Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can K&N filter damage my 964????

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 03:45 PM
jtkkz
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The bottom line is K&N filter good to use or not?

Is it worth it ? Will it make a difference?

Is stock filter better?
Old 02-24-2004, 04:42 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Jon,
You are asking the same question which was asked to start this thread in the first place.
There are those for and those against and all have made their points in this thread. Please read each post but then you have to make the final decision. Nobody else can make it for you.
Adrian
964C4
Old 02-24-2004, 04:59 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

IMHO, a K&N air filter is GOOD to use, no matter what road or track driven car you own. They have YEARS of research, and if the things made any vehicle LOSE HP, then they wouldn't have a market, now would they?

I won't claim that it gains any HP for the 964, but I wouldn't think it would harm it or make it LOSE HP either.

K&N is a reputable company, been in the hotrod biz for years...now they have filters available for almost every car on the road.

My point is, if you want a K&N, get one, everything will be "OK"...keep it maintained about once a year, more often if you live on say a dirt/gravel road, etc. -or- you track the car often...and do NOT over-oil it.

Another good filter is a BME...as for a stock airfilter, me personally??

...not in the near future.
Old 02-24-2004, 05:36 PM
Wikkid911
Remarkable
Rennlist Member

After 4 pages of views, I have reached the same conclusion I did with my undertray. I think i'm going to leave mine as it is.
Old 02-24-2004, 05:47 PM
ian c - u.k

after 4 pages of views , what does k+n stand for ??
Old 02-24-2004, 08:46 PM
jtkkz
Banned

So much mixed reviews.

My good friend actually owns Dyno Labs (www.dynolabs.net)

One of this days I will get my car dynoed with air cup box/K&N and stock air box with stock filter.

We will find out eventually whether this companies really claim any HP gains.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:02 AM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I'll use the K&N that I bought with my cup intake, and put 5-6K miles on it over the next 2 years then just throw it away and either put the paper filter I'm now removing back in or buy another K&N. I drive the car so little, I definitely don't want to screw anything up with some ***-backwards filter spray. I know many readers put many more miles on their 964 a year, so this is not very economical for them...

My problem is, and I failed to tell you guys in my original post- is while I bought the fabspeed cup airbox cover and K&N, my wife really told me to get it for a birthday present and give it to her to wrap. I'm supposed to forget about it so I'm surprised in May on my birthday....now that I got the car out of winter hibernation, I want to install to get the sound now!!! Now I remember what I didn't like about being a kid- when I had to wait for Santa
Old 03-04-2004, 07:58 PM
tierraman
Intermediate

I've used the k&n on a few cars with no problems and sold all of them before the filter needed replacement or cleaning. I agree with Andrew, to use out of the box and then throw away without cleaning (or sell the car before problems start.......he he, just kidding).

Quick Reply: Can K&N filter damage my 964????