Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Tinting.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2020, 04:50 PM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 84 Posts

Alright.......... had all of the tint removed and like the looks so I left the windows untinted. I had the shop install an essentially zero tint film on the windshield to help protect the dash.

Picked the car up and the first thing I notice is the windows now have the strange coloration you see on some cars when wearing polarized sunglasses (which I was wearing.) Then...... driving back to the office, I'm getting a strange color sensation looking out the front window due to the new film/polarized sunglasses.

Some days I cannot win for losing.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:01 PM
Bigwood
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

I can’t comment on the colors but Mabey try some non polarized glasses. I personally like the look of the tint but it feels closed it to me, especially at night. I need all the help to see as I get older!
Old 02-28-2020, 07:48 PM
TxnBluDvl
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dukmon
Alright.......... had all of the tint removed and like the looks so I left the windows untinted. I had the shop install an essentially zero tint film on the windshield to help protect the dash.

Picked the car up and the first thing I notice is the windows now have the strange coloration you see on some cars when wearing polarized sunglasses (which I was wearing.) Then...... driving back to the office, I'm getting a strange color sensation looking out the front window due to the new film/polarized sunglasses.

Normal. Shop should have warned you about it.

Depending on the orientation of the film lay up as well as the orientation of the polarization of your lenses, rainbowing will occur. Tilt your head sideways and you’ll see it come and go.

It’s hard to avoid. And sometimes you’ll see it in the side windows and only at certain angles.

Old 02-28-2020, 08:02 PM
Sajan
Pro

Received 302 Likes on 181 Posts

I used to get legal level tint on my cars before in the front. In Texas it's VLT of 25%. Rears, I went a shade or two darker. I hate the 5% limo look.
My current daily driver sedan, I just did 33% VLT, Llumar ceramic (formula one), same on all windows. I like it better. It's not too dark, and it looks even.

VLT is visible light transmitted. 100% is ZERO tint. TSER = total solar energy rejected. Higher the percentage, the better. Back in days, you had to get dark tint to get higher TSER. now with quality ceramic, and crystalline film (only 3M), you can do a film as light as VLT of 70% and still have better rejection (50%) than cheaper darker film.

So on my 3.2, I did 70% crystalline all around (550 with tax for all windows, 300 with tax for front). Heat rejection was amazing. But 3M cystalline is very hard to install and my installer did a crappy job (had to manually cut it since car is old) on few of the windows. I was going to take it back but when I was getting xpel front film installed, the guy sold me on the xpel ceramic xr plus 70. i know he does quality work. I was fixated on crystalline before and that's why i didn't go to him in the first place.
I had him rip off the crystalline from all the windows (yes it pained me to throw away 550 bucks) except the windshield and he is replacing it with the xpel tint. TSER and VLT is identical so I am hoping i don't notice a diff. I will post pics when I get the car back.

which film? ceramic?
Old 03-01-2020, 09:19 PM
A914MAN
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My '91 Targa has the side and rear glass tinted, it was like that when I got it. I kind of like the look, in a retro '80's way but hate it at night. If there's no street light you can't see out the back or in the side mirrors to back up. If I can ever squirrel enough time to work on my own car, I'll take it off, but that's a bit of a process (I've never done before)
Old 03-02-2020, 10:50 AM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TxnBluDvl
Normal. Shop should have warned you about it.

Depending on the orientation of the film lay up as well as the orientation of the polarization of your lenses, rainbowing will occur. Tilt your head sideways and you’ll see it come and go.

It’s hard to avoid. And sometimes you’ll see it in the side windows and only at certain angles.

Yeah, I'm certain the films orientation is wrong.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:51 AM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sajan
I used to get legal level tint on my cars before in the front. In Texas it's VLT of 25%. Rears, I went a shade or two darker. I hate the 5% limo look.
My current daily driver sedan, I just did 33% VLT, Llumar ceramic (formula one), same on all windows. I like it better. It's not too dark, and it looks even.

VLT is visible light transmitted. 100% is ZERO tint. TSER = total solar energy rejected. Higher the percentage, the better. Back in days, you had to get dark tint to get higher TSER. now with quality ceramic, and crystalline film (only 3M), you can do a film as light as VLT of 70% and still have better rejection (50%) than cheaper darker film.

So on my 3.2, I did 70% crystalline all around (550 with tax for all windows, 300 with tax for front). Heat rejection was amazing. But 3M cystalline is very hard to install and my installer did a crappy job (had to manually cut it since car is old) on few of the windows. I was going to take it back but when I was getting xpel front film installed, the guy sold me on the xpel ceramic xr plus 70. i know he does quality work. I was fixated on crystalline before and that's why i didn't go to him in the first place.
I had him rip off the crystalline from all the windows (yes it pained me to throw away 550 bucks) except the windshield and he is replacing it with the xpel tint. TSER and VLT is identical so I am hoping i don't notice a diff. I will post pics when I get the car back.

which film? ceramic?

It's the 3M Cystalline @ 70%.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:54 AM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A914MAN
My '91 Targa has the side and rear glass tinted, it was like that when I got it. I kind of like the look, in a retro '80's way but hate it at night. If there's no street light you can't see out the back or in the side mirrors to back up. If I can ever squirrel enough time to work on my own car, I'll take it off, but that's a bit of a process (I've never done before)

FWIW, the shop that handled my car did a fine job removing the existing tint (I'm always concerned about damage to the car) and only charged me $100. There is no way I would have DIY for that kind of $$. I'd have paid $100 to not have to crawl into the back seat.
Old 03-02-2020, 11:23 PM
A914MAN
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW, the shop that handled my car did a fine job removing the existing tint (I'm always concerned about damage to the car) and only charged me $100. There is no way I would have DIY for that kind of $$. I'd have paid $100 to not have to crawl into the back seat.
That seems like a deal to me.
Old 03-03-2020, 11:11 AM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 138 Posts

A Clothing Steamer makes removal pretty easy.
Old 03-03-2020, 11:45 AM
Deserion
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by A914MAN
I pulled the tint on mine when I had the door glass out to replace the vent window corner wedge seal. Super easy to handle it on a workbench. Rear window was more problematic but a heat gun helped loosen the adhesive enough to gently pull it off.
Old 03-03-2020, 04:54 PM
jwbavalon
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm with Vegas993 that a clothing steamer works great. A towel will absorb any water that runs down the window. The tint lifts off in one sheet. At the worse there is a bit of adhesive left behind. The steam will soften the adhesive and it can be rubbed off or ammonia will help with the removal. If the heat gun is too hot and left in place too long, the window will crack.
Old 03-04-2020, 10:22 PM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with clear heat blocking tint. Ceramic. Need all the help we can with our lousy ac’s!

Quick Reply: Window Tinting.....