Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a good guide to replacing Targa top gaskets?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 04:40 PM
forty2
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Is there a good guide to replacing Targa top gaskets?

There's a long video in German that seems to come up over and over when I searched about this. Aside from the language barrier, I work far better from text and photos than a video I have to pause and back up repeatedly. Any good resources?

The front gasket is the priority since it's got a substantial tear and is the likely source for the howling I get with the top on and windows up. The rear is old and worn, but not failed in the same way as the front. I've got a set of gaskets that came with the car and hopefully they go in without much headache.

Old 04-18-2019, 09:21 PM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Yes, there is a booklet that Porsche has published. I don't have the reference off the top of my head but if you search the posts I started, you will find it.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:10 PM
forty2
Advanced

Originally Posted by cjoenck
Yes, there is a booklet that Porsche has published. I don't have the reference off the top of my head but if you search the posts I started, you will find it.
Cool, I'll check it out. Thanks.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:10 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

When you get ready to do the rear feel free to send me a PM, I’ve done this one and it’s not difficult.

Also when you do change out the front post up some pics of the process, I know I and others would be interested in this.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:28 AM
forty2
Advanced

I'm probably going to do the front in the first part of next week, will document as best I can. The rear won't be too far behind, but I'm going to need to pick up some of those plastic trim rivets that flank the locator pin holes, I'm not finding them in the boxes of parts that came with the car and from what I'm reading they aren't reusable.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:40 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

The plastic pins are definitely not reusable, you will damage them when pulling them out. There’s little black plugs that you will need to remove/reuse from your existing pins. If they’re missing they are still available for purchase.

You’ll also need some permatex gasket adhesive which any auto parts store will have. I’ll try to post a picture here so you know what to get.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:35 PM
jonathant
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Targa top repair bulletin

Another forum member kindly shared this Porsche bulletin with me some months ago. I've improved the top sealing a lot just by making adjustments but will probably need to replace a seal or two on mine soon also. The first section in this bulletin covers top adjustments, the second section covers seal replacement. It's meant for 911 Targas (e.g. g-body) rather than the 964 but most of the steps are (or appear to be) the same.
Attached Images
Old 04-22-2019, 01:54 PM
forty2
Advanced

Originally Posted by jonathant
Another forum member kindly shared this Porsche bulletin with me some months ago. I've improved the top sealing a lot just by making adjustments but will probably need to replace a seal or two on mine soon also. The first section in this bulletin covers top adjustments, the second section covers seal replacement. It's meant for 911 Targas (e.g. g-body) rather than the 964 but most of the steps are (or appear to be) the same.
Excellent, I just got done watching the German language video yet again and about to start the job.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:06 PM
forty2
Advanced

Front windshield seal is done. Still waiting on the replacement clips from Pelican before I dive into the back one.

The car came with a couple boxes of parts including both seals, this is the front one. Looking up the P/N on Pelican shows a superseding P/N so I've got no idea how old this seal is, but it looks good, is here now, and didn't cost a dime.

This is glaring issue with the front, but there are deeper problems as well, fingers crossed that I got all my bases covered.

The old and new seals aren't quite the same. After the momentary panic subsided I test fit the new one. It works. I'm going to be okay.

Lots of dirt, adhesive not really adhering anywhere, and 1/4" diameter rust spot. The rust was easy and the first thing I dealt with, scraped it clean, primed, and sealed. Thankfully it was only the one spot.

Took me about two hours, easily the bulk of the job, to clean the channel around the windshield of all the old adhesive. The top of the channel was pretty easy, I just blocked either end and poured in some thinner to soften the glue and it peeled out pretty easy. Soaking wasn't really as feasible down the sides so I had to resort to just sitting my butt down and resorting to elbow grease. At least the sound of the rain was a nice backdrop for mindless work.

I swear I thought I took a nice picture of the clean channel, but I didn't. Just imagine this without the glue. That's what it looked like.

Then I just stopped documenting altogether. Another test fit and glue time. I was using Permatex Black Rubber Sealant and found it skinning over really fast, so I worked faster. No time for photos.

Glue in and top installed to check fit. Goes back together the same. This bugs me though, the top sits a little high on the driver's side. It always did (always being the last few weeks) so adjustments are probably called for, but rear seal first. Clips show up today or tomorrow and I'll probably tackle the job later in the week when I have some more free time.
The following users liked this post:
Marine Blue (10-30-2020)
Old 10-30-2020, 12:01 PM
rod635
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, I've recently purchased a 964 Targa and are considering changing the seals, are the URO seals OK quality and fit wise? They are a lot more affordable than the genuine article. Also does the edge of the top covering have to angle downwards, mine is pointing upwards and I wonder is this part of the water leak issue and does the cover need replacing or can it be stretched and re-glued?
Old 10-30-2020, 12:40 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

From what I have heard and read the URO seals are not very good.
Old 10-30-2020, 08:56 PM
forty2
Advanced

The URO one sucks, leaks in hard rain. Worst than the ripped OEM one I replaced and swapping it back out is on my winter project list.
Old 10-30-2020, 10:12 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

There is also Service Information Technik - Sealing of Porsche 911 which covers the 964 specifically.
The following users liked this post:
ffc (10-31-2020)
Old 10-31-2020, 09:56 AM
ffc
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Deleted.

Last edited by ffc; 10-31-2020 at 09:57 AM.
Old 10-31-2020, 09:56 AM
ffc
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
There is also Service Information Technik - Sealing of Porsche 911 which covers the 964 specifically.
This is brilliant. Thank you.

Quick Reply: Is there a good guide to replacing Targa top gaskets?