Sponsored by:

New cam = new rockers

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 12:38 AM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 164 Posts
Default New cam = new rockers

Considering going with a new cam (possibly 9m) and was recomended to replace the rockers as well. However after researching here a bit I found they even new rockers need to be refinished to be square. In that case any reason not to just have the original (70,000 miles) refinished? If so where? Honestly looking at the used units I was just planning on throwing the back in- no pitting and the bushes still tight to the shafts. Any thoughts about this?

Pete
Old 06-13-2019, 02:08 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Reconditioned rockers should ALWAYS be used with new cams, otherwise the chances of failure are quite high, sooner or later.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:58 AM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

That’s good to hear Steve. Are new rockers square out of the box? I believe I read one of your posts that they always need to be squared off. Some guys diy it with sheet glass and fine sand paper but it seems pretty difficult to get a perfectly square surface to me.

I’m having difficulty finding a place to resurface here in japan.

Ps- I’ll be in touch soon re.motion control.....
Old 06-13-2019, 11:30 AM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by Peteinjp
That’s good to hear Steve. Are new rockers square out of the box? I believe I read one of your posts that they always need to be squared off. Some guys diy it with sheet glass and fine sand paper but it seems pretty difficult to get a perfectly square surface to me.

I’m having difficulty finding a place to resurface here in japan.

Ps- I’ll be in touch soon re.motion control.....
New rockers are NOT square and need to be properly reground so the cams are not damaged. We made a special fixture to do this and IMHO, this isn't a DIY project.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:50 AM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 413 Likes on 286 Posts

Didn't know this. Aren't new rockers...new? As in, the same that went on the cars originally? Those seemed to last quite a while. I'd be tempted to use some gear marking compound to see what the contact patch looks like.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:58 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Why hasn’t someone developed a roller rocker arm for the P engine?? Just seems like a logical step that has never been taken
Old 06-15-2019, 09:26 AM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Rollers would be interesting! Would require different camshaft profile as well?

My records came out in excellent condition as far as the bushing rocker shaft clearance. With a little number of miles on the car the pads also look very good but I’ll recheck them.

My mechanic and said he has never had an issue with a replacement rocker and poor wear on camshaft or rocker pad. That said I’m not in the mood to take any chances and I’m reaching out to other people to see what kind of results they’ve had with new rockers.

Pete
Old 06-15-2019, 12:49 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Roller rocker are been tried, but they do not work due to rocker arm geometry and cam location.

One would need to completely redesign the cam housings to accommodate those things and its just not cost effective.

Quick Reply: New cam = new rockers