Sponsored by:

Cup Airbox Cover?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2019, 11:11 AM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by mundo-kombi
BTW and IMHO. Fitting anything to these cars that has a fake carbon fibre look is sacrilege.
I couldn’t agree more!
Old 12-13-2019, 11:15 AM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

yes, to be clear, I just cut a hole in mine but in racing you take every legal advantage you can get and if it were even 5 rwhp I would have been pretty damn excited about it.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:23 AM
Mr. Merk
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
you can do what I did, find a cover and cut it:

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...l#post15314196

I ordered my from Autobahn in San Diego. (they part 964s and others)
I sourced a cover on eBay and did the same modification. My stock airbox is in the attic with all the other original parts I've pulled off.

I absolutely loathe the Fabspeed fake carbon look trinket. It's something I would've put on my Ford Ranger when I was in high school. They'd sell way more of them if they were just plain black.I'm not sure why Rennline hasn't started developing a product to compete.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:28 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

...BTW and IMHO. Fitting anything to these cars that has a fake carbon fibre look is sacrilege.
Ouch. But probably right... have thought about painting my carbon heater bypass (with rubberized Plastidip - so reversible).
Car came with body-colored fan, not my favorite, but it's so clean and shinny I'll leave it alone.
Old 12-13-2019, 01:35 PM
NACHTBLAU
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Ouch. But probably right... have thought about painting my carbon heater bypass (with rubberized Plastidip - so reversible).
Car came with body-colored fan, not my favorite, but it's so clean and shinny I'll leave it alone.

I love the cobalt fan - is that a product of being Rudyfied?
Old 12-13-2019, 03:30 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Yep it's a Rudy touch. Like the carbon bypass comment, a natural, more mechanical finished fan would probably suit the engine bay better. But these engines never look that great to other people, so the fan is a nice bit of eye candy to distract them from all the wires and hoses.

Rudy put a couple nice touches on the car after he bought it from Nathan. Aero mirrors, Porsche colored crest wheel caps, Sport seats, changed the shift **** and parking break lever to blue, 5mm rear spacers. He was looking for a blue Ruf sport steering wheel, but I bought the car before he could find one.... dang!

BTW: Ivy, VA? Awesome driving and cycling area! Will shout out next time I do Skyline Drive.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:34 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

Built this a few years ago.
Attached Images   
The following 4 users liked this post by Robert Linton:
911Jetta (12-16-2019), 964tit (12-14-2019), dukmon (12-14-2019), Mikke_Possu (12-14-2019)
Old 12-14-2019, 05:26 AM
Sirenty
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 184 Posts

Ummm, making any more? 😁
Old 12-14-2019, 07:47 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

As I am moving to a 4-valve air cooled engine, I had not planned to.
Old 12-14-2019, 08:08 AM
mundo-kombi
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueC2
I love the cobalt fan - is that a product of being Rudyfied?
Me too. Love the detail of this engine bay. My C2 is silver, so to do that probably wouldn't be the best use of my time

A quick question for the ignorant. Why are people removing heater fan etc. They've decided that heating isn't necessary and want to save a modicum of weight whilst clearing up the engine bay and providing better access? If that's the case, I guess the heat exchangers go to?

BTW, I'm a newby to aircooled Porsches, in case you hadn't guessed

Last edited by mundo-kombi; 12-14-2019 at 08:11 AM. Reason: error
Old 12-14-2019, 10:10 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

A quick question for the ignorant. Why are people removing heater fan etc.
For the same reason they insert polyurethane plugs into the transmission mount... So that 5 years from now, they can put it all back to stock.
Old 12-15-2019, 12:34 PM
blomman
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Me too. Love the detail of this engine bay. My C2 is silver, so to do that probably wouldn't be the best use of my time

A quick question for the ignorant. Why are people removing heater fan etc. They've decided that heating isn't necessary and want to save a modicum of weight whilst clearing up the engine bay and providing better access? If that's the case, I guess the heat exchangers go to?

BTW, I'm a newby to aircooled Porsches, in case you hadn't guessed
The heater fan in the Engine bay is just there to get extra heat. You will get enough heat in the cabin without it.
But it is also there to transport heated air from the engine bay into the Wheel Archs if the engine bay gets top warm and the engine is switched off.
Old 12-15-2019, 01:06 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts

Or you can open the engine deck for a few mins after driving spiritedly
Old 12-16-2019, 09:20 AM
mundo-kombi
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by blomman
The heater fan in the Engine bay is just there to get extra heat. You will get enough heat in the cabin without it.
But it is also there to transport heated air from the engine bay into the Wheel Archs if the engine bay gets top warm and the engine is switched off.
Interesting, thank you. So you can remove the fan etc, and still have heating (retaining heat exchangers of course).

However, I'll probably keep mine as is, considering your comment about helping to remove hot air once the engine is turned off.
Salud!
Old 12-16-2019, 10:20 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

..Why are people removing heater fan etc....
It’s a vanity mod, and I can see where it wouldn’t make sense to most, but the engine bay is a little cleaner, and my heater still works great so why not.

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
For the same reason they insert polyurethane plugs into the transmission mount... So that 5 years from now, they can put it all back to stock.
Just to make sure we’re talking about the same thing, are your referencing the Function First trans mount insert? I couldn’t wait to install it in this car (second time) But, I want a car that feels a little bit tighter and more focused, but not harsh. I have the soft insert. There’s very little on/off throttle drivetrain slop in my car, but it’s not harsh. From my experience, it’s the last piece in the puzzle for a locked-down drivetrain. (Stiffer motor mounts, FD golden rod, rs short shift, with forward rod). All of that really improve the handling and feeling of stability coming into corners, something I appreciate in a rear engines car.

And it acts as a support to the OEM mount.

Quick Reply: Cup Airbox Cover?