Can K&N filter damage my 964????

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 07:57 PM
ian c - u.k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey donut man ,
what filter is that ???
website address ??

now , here's my 2p worth ...................
heard of VAG instructing technicians to remove oiled cone filters from audi TT engines when they came in for service .
oil contaminating wire in maf .

cant see a problem with standard 964 air-meter ................ as golf gti's etc. have been running round with oiled cones since 1988 , and they have same type sensor . it is only on the 993 "wire type" that may get problems .

by the way , i once got a RAMAIR panel filter for a mark1 gti golf , boy was that thing oiled !! just unwrapping it i was filthy !!
Old 02-12-2004, 09:36 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Posted the question to the PCA (porsche club of america) website this morning at same time I posted the question here in the Rennlist forum....looks like everyone is pretty much in agreement...and I feel better now! If I eventually wind up cleaning this thing, I'll pay attention not to overoil it...or instead of buying the cleaning/oiling kit, I'll just buy another one.

I want the K&N sound man, I want the sound

Thanks

Here is the PCA answer to my question by the way:
Answer:
No the 964 can't be damaged like that. You don't have have a mass
airflow sensor if your car is stock. The 993 was the first 911 to use a mass
airflow sensor; your car has the last of the previous generation Bosch
system with the "barn door" flapper that is used to measure the
incoming airflow. It is less responsive and maybe less accurate, but more
reliable.

Peter (my note: Peter is the Boxter tech guy on the PCA site) really knows his stuff, and I have also heard of mass airflow
sensor problems from excess filter oil. What I don't know is whether this
was with the original factory oiling of the filter, or whether it was
not until after the owners cleaned the filters themselves (which is OK),
and then over-oiled them (which is not OK, but easy to do).
Joel Reiser - PCA WebSite - 2/12/2004
Old 02-12-2004, 10:23 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by ian c - u.k
hey donut man ,
what filter is that ???
website address ??
That's the Evomotorsports intake system, a Rennlist sponsor. Some of your local vendors, Type-911 IIRC, offer a similar if not same item but at a hefty premium. If you want this item, you may well consider a purchase direct from Evo.

I recall taking a friend's 10 year old son for a ride in my then new to me 964 freshly after drilling the airbox. I hit the pedal and out came this great sound as we were pinned to our seats. I'll never forget the kid's face ... it was one of those "Wow! What was that?!" expressions. He didn't say a word--it was just one big grin.

One of my favorite 964 moments.
Old 02-13-2004, 03:23 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

My opinion on this:

If you install a new K&N or Green cotton air filter, there is nothing nothing that can go wrong.
If you need to clean the thing, then would this first after more then 30000 miles or up. The problem is that too much oil will be used by the owners after cleaning the thing. You need just a little, very thin film spray on the filter. The filter on it's own will filter enough without the oil. It's better to use some filter oil but soo less that you hardly will se this on the filter.

Too much oil will suck into the air intake and could grease the sensor in the air flow meter. I don't think it will brake the sensor, but it will make it full of grease and so it will measure wrong data. Clean it with brake cleaner and the sensor works fine again.

WHY WOULD USE FORMULA 1 TEAMS AND INDY CAR TEAMS THOSE FILTERS IF THEY WOULD DAMAGE ANY PARTS????
Old 02-13-2004, 04:15 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default FWIW...

...I've been using K&N air filters in ALL of my performance/racing vehicles since my first Porsche...a 1982 924S.

I agree that over-oiling the filter can cause oil to migrate into the intake, airflow meter, etc. but it shouldn't be of major concern with the 964, unless there's A LOT of oil in there, in which I do agree it could cause idling issues??

I don't seem to have any issues regarding my K&N airfilters, the one in my 964 or the one in my Sports Toyota racer...but an ankle that I broke years ago seems to ache on rainy days.
Old 02-13-2004, 05:11 AM
Roygarth
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by andrew911

I want the K&N sound man, I want the sound
You should have just drilled your air box!
Old 02-13-2004, 08:23 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Yes, Piers is right,
A K&N filter only will not give you the wanted sound. Drill the damn filter cover like on www.porsche964.co.uk is shown, and you will have the ultimate sound in the back.
Old 02-13-2004, 09:03 AM
dove
Banned

Originally posted by Arjan B.
Yes, Piers is right,
A K&N filter only will not give you the wanted sound. Drill the damn filter cover like on www.porsche964.co.uk is shown, and you will have the ultimate sound in the back.
Arjan, For the best sound do both!!

