Sponsored by:

Front bumper respray, rubber trim question

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 05:12 PM
jellonailer
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Front bumper respray, rubber trim question

Recently pulled my front bumper to have it repainted and give me access to the oil cooler and a/c resistors, added the 2.2K ohm resistor hack too.

See picture - not sure of the best way to install the rubber bumper trim piece. Remove rivets on the metal part install and re-rivet or jam the trim piece under the metal lip without removing rivets? Anyone have any tips or tricks? Thanks

Old 06-17-2019, 05:22 PM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 119 Posts

The rivets are still available. I removed the plates for paint. The easiest way to refit them is to rivet the plates back on with the rubber strip in place. It’s very hard to get the strip in place if you attach the plates first.

Originally Posted by jellonailer
Recently pulled my front bumper to have it repainted and give me access to the oil cooler and a/c resistors, added the 2.2K ohm resistor hack too.

See picture - not sure of the best way to install the rubber bumper trim piece. Remove rivets on the metal part install and re-rivet or jam the trim piece under the metal lip without removing rivets? Anyone have any tips or tricks? Thanks

Old 06-17-2019, 07:31 PM
jellonailer
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks. So I assume you can "peel back" the rubber flange to get the pop rivet gun in place - head of rivet is on top and "pop" barrel is on the bottom.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:21 PM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 119 Posts

Correct, it’s easier than it sounds.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:44 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,952 Likes on 1,181 Posts

The trick to installing the smile with the plates in place is to start on one side and catch the opening with the leading edge then pull the rubber smile across the bumper to snap it in place. (i hope that made sense) If you try to attach them by just pushing the entire opening over the plate at once you will be in for a battle.

Although I would tape off or remove the plates for painting.

Quick Reply: Front bumper respray, rubber trim question