Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crappy Defroster almost killed me...

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 11:18 AM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crappy Defroster almost killed me...

It is a rare night in SoCal like last night, complete with lightning, thunder and pouring rain. We may get one of these a year.

Last night I was driving home in the Cab - I left my parents house in a downpour, with my 4 year old riding shotgun ("we have a Porsche 'vertible!"). Flipped in the defroster, cruised onto Baseline road.

Just as I began to pick up some speed, the windows fogged up like THAT - I mean every window. I can't see a freaking thing. I lower the windows ("I'm FREEZING dad!"), to little effect. I now have one small spot just above the dash vent on the window I can see through, so I'm leaning way over trying to see through the hole in the fog madly trying button variations on the HVAC box.

As cars of far less pedigree than mine fly by me, I gradually smell the air losing humidity, and after about 12 minutes of freezing cold, wet driving, the fog goes away and we roll up the windows and start to cruise.

As we got closer to home, I took a right turn fairly quickly (new tires!), and I smelled the humidity go back in the car and the windows started fogging again. After another minute or two, the folg went away and we drove slowly home.

I take it that this should not be the standard experience, or our listers from the UK would be suicidal. Any thoughts on the defroster, anything I should have checked out?

Thanks!
Old 02-23-2004, 11:26 AM
Roygarth
Three Wheelin'

Happened to me once in my 964, I hit a big puddle, windscreen went from clear to impenetrable in 2 seconds flat! Very very scary! I don't know the science involved.
Old 02-23-2004, 11:36 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Rick,
This happens to me all of the time. The only way to partially cure it is to get the car inside, pull out all the carpets, leave the doors open and let it dry out. The design of the fresh air system allows a lot of water to enter the system.
One other trick is to crank up the air conditioning. The problem is often made worse if you have heating selected which I am sure you did. Again nothing you can do about this the water collects in places and sits there and waits for the buttons to be pushed.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 02-23-2004, 11:37 AM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Happened to me in a 500bhp racecar - hit a puddle just before a bend at 100mph. Makes life interesting, eh?
Old 02-23-2004, 02:28 PM
delhi
Racer

so any way to avoid/prevent it? other than no driving it in the rain? how about rainX? or FogX <--if there's such a thing.
Old 02-23-2004, 03:49 PM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

RainX Anti fog works for me. I use standard RainX on the outside of all windows (excluding front windscreen) and antifog on insides of all.

The RainX anti fog really does work.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:14 PM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

So I guess we'll throw a can of RainX in the boot, and off we go.

I still can't fathom such a terrible defroster from a European car. Did the system improve at all with the 993? 996?
Old 02-23-2004, 06:55 PM
adewatson
Instructor

My car seems to do this straight after using a high pressure hose to clean it.

Bit scary first time it happened.

Could it be something to do with the heat exchangers getting old or am I way off the mark?

Adrian
Old 02-23-2004, 08:42 PM
69COU
Racer

try the anti fog stuff on insides of windows, it helps!

mine catches me out if ever i get the car washed, about 40 seconds after i pull away the car fogs up.

Cheers

Quick Reply: Crappy Defroster almost killed me...