Paul
Old 02-13-2004, 09:53 AM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

I hear you Roygarth, but I couldn't bring myself to drill the airbox on an otherwise totally stock car with only 16,000 miles....so I got the fabspeed carbon fiber cover which looks very nice in my opinion.

I want the sound yes, but I really just want to drive!!! When is this weather going to get warmer and the road salt wash away??? No comments from the California/Florida guys about the beautiful sunset blah, blah, blah...

On a more serious note, all of the imput on this thread is very helpful to me, and I'm sure to others.. Thanks guys (and gals?)

Andrew
Old 02-13-2004, 10:40 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Paul, yes both will be better. The stock air filter and cover give the enigine not enough air. By drilling the holes in the filter cover you will
improve the intake from fresh air, and so the better filling [fuel and air mixture] to have more HP's and a smoother running engine if power is required.
The better sound is a second positive thing in this.
Old 02-13-2004, 11:17 AM
Roygarth
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Arjan B.
The stock air filter and cover give the engine not enough air.
At best debatable!
Old 02-13-2004, 11:20 AM
pzull
Burning Brakes

No Arjan, get one of these and you get F1 sound and with the ram-air effect that will increase the boost on the air-fuel mixture, you get to about 90% of an F1 car (well maybe only a 2003 season Minardi, but still).

If you want Williams F1 power, sound and throttle response, you will need to mate it with a flux capacitor.....or was that DeLorean performance?
Old 02-13-2004, 12:27 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I have to agree totally with Piers here. I have spent many hours discussing the subject of airflow in Porsches with Porsche engineering people. They were adamant that for normal road use the 964 stock air box and air filter system is perfectly matched to the throttle valve size and the ability of the air flow sensor to read accurately the airflow.
There is zero evidence that any alleged improvement to the stock airflow system increases HP or torque. The noise yes and I have a drilled airbox because I to, like the noise.
My problem with the K&N filter system is the oil and seeing as I have been involved in a number of clean out fixes because of excess oil usage I do not recommend this type of system on its own (waste of money). As part of a larger modification system for the race track is no problem because the owner will be much more in tune with maintenance issues.
For the average 964 owner who only uses his or her 964 on the road, drill the airbox.
I have run the drilled airbox through winter to see what happens (again) and this winter I struck no problems at all. Still a month or so of bad weather to go. Touch wood.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 02-13-2004, 01:00 PM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Pzull,

Well,I have to say that is a nice piece of art, and i think that it will sound great.
Isn't it a grear water collector, and because is could collect water from rain/washing, it could caus major engine faillure.

I can only say that I had no smooth acceleraqtion from 2000 rpm till 6000 rpm before I drilled the air filter box. Engine had a little struggle in a certain range of RPM. Now the problem is gone, so I think it was a breath problem of the engine, and the proof is that I covered the holes and put back in the [still clean] stock filter, and there it was, the struggle in acceleration............
So, what is right and what is wrong????

I think that if an engine has a better breath, it will run better.

Why did the Carrera Cup had their Open Filter Box??
Wy is a air box #1 on the list of a race car engineer?
Old 02-13-2004, 01:12 PM
pzull
Burning Brakes

Arjan,

I don't know, does an F1 engine sound good to you? I find it sometimes annoying when I'm trying to sleep :P

Oh the water was intentional, haven't you heard so many people say "if porsche could have made it better they would have"? Well they did make the 996 better than the 964 didn;t they? otherwise it wouldn;t be the newer improved model. Well the 996 is a water cooled engine and I was trying to get halfway there albeit only on rainy days

but seriously, no difference in sound to drilled airbox and no problems from even the heaviest rains (which I get in my equatorial climate) as there are two drainage valves at the bottom. The best effect I have noticed is less sluggishness in hotter weather compared to before - guess it's due to drawing cooler air outside engine bay. Otherwise, I win the "biggest waste of money" prize

Quick Reply: Can K&N filter damage my 964????