Ready for Le Mans 2019

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 02:31 AM
xdecock
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ready for Le Mans 2019

Hi guys,

Small and quick presentation, last year we set our objective to go camping in our 1990 964 targa after a crash in 2015 she's been sitting waiting for us to take care of her.

Well, we're nearing completion: today i'll drop her to the garage to get her headlights / foglights aimed, tomorrow it's the state inspection to get the collection licence plate.

So in 15 days starts the trip to le mans, we got a spot in maison blanche could we expect some of you to drop by? ( We'll get coffee and 'll try to get some beers )

The list of things we did:

Full leather interior by lakewell with indian red signature stitch on dashboard, center console, door handle and door bin covers.
Lumetechnik led headlight ( and found a set of blackrings ) to drop the chrome
Kw v3 ( and thanks @Goughary for the suspension madness and the spacers ).
We changed the ARB for the RUF C4 stabiliser kit.
Used partisan autoteile for a refurbished servo motor.
( From before the crash but still )
Becker indianapolis pro head unit
Changed the cup 2 ( 993 version with spacer) for fuchs as summer wheels.
And the forged 16 cup looks for winter tyres.

Refreshed what was leaking :

Most oil lines, including the two thermostat to radiator lines, changed Alot of fastener, some seals ( pressure sender housing) shifter gearbox lipseal (which is a bitch to get out).

The foglights, turn signals and bits of front glasses are brand new, rebuilt targa.

And got back a lit of accessories, the jack handle, the correct compressor case ( which is huge), the toolkit.

Lots of work lot of missing parts that were probably never fitted back on previous jobs the rear bumper was quite impressive on that regard with half the reinforcement missing.

Her first storm, we were litteraly finishing the targa and starting to put the passenger seat back in the car. I wasn't expecting to do the first fit of the rebuilt targa as fast. Obviously the windows weren't fitting correctly.

the instagram my gf keeps online with some a110 ( the center engined beast not the 2+2 rear engined) pics from time to time.

Ps: if you want a more detailed story i'll try to put that together with my gf / comecanic : @miahmiwen
Old 05-21-2019, 02:54 AM
xdecock
Advanced

PS : if someone wants the set of 993 wheels we still have them in belgium lets find a price and a new owner
Old 05-21-2019, 03:33 AM
miahmiwen
3rd Gear

Hi there !
At last we can take some time here and not in the car !
It was an amazing adventure, and i hope that everything will be alright tommorow.
I could spend hours speaking about it, but I sort of already have done it : https://www.instagram.com/christine964targa/
Old 05-21-2019, 11:38 AM
forty2
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So in 15 days starts the trip to le mans, we got a spot in maison blanche could we expect some of you to drop by?
I wish. A Le Mans trip is on my bucket list. In fact I was watching the 1971 movie last night with my 8 year old.

The car looks lovely. Is the Targa bar original? I don't know that I've ever seen a louvered bar on a 964, I definitely dig it either way.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:41 PM
xdecock
Advanced

Indeed louvers seems not to be 964 correct and yet not sure if it's original or not some targa seems to get it. Correcting the targa bar is on the list but more as an opportunity to be honest.

Plus being one of the first targa (1990) the strange thing being the serial (650) way outside the documented range for the targas. So I'll accept there's part of the story i'll never know
Old 05-21-2019, 03:06 PM
forty2
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Funniest thing, I just noticed another louvered 964 Targa today on Ben Collins Instagram:

Old 05-21-2019, 03:16 PM
xdecock
Advanced

Maybe we need more documentation about that topic it might be the new cool with singer doing dual slot louvers 964 with 3 slot targa bar might be ultra rare.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:24 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

I've been watching this all along the way...fantastic job!

Good luck w everything...feel free to get in touch if you need any help.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:50 PM
xdecock
Advanced

I'll let you all know how it went 15 hours to go. stress is building up but i think we'll be good.
My favorite problem is the broken door handle rod that we quickly improvised with some garden wire. When things are good the garage swaps out all the brakes hard ( and soft) lines. We have our small things to finish ( front speakers add back the targa front seatbelt spacers, put back the passenger seat harness, swap the pressure sender terminals as the pressure goes to 5 bar ( without any previous issue )).

And finally fit the door pockets. After that fill up the car with the camping material ( and still hope car-bone produces the targa roof rack, but the timing seems quite short) and do the trip.

Ps: thks for all your threads i've spent too much time reading them
Old 05-21-2019, 10:34 PM
surfking
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I like the black eye ring. Car looks great, doing Monaco next may!
Old 05-22-2019, 12:11 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Wow that will be an epic journey! Hopefully the weather cooperates and you can enjoy some top off driving. Can’t wait to see more pics of this trip

Originally Posted by forty2
The car looks lovely. Is the Targa bar original? I don't know that I've ever seen a louvered bar on a 964, I definitely dig it either way.
Originally Posted by xdecock
Indeed louvers seems not to be 964 correct and yet not sure if it's original or not some targa seems to get it. Correcting the targa bar is on the list but more as an opportunity to be honest.

Plus being one of the first targa (1990) the strange thing being the serial (650) way outside the documented range for the targas. So I'll accept there's part of the story i'll never know
There was a debate about the slats in my Targa thread https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...-c2-targa.html

The conclusion was that we all thought some of the very early 964 Targa’s used leftover parts from the earlier cars, once parts ran out Porsche used smooth bars. There is more detail below:

Old 05-22-2019, 09:45 AM
xdecock
Advanced

So, small setback today, back to the garage, headlight seemed a bit low, and unfortunately, for the repair control, the car should have been brought to the control station without underbody paneling, so, back to drawing board, the car will re-get a geo as it seems to have settled down a bit.

So second try should be the good one.
Old 05-24-2019, 06:25 PM
xdecock
Advanced

Ok so good news with an issue for a simple technical details the car is finally ready for registration and insurance chassis is perfectly straight great news

Can't wait.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:11 PM
miahmiwen
3rd Gear

So.
We did it.
Back on the road !
Old 06-03-2019, 03:23 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Make sure to post lots of pics so we can all live vicariously through your adventure!

Quick Reply: Ready for Le Mans 2019