role this part plays in it so I can better debug it. I searched but all the door lock threads seem to focus on the mechanical parts, the actuators or the central locking brain. Can't find to seem anything useful on this.
Old 06-11-2020, 03:55 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,847 Likes on 1,124 Posts

it lights up the lock rod. I don't think it plays any other purpose. The light will blink to indicate issues too, BTW.

what are the issues you're seeing?

Old 06-11-2020, 04:05 PM
darylbowden
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyerx
it lights up the lock rod. I don't think it plays any other purpose. The light will blink to indicate issues too, BTW.

There's a couple things, but the big one is that when the door are unlocked and i hit the central locking button, on the passenger side, the door locks and then immediately unlocks. The pin light (alarm light) flashes as it should FWIW. The driver side does nothing but I think there is a bad actuator there so trying to diagnose one problem at a time.
Old 06-11-2020, 05:35 PM
Ubipa
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx

Would it be considered an inductive coupler? Here’s what the lock rod looks like inside which wirelessly allows the LED to light. Pretty simple setup, probably wouldn’t be your issue if the LED works.

Old 06-12-2020, 08:16 AM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 78 Posts

Hope this helps - might be worth just checking anyway just to eliminate a potential cause and for future peace of mind..

Attached Images
Old 06-12-2020, 05:27 PM
darylbowden
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LM964
Hope this helps - might be worth just checking anyway just to eliminate a potential cause and for future peace of mind..
Oh that's really interesting. I never would have considered that, but I have found other signs of minor water intrusion (it's a cab) so there might be something to that. Thanks for sharing that.
Old 06-12-2020, 09:40 PM
darylbowden
Rennlist Member

So I did solve this problem today after months of not understanding what was going on. I stumbled upon this post at Pelican while I was searching for parts: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ap-system.html and the last entry there was what helped me figure it out.

It turns out that if you try to lock the doors (or unlock) and one of the actuators doesn't work, the lock mechanism will send a fail signal back to the lock controller and the lock controller then forces unlock of the doors that work. It does this as a safety feature so that if it senses one isn't working, it defaults to unlocked. So the test (as in the post linked above) was to hit the button to lock the doors and at the same time manually lock the door with the suspected failed actuator. When doing that, the signal then gets returned to the control unit that it locked and then both door stay locked. And if you do the reverse (unlock both), that also stays. That told me I had a bad actuator in one door for certain so I replaced that and then magic - it all worked as it should - keys, button, manually, etc.
Old 06-13-2020, 06:31 AM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 78 Posts

That last Pelican posting mentioned above, very interesting and good to know. Thanks for pointing out.
Old 06-13-2020, 10:48 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,847 Likes on 1,124 Posts

Good yes they key things in the system are the computer, the solenoids, and the micro switches at the door handles. I had a similar situation and it was an actuator rod broken.
The following users liked this post:
darylbowden (06-13-2020)

Quick Reply: What does this part do? (door locking coil/solenoid/diode